Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tried to jump start, burnt something (Read 5 times)
Hammy211
Ex Member

Tried to jump start, burnt something
12/15/05 at 00:05:40

Any idea what damage I may have done here.  I decided I might run the Savage for a bit today since I had not go around to winterizing and all I got was clicking from the starter.  I had no problems with it before, so I assumed it was the battery.  I'd always thought not to jump start a bike with a car, but people I know say they have done it, and a post here said it was OK so long as the car was off.  So I tried to jump start the bike.  I had a large pop as I attached the neg to the frame.  Quickly tried to start the bike with no results.  Went to unhook the cables within 5 sec and it was smoking.  Smoked for about a minute after removal.  Lights still worked and everything.  Did I hook up the cables wrong?  I just assumed that the exposed terminal was my positive, but I guess it is black cable in which case I would have hooked it to that and the frame.  Was that the problem, or jumping from the car the problem?  That smoke didn't look good.  Is there something I need to look at to replace?

IP Logged
SavagePielk
Ex Member

Re: Tried to jump start, burnt something
Reply #1 - 12/15/05 at 00:56:32

check your ignition, but it's not likely you killed any components. The + wire is the wire on the right side of your bike, when sitting (the correct way round  Wink) on your Savage. Good luck!

IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/15/05 at 01:40:14

SavageP is right on and good luck, Hammy!  I've mixed em up on skidoos before in the dark and they were always okay.

Remember when TV's used to catch fire all the time?  Maybe it was just our old electrohome but i can still remember lying in front of it, watching a war movie, in 1966.  The Americans dropped a bomb in the movie and some real smoke came up the back out of the TV!  Maybe that was a precursor to Hollywood special fx?? Wink

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/15/05 at 02:57:51

jimbrough wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
SavageP is right on and good luck, Hammy!  I've mixed em up on skidoos before in the dark and they were always okay.

Remember when TV's used to catch fire all the time?  Maybe it was just our old electrohome but i can still remember lying in front of it, watching a war movie, in 1966.  The Americans dropped a bomb in the movie and some real smoke came up the back out of the TV!  Maybe that was a precursor to Hollywood special fx?? Wink

Now your showing your age Smiley  I was watching He-man on a 27" when I was a kid.  

Thanks for the tips.  The positive doesn't seem obviously accesable from the quick peek I just took.  I have the seat off.  Do I need to take something else apart to get to it?  I will try again tomorrow with the car.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 12/15/05 at 05:02:47

makes it a little easier to reach if you pull off the toolbox cover - but still not an easy thing to do with full size jumper cables - i use a small clamp and wire as a pigtail
the clamp is a bit under 1/2" wide and the positive here and neg to the frame/engine - after you hook this up correctly just let it sit that way with the car turned off for a few minutes, say like 20 ,  to wake up the bike battery - odds are you smoked the ground cable - maybe more serious but I doubt it.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 12/15/05 at 08:20:38

For future reference:

For negatively ground electrical systems, the positive terminal is the "hot" terminal.  It will GENERALLY be covered, since it will throw a spark if it contacts the frame.  The negative terminal can contact the frame with impunity.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #6 - 12/15/05 at 08:29:00

It is hard to give You a definite answer, but I think You hooked the cables wrong. The positive terminal is in the right side. I think, You fried the insulation ofthe  negative cable, that attaches the battery to the engine /not such a big deal/.
You will have to replace it eventually.
Now  the most important part - make Your future life easier.
When You get to the "+" terminal of the battery, attach 1' piece of 8 or 10 gauge red wire to the terminal, route it , so the free end is easily accessIble and put a cap on it. This end will be used for future charging or jump-starting of the bike.  There is nothing wrong in using a car to jump-start a bike if you hook the cables correctly.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 12/15/05 at 08:52:25

When I have had occasion to jump mine, I use a long phillips screwdriver that I have slid a piece of plastic hose over to insulate the shank. I can then attach the + booster pac clamp to the shank under the handle and press the tip of the SD onto the + terminal after pushing aside the insulating boot.  The negative clamps anywhere so if it sparks it won't burn the chrome. It help to have someone extra there to hold the clutch handle in so you can push the start button and hold the SD on the + terminal. Best way would be to have a hard wired extension on the battery with a insulated cover or at least insulated + terminal, Wires would have to be larger in diameter (smaller # in gage size) to prevent them being a resistance to a good jump. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #8 - 12/15/05 at 11:55:38

for just a couple bucks you could pick up a small battery charger and charge the battery that way, it has the perfect size clamps to fit the battery. works great 8)

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 12/15/05 at 15:26:10

Suzuki didn't make it easy to get to the positive terminal on the battery, a lot of people hook up a insulated pigtail to it. To really confuse people they also have a black wire running to the positive terminal on the starter motor, at least on my '02 they did. ???

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #10 - 12/15/05 at 21:30:02

the loud pop when you connected the ground, could have been bike battery exploding. check top of bike battery b4 going jumping again. BTDT IN IHE DARK.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:20:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tried to jump start, burnt something

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.