Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
top speed (Read 10 times)
jason heck

top speed
12/14/05 at 15:57:52

I am thinking of buying a s40, but I have seen some people say that it can't go fast enough to be safe on the highway.  Can anyone give me their opinion?  I am 5' 11" tall and weigh 180 lbs.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: top speed
Reply #1 - 12/14/05 at 16:03:43

Go and get one!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll love it.

Greetz

Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/14/05 at 16:09:28

Jason:  I'm 6'4" and have one but it is a bit small for me.  Just got it a year ago and have put 10000 km. on it.  In the summer, rode it out to the west coast and came back - got monkey butt every day after 7 or 8 hours but the bike worked great--never had a problem in all the time i was away.  the thing cruised all day at 65 or 70.  it has a top speed of 85 mph...when cruising at 70 and i want to pass somebody, there is still a bit of oomph left.

it vibrates a bit but it's the perfect choice for a first bike!don't let supposed lack of speed deter you!!

Cheers!

Jim

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/14/05 at 16:32:52

As a 1st bike I think Suzuki Savage is the best choice for style, price, and value.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 12/14/05 at 16:46:46

the savage is also well suited for experienced riders.

it's like this,  the savage is a good bike for begginers, yet it is far from a begginers bike.  

buy one you''ll enjoy it.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 12/14/05 at 16:56:53

Mighty easy to work on and tweak a bit to add some  more zip if your so inclined

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 12/14/05 at 19:08:31

With a little tweaking and few alterations you can release the SAVAGE BEAST within.

IP Logged
saabsaviur
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/14/05 at 19:26:45

hey im 5'9 and 250lbs i can cruise 85 no problem ya itsa small bike but it is no problem and i am totally confident in them

IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/14/05 at 19:51:56

There are plenty of people on this site who ride Savages and S40s on major highways in Dallas, Los Angeles every day.  Plenty more who have taken it on major road trips.  As for size, I'm 6'0 and 168 and it feels less crampy than a Harley 883 Sportster. It all depends on what you're planning on using it for.

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #9 - 12/14/05 at 20:10:52

I'm 5'9", 185 lb, and the Savage has taken me through Interstates, back country roads, state highways in various states of disrepair, busy boulevards...and never given me any trouble.  I think top speed is listed by suzuki at 88 mph, and I can't really imagine a time when you'll need to top 88mph in order to save yourself.  I've passed cars going uphill at 70, so the top speed shouldn't concern you much.

No, it's not the most powerful bike in the world.  It doesn't have the passing power of a much larger bike or a sportbike.  But it has plenty to get you moving as fast as you need to.  And with greater style than most.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
kikuchiyo
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/14/05 at 21:12:41

It feels that the bike can do more than 88mph. I took it up to 85-86mph numerous times.  I do not go over partly due to a) rarely do traffic condition allow to go over 70-75 (I live in NYC) b)vibration c)potholes d) it is not really healthy for the bike to go into upper limits.
As far as recommendations, - all bikes are fun. And no matter what bike you will end up buying, there is always another bike that you wish you have had.
(I wish I had KLR650 or DR650)

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/14/05 at 21:44:49

I agree that the Savage is unsafe to ride on highway.  In its stock form I had trouble on most days and if I had a headwind acceleration was not an option.  That said a few minor and very easy modifications make this bike perfectly capable and transform how the bike behaves.  Even at 75 and a headwind there is still plenty of acceleration now if I need it.  What I did like most, rejet, K&N, sportster muffler.  Total cost, around $100.  This site has plenty of how-tos on it.  You should do all at once, and it would easily be done in an afternoon if you have everything you need.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #12 - 12/15/05 at 01:52:00

Does the Savage have a high speed wobble ?, KLX has one at 95+ mph.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/15/05 at 03:15:38

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Does the Savage have a high speed wobble ?, KLX has one at 95+ mph.

Clive W  Cheesy

I have heard other say it does, but I've had mine up to 100 and not experienced any feeling of instability.  Nothing left after that for sure.  I did have a tailwind so I don't know if that makes a difference.  Some have also said a superbrace fixes the wobbles in corners but I don't recall about high speeds.  I would love to have one, but they are just to pricey for now.

IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/15/05 at 04:09:47

I've heard others talk about a high speed wobble, not with the savage, however.  Is this a wive's tale, biker ineptitude, or a real physical fact about some bikes' geometry?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 05:18:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › top speed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.