Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
lost gas key! (Read 4 times)
manimal
Ex Member

lost gas key!
12/07/05 at 10:05:08

anyone kow what i can do if i lost my gas key? i informed my nearest suzuki dealer, adn they told me i had to go to a locksmith... i have to bring the bike to a locksmith for one dumb key? Help would be apreciated....

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: lost gas key!
Reply #1 - 12/07/05 at 10:39:02

Is your gas key different from your ignition??? Mine is the same.

IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/07/05 at 10:54:04

Mine too, same as ignition key.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 12/07/05 at 10:54:32

Yeah, I have two different keys.  The main one fits the ignition, gas cap, and toolpouch/battery cover.  The other fits the steering lock.  One of them should fit the helmet lock, though I don't know which because I've never tried it.  I assume it's the ignition key also.  I guess I should try it one of these days to be sure.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #4 - 12/07/05 at 12:48:08

The gas key and the ignition key are the same.  The steering lock is the ONLY key that is different.

So I guess you don't need to worry about putting more gas in the tank ... since you can't start the bike in the first place.

I don't suppose you wrote down the key NUMBER??  It's printed / stamped on the ignition key .. if you had that the dealer should be able to get you a replacement.

Richard in Boston, MA

IP Logged
ethan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/07/05 at 13:20:47

Also, gas cap locks are easy to pick. You can get a lock picking kit online as well as directions.
That does not solve the problem though, but would allow for a short term solution.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 12/07/05 at 13:54:39

Richard Amirault wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I don't suppose you wrote down the key NUMBER??  It's printed / stamped on the ignition key .. if you had that the dealer should be able to get you a replacement.

That may vary depending on the year.  My stock keys have no number.  It was supposedly on a metal tag that came with the keys and the original owner lost it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 12/07/05 at 16:40:55

Being a person that misplaces many things - had 3 spares for each bike almost the day I got them - the ign/main key is common - that fork lock seems like a odd ball - see them on ebay for like $ 6

IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #8 - 12/08/05 at 06:06:26

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
That may vary depending on the year.  My stock keys have no number.  It was supposedly on a metal tag that came with the keys and the original owner lost it.

I have on '04  .. the ignition/gas key has a number stamped on it .. the fork lock is a smaller key and *that* had the number on a metal tag, not on the key itself.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

PS I wrote both numbers in my owners manual!

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #9 - 12/08/05 at 06:37:38

If the ign. and the gas tank keys are different You have 2 options- bring the gas tank or the bike to a Locksmith. If there is only one key - take off the ignition switch and bring it to a Locksmith.
AND THIS TIME PAY FOR 2 OR 3 SETS OF KEYS !

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 12/08/05 at 12:10:05

Richard Amirault wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I have on '04  .. the ignition/gas key has a number stamped on it .. the fork lock is a smaller key and *that* had the number on a metal tag, not on the key itself.

Yup.  You're right.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 06:59:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › lost gas key!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.