Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing left engine cover (Read 6 times)
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Removing left engine cover
12/15/05 at 21:41:33

I need to remove the left engine cover to install new starter gears. I have removed all but the one bolt hiding behind the kickstand. Do I need to remove the kickstand to get that one off? I hope not. Help???
Thanks

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Re: Removing left engine cover
Reply #1 - 12/15/05 at 22:08:53

I just did it by loosening all 3 bolts on the side stand..The socket just clears..Be sure to get a new gasket !!

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #2 - 12/17/05 at 20:05:17

So I will have to put the bike up on blcoks to finish the job.
Thanks again
Ike

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Neil

Reply #3 - 12/19/05 at 10:39:47

If you live anywhere near harbor frieight (or even if you don't), i highly recommend one of these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=2792

Pretty dang cheap, and comes in really handy.  I don't know what i would do without it.

IP Logged
jrm8486
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/19/05 at 19:46:48

I have a Harbor frieght a block away from my house, I think I just found my X Mas present to myself this year!
It should come in handy,I'm waiting until next month and finally buying that Seeger front end.

IP Logged
XxQualitySealxX
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/21/05 at 11:52:06

Neil wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
If you live anywhere near harbor frieight (or even if you don't), i highly recommend one of these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=2792

Pretty dang cheap, and comes in really handy.  I don't know what i would do without it.

Do you ever have any problems with jacking your Savage up on it? The bottom of my savage is not flat. There is some stuff that sticks out below the frame rails and they are not the most even things. I have made it work by using small pieces of wood shoved under various parts of the frame to make it stable.

IP Logged
jrm8486
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/21/05 at 20:31:59

I went to Harbor Freight today and checked that jack out, It looks very sturdy,the in store price is $61. I'll let everyone know how I like it after the holidays.

IP Logged
Neil

Reply #7 - 12/23/05 at 08:03:02

yea . . . it's pretty sturdy.  Harbor freight is not known for it's high quality, but i think this lift in the exception.  especially for our nice, light bikes.

As for the post above (about having difficulty jacking up the bike).  It is a little odd . . . the bottom of the frame is small.  But, on my '87, it lines up just right to balance on the front and rear curve of the section of frame.  Or, i can line it up with one foot under the flat part of the frame, and the other foot on the exhaust support.  That seems to be the center of gravity.    

Plus, this jack has tie-down loops on the front and back of the base.  So, even if it is balancing a little precariously, you can strap it down nice and tight once you get it lifted.

I got a pair of cheap ratcheting tie-down straps at harbor freight too.  $6 for the pair on sale . . . $10 when not on sale.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47764

I have my bike stripped down to the frame right now.  No way i could have done it without a lift.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 14:48:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing left engine cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.