Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best way to remove tank dents? (Read 2 times)
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Best way to remove tank dents?
12/09/05 at 20:03:12

Anyone know the best way to remove tank dents? I've got a 4" x 2" dent on the left side of my tank, up front near the corner. I've heard of the dry ice method, the suction cup method & the sliding weight method but I don't want to drill into the tank for that one. I hope I don't have to bondo it 'cause I'll have to match the color, paint, etc. Anyone recommend one over the other? I've hammered out dents on my car but I can't get my hand in the tank! ??? Thanks for any help. I got the dent when I propped up my bike on a concrete block to get the back wheel off & it fell over before I could grab it. I REALLY need to make that $20 bike stand! Tongue

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Best way to remove tank dents?
Reply #1 - 12/09/05 at 21:21:45

I have heard of the pop method for insane people on motorcycle tanks - little bit of gas in the tank swooshed around, drop a match at the fuel cap hole, and duck

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #2 - 12/10/05 at 05:21:00

i know u can get a special gas cap for some bikes,that u hook up to a air compressor then pressureize the inside of the tank causing the dent to pop out.

IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/10/05 at 06:05:12

I tried jamming a hockey stick end into the tank once on my old kawi and pounding on that with alittle sledge and it sorta worked!

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #4 - 12/10/05 at 06:50:53

babbalou,
A friend of mine does "paintless dent removal" on autos, and he has attempted to fix dents on some cycle tanks. Seems the metal is too thick. He had to stop or the gas cap area would be destroyed.  Pressurizing the tank could work, but it might take alot of pressure. Have seen a tank cap with a valve stem on it for this purpose though. Best of luck.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 07:20:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best way to remove tank dents?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.