Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
AMAL carb questions (round 2) (Read 1 times)
defrag
Ex Member

AMAL carb questions (round 2)
12/10/05 at 11:59:41

I got a Amal carb from lancer, but am now realizing that its a little bit more than just swapping it out with the old one, I have figurfed out the throttle cable setup w/ yalls help.

Now I am trying to figure out where the 2 gas lines from the tank run into on the carb.

There are 2 places on the carb which look right, one is capped off though with a black plug. Should I remove the plug and hook both lines up? They look almost identical and are pretty much side by side on the bottom of the carb

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: AMAL carb questions (round 2)
Reply #1 - 12/10/05 at 16:50:45

is that a markII you have - I should probally read your other post and find out - if it is - so far as I remember it does not have a vac take off for the fuel petc0ck  -  it has a vent and fuel line - is that your question?

IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/10/05 at 17:13:36

Ya I have a Mark4

Well, my petcock has 2 lines, ones fuel and i assumed the other was vacumm,

however on the carb, there is 1 line that looks like a fuel line, and 1 that is plugged up with a rubber cap.

Do I run the fuel and vac line from the petcock to both these on the carb? i ask because it does not look right to me, they both appear to be gas lines

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 12/10/05 at 17:21:41

Did you get the email I sent you about the carb?

IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/10/05 at 18:21:43

just got it, reading now  8)

IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/10/05 at 19:36:31

still confused  ???

Two lines from Petcock

Should they both run to the banjo part of the carb?

You know what Im talking about where the one end of the two-sided banjo is plugged Lancer?

IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/10/05 at 19:42:45

For example, the lines would run like this

[img=http://server2.ihostphotos.com/imgt/35034.jpg]

If not like that, then where wo uld the vac line from the pet-coc run?

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #7 - 12/10/05 at 21:17:01

Very simple, very easy. The Amal has NO vacuum port. That has been stated. Turn the petc0ck to Prime and see which line flows fuel. Connect that to your Amal's fuel inlet. Plug the other line (the vacuum line) because it's of no use with the Amal. To run the bike turn the petc0ck to Prime. To shut off the fuel when parked turn it to On.

IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/11/05 at 09:56:08

Thanks!

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #9 - 12/11/05 at 11:24:57

What I'm wondering is what defrag will do for reserve. Is the reserve position dependent on vacuum to the petc0ck ?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 12/11/05 at 13:06:44

yes the res is vac operated, on pri it will just drain the tank - either tap in a vac take off , should not be very difficult, or convert to a manual petc0ck - the later seems more involved via bobo's instructions than a vac tap - never did measure how much the diaphram needed to work proper - my amal is still in the box.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 12/11/05 at 18:40:10

It's really very easy to add a vacuum port to the carb.  Lancer explained it as follows:

Quote:
It is very easy to do.  I picked up a little baggie of brass tubes at Lowes, about 10/bag, 1/8x1", with a slight bell flare at one end.  I cut and filed the flare off so it is straight on both ends.  On the engine side of the carb bore, at about the 2 oclock position (almost but not quite under the choke handle) I drilled a tiny hole (about 1mm) through the  carb wall, then drill another hole on top of the little one about 3/4 on the way through the wall (leaving a floor in the hole bottom)...the same diameter as the brass tube...then using epoxy glue set the tube in the hole and tap lightly to seat it securely in the bottom of the hole.  I angled the drilled holes a little toward the engine.  

The entire process takes about 5 minutes to do, then you let it sit until the epoxy is completely cured.  Some epoxy's will set in 5 minutes and others take several hours...just a personal choice depending on how you like to work.

I picked up a small brass hose splice from Home Depot, modified it slightly by  shortening one end of it to fit into the dual-diameter hole arrangement Lancer described and used metal epoxy (which is the same color as the aluminum carb) to fasten it.  It has a wider band in the center of it that creates a nice base against the carb and more surface area for the epoxy.  It actually looks like it was made as part of the carb except that it's brass.  The ridges on it are designed for a solid airtight splice without using hose-clamps, so it may not allow the tubing to be removed from that end without cutting the tubing but that's okay by me.  The only thing I overlooked was angling the hole(s) toward the engine.  It doesn't seem to have adversely affected its operation though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
defrag
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/13/05 at 20:16:15

Just FYI

The bike is running now! I havent rode this thing in 2 years and now im out crusing the neighborhood scaring the crap out of people w/ the straight pipe and new Amal carb!

Thanks lancer for getting this boy going again!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 12/13/05 at 22:36:42

Ahhhhh, there's nothing like the sound of a good running motorcycle.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 12/19/05 at 14:41:03

I had just sort of ballpark tuned mine by ear but after riding it a bit since, I'm reluctant to do anything else to it.  It feels great.  I did note I'm getting a very small amount of oil in my carb though it should clean out on its own.  I lubed the cable before installing it and then found out it's not an external connection.  I'd already let most of any excess drain out of it before installing it so it should be okay.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 17:19:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › AMAL carb questions (round 2)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.