Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
White spacer problems (Read 10 times)
pgolden
Ex Member

White spacer problems
12/13/05 at 16:15:02

I changed my main jet today. I did not know what size was in there. I had a 155 and replaced it with a 152.5.
Then I attempted to look at the white spacer, there is not one in there. One of the little phillips head screws is rounded out. I hope it runs OK with no spacer. Any suggestions to remove the screw? Thanks

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: White spacer problems
Reply #1 - 12/13/05 at 18:42:10

I would try very hard to get that screw out and add a half spacer. Spray the scew liberally with PB Blaster ( penetrating oil from the auto parts) and see if you can grab the head with the pointy vice grips.

http://wilsonb.wheelsup.org/images/Tools%20011.jpg

All the screws in those carbs are very soft and stip easily  :'(

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 12/13/05 at 18:48:23

man that's a fact - have replaced them all on both bikes
and those little plate screws are #1 phillps you put a #0 on them and it'll strip almost every time

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/13/05 at 18:58:19

The jet was a 155, so I know the carb has been worked on. I don't have a spacer to measure to know what "half" spacer thickness is going to be. Thanks

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/13/05 at 19:18:26

Just checked the log - the original spacer on mine was .10".

Yeah, I take too many notes.

Half to two-thirds is the ballpark for spacer size; mine is at .06".  I'd bet that having no spacer would be a little too rich.  

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/13/05 at 19:47:02

Thanks for the measurements. I am off the next couple of days, so I will get those screws out one way or another. I think I will try to go with half thickness. I am installing a sportster muffler also. I ordered a K&N air filter and have bought one of those $12.00 NGK spark plugs. The bike had a Jardine muffler when I bought it, I can't stand the noise.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #6 - 12/15/05 at 07:13:55

I took out the white spacer and did not want to destoy it.
Used 2 #4 brass washers. Had to file them a bit. Was slightly rich with 2, so added one. Filed the last ones thickness down so am actually at 2.5 washers or close. When I'm through playing(probably won't ever happen) I can measure and shave the original.
I guess I'm that way about modifications. Never do something I cannot undo, just in case.
In my line of work, have done many factory modifications. They usually start with"locate cable, cut connectors and remove from harness". I'm thinking, "I ain't real smart, but I believe I'll leave it".

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/15/05 at 07:33:55

I found my spacer, it was on my workbench. I filed it to 1/16". I have a fear of running too rich, it can wash the oil from the cylinder wall.

IP Logged
dubb-1b
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/18/05 at 11:19:23

one question. after replacing the spacer does it matter which way the plate goes in ? i can't find any pics. are two holes open and does the dimple go down or up?

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #9 - 12/18/05 at 11:32:35

Don't worry about the dimple. Just make sure everything alignes good. You will find-out  that there is only one way to put it back correctly.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #10 - 12/18/05 at 15:58:43

dubb-1b wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
one question. after replacing the spacer does it matter which way the plate goes in ? i can't find any pics. are two holes open and does the dimple go down or up?  

I asked the same question - It's down...I was pointed to this thread...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
dubb-1b
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/18/05 at 19:38:02

thanks alot. you guys rock!!!

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #12 - 12/18/05 at 21:43:18

clueless wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I took out the white spacer and did not want to destoy it.
Used 2 #4 brass washers. I guess I'm that way about modifications. Never do something I cannot undo, just in case.

So am I. I bought a second white spacer from my Suzuki dealer and filed that one  Wink Now I have a half spacer in the carb and a spare whole spacer. I don't think I paid much for it.

IP Logged
SavagePielk
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/19/05 at 00:05:49

pgolden wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
The jet was a 155, so I know the carb has been worked on. I don't have a spacer to measure to know what "half" spacer thickness is going to be. Thanks

The standard size for some of the Savages is 155. I have a 1988 Californian Savage and it's original main jet was a 155, I looked it up twice. I just took out the white washer, but with a 155 it's still too poor, I'll have to buy a 160 or 165 for it.

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/19/05 at 03:27:22

I stripped out those little screws when I was doing my carb.  I used one of those bits where you drill a small hole and then use a special larger bit that jams itself in and revearses the screw out.  Went very smooth, but I remember the bit was just barely long enough to reach all the way down.  I had to tighten it right at the tip of the drill.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 10:37:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › White spacer problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.