Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacement throttle sleeve to upgrade grips (Read 14 times)
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Replacement throttle sleeve to upgrade grips
12/13/05 at 20:35:50

Suzuki does not sell a throttle sleeve as a replacement for the Savage, you have to buy their grip. How can you upgrade the grips? Where can this sleeve be found?
Thanks in advance

Ike

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Replacement throttle sleeve to upgrade grips
Reply #1 - 12/14/05 at 05:30:45

Kuryakyn Universal ISO Grips (6240)

Shop around.  I got mine for a much better price on eBay last year.  The 6240 is the correct model for the Savage.  Do some searches on Kuryakyn ISO grips and you'll find folks hints on removal of the old and installation of the new.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 12/14/05 at 06:21:37

I just put a set of eGrips on my Savage and I love them.  They are from Custom Chrome but I got them on ebay...(of course)...from a shop in Myrtle Beach that was clearing out some stuff.  They are made of a semi-soft rubber that is VERY NONSLIP and anti-vibration.  They really FEEL GOOD, and the shape makes it easy to hang on with virtually no effort.  On the Vet's Ride this past weekend there was a world of difference in riding comfort.

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #3 - 12/14/05 at 20:26:25

Lancer, what did you use for a throttle sleeve?
Thanks

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #4 - 12/14/05 at 20:27:17

Savage_Rob,

Do they come with the throttle sleeve?
Thanks

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #5 - 12/14/05 at 20:47:10

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 12/15/05 at 06:26:28

I bought mine on ebay, from a bike shop located in Myrtle Beach, SC.  The grips came with a new throttle sleeve, but I do  not know if the grips always have it included because it was not in the box with the grips...it was seperate.
When I did the replacement I decided to use the stock sleeve because it was in good shape and I didn't want to take the time to make the switch.

Theikeman:  The set you referenced on ebay is the same type that I got.  If I remember correctly, the retail price of these grips  in the Custom Chrome catalog is about $35-45.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 12/15/05 at 06:47:05

theikeman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:

I paid $27 for mine, so you should jump on this one and hopefully get them for this great price.

By the way, when bidding on ebay it is best to wait until the VERY LAST MINUTE before putting in your best bid price.  Otherwise, if you bid every time someone else puts in a bid, you will drive the price up more than necessary.  I choose not to bid at all until the auction time drops below 1 minute...if possible I make my last bid at 40 seconds.  That way, if I get the top bid no one else has enough time to go back and bid again at a higher price than my bid.

The only time I bid early in the auction is if I am the very first bidder and the starting auction  price is rediculously llow.   Doing that puts the item on my bid list and if no one else bids on it I then get the product at the low initial bid price.

There is a definite statagey for winning on ebay.  You need to have a definite  $ amount in mind that you will not go above.  That way you will avoid the  trap of bidding too much during the heat of the auction.  THIS IS VERY REAL.  Set a price and stick to it, and if the other bidders go above that price then just walk away from it.  There will always be another item come along.  And the last part of it is the "Last minute bid".

I worked the system for several months before I won the Progressive 412 shock set.  And I waited for over a year before I was able to win the Progressive 418 shock set at the price I wanted.  They retail for $450+ and I got them for $125.  They usually sell for $250 on ebay but by waiting patiently I finally got my set for an unusually low price.  One of the reasons for the low price is that the seller had listed them in the wee hours of the morning, and so the auction ended in the wee hours of the morning, and there was only one other bidder that waited up for the auction to end.  And I beat him during the last minute bidding.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 12/15/05 at 11:26:35

theikeman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Savage_Rob,

Do they come with the throttle sleeve?
Thanks

I don't remember if they came with one or not.  I don't think so.  I used the advice of several others who had used these grips and went with the stock sleeve.  The stock sleeve will have ridges on it that you'll need to remove.  Some folks used sandpaper or grinders or even a razor.  I used a wood rasp and they buffed right off.  The main thing is to read the instructions first and be ready to position them fairly quickly.  The glue they provide is really tough stuff.  In fact, I just picked up a pullback type bar and am now wondering how I'll get the left grip off the current one.  Hmmm.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Reply #9 - 12/17/05 at 20:03:35

Problem is, old sleeve is a re-glue,  ???I'm afraid it will break again at just the appropriate time, I wonder if a marauder 800 sleeve/grip will work? I tried a harley sleeve, fits too tight for throttle to return.
Thanks
Ike

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Replacement throttle sleeve to upgrade grips[u
Reply #10 - 12/18/05 at 10:02:42

It appears this thread has migrated to this one:

Broken throttle grip

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:33:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacement throttle sleeve to upgrade grips

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.