YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

In the words of
Socrates:  I
drank WHAT?

New Hampshire
Hi
12/01/05 at 17:06:31

Hello, I have a semi-basket case '86 Savage.  I watched it go from a relatively decent bike to a rolling rat in the span of a few years while it belonged to a neighbor.  I recently picked it up for cheap.  I'd like to make a bobjob/ratbike/chopper/war pig out of it.

After an afternoon of playing with it, I can tell it needs a head gasket, fork seals, rear shocks, a battery, and a lot of cleaning.  Also the rear fender is cocked so that it doesn't sit directly over the rear tire.  I was relieved to find that it was the fender and not the swingarm!

I looked through the Chilton's (Clymer?  I forget which.); I wasn't that impressed.  It does tell you how to perform service procedures, but it doesn't answer more "real world" questions, like, What's the blue wire with the yellow stripe?

Basically I know nothing about this bike except that I like the way it looks and sounds, and it looks like it would be easy for my wife to learn on but still frisky enough to be fun for me.

There seems to be tons of good information on this site, but it's all buried.  Anyone point me in the direction of a few threads on care and feeding of the LS650, and basic performance mods?

Thanksabunch!

O Lord,
Thine ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Hi
Reply #1 - 12/01/05 at 17:16:36

Welcome!

Check out the Technical section.  Very heavy with top notch info.  There is one thread in particular that is called "Mods" where several folks have posted all of there mods and reviews of them.

IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #2 - 12/01/05 at 18:02:45

[glow=red,2,300]welcome [/glow]

IP Logged
penguinsscareme
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

In the words of
drank WHAT?

New Hampshire
Reply #3 - 12/01/05 at 18:08:25

penguinsscareme wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
 Also the rear fender is cocked so that it doesn't sit directly over the rear tire.  I was relieved to find that it was the fender and not the swingarm!

"Thingyed?"  Does [rhymes with rocked] appear as "thingyed" to everyone else too, or just me?  Is c[cough!!]ocked a forbidden word here?  My apologies if so.

O Lord,
Thine ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/01/05 at 18:22:17

CLICK SEARCH!

its a great feature Smiley

oh and check ebaymotors for all kinds of stuff, i have got alot of stuff for cheap.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 12/01/05 at 18:22:43

Welcome to the site.

The filter on this one is odd, to say the least.  It doesn't like sp00n because of p00n.  It defines a b1tch as a pregnant dog rather than simply a female dog.  Go figure.  Most of the time it's easy to figure out what folks mean.  When it's difficult, it's fun to try.

Definitely use the tech section but be sure to read the posting rules at the top of each forum.  Use the search facility too.  The 180 day default is far better than the previous 7 it had and is usually sufficient.  I'll sometimes use 500 though - just to get a really good search.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #6 - 12/01/05 at 18:24:59

I am almost sure , You don't need a head gasket, but You hava the famous oil plug leak /read the posts/. The rear shocks are a breeze to get from ebay and change /or You can go with diff. shocks/. The cleaning is the first thing to do, before You start working.
Read the posts in the technical section as somebody mentioned before. It will worth Your while.
Welcome !

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 12/01/05 at 18:32:36

Yeah, chances are that Slavy is absolutely correct and the seepage/leakage you see is from the infamous plug.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
penguinsscareme
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

In the words of
drank WHAT?

New Hampshire
Reply #8 - 12/01/05 at 19:11:45

Jeez, that doesn't make me very happy.  When I cracked open the throttle at highway speed, the revs came up right away but the bike took a few seconds to actually accelerate.  That plus the oil leaking from the head gasket told me compression loss due to bad head gasket.  But maybe the clutch is slipping?  Could be wrong type of oil on the wet plates.  Or could need a clutch.

Oh well, winter is a long season in New Hampshire.

O Lord,
Thine ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.
  IP Logged
penguinsscareme
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

In the words of
drank WHAT?

New Hampshire
Reply #9 - 12/01/05 at 19:17:00

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Welcome!

Check out the Technical section.  Very heavy with top notch info.  There is one thread in particular that is called "Mods" where several folks have posted all of there mods and reviews of them.

I just figured out yours is the bike I saw on ratbike.org or some such.  Dude, that is one tortured, tormented machine you've got there.  I was inspired, just inspired by it.  I hate the seat/fender contraption, but otherwise I think that is exactly the kind of approach I'm taking with my bike.  It shall be named Unshiny, and it shall be mine.

O Lord,
Thine ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 12/02/05 at 08:18:56

Thanks (I think!  Wink ).  Yeah, lotsa resources & good folsk here.  my "seat/fender contraption" is, IMO, more comfortable than the stock seat.  I'm not kidding.  I don't sit on my tailbone!  Anyway, keep us posted on your progress.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #11 - 12/02/05 at 08:40:00

So You have 2 easy problems to solve- better than one hard.
THe clutch plates are worn-out. This is absolutely comon problem on all 4 gear bikes. I had 3 '86-'88 Savages and I had to replace the clutch of all 3 of them. You will need a clutch cover gasket and clutch plates. If You go with EBC plates, it is EBC #3359 for all the years.
Every time when I do a clutch of one of these, I put washers to have a little more preload on the springs.
One more thing- If the bike has a lot of miles and is in this condition, You better make sure the cam chain is in good condition. If the bike has a rattle when running- new cam chain /approx. $95 from the dealer/ This way You will do the work only once. To do the cam chain You have to remove the clutch cover and the head cover, what You are doing anyway. Read the instructions about the timing very carefully couple of times. The mistakes are costly.
Good luck !

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 12/02/05 at 11:29:27

Seems like the simplest thing to do first is change the oil and filter so you can be sure you don't have clutch slippage due to the wrong oil.  Then go from there.

SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #13 - 12/02/05 at 15:38:26

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Seems like the simplest thing to do first is change the oil and filter so you can be sure you don't have clutch slippage due to the wrong oil.  Then go from there.

Savage_Rob is right there.  Anytime I bought a used bike I'd do a top to bottom tune up - points, plug(s), plug wire(s), hoses, filters, and all the fluids first.  That way if there was a problem, you could rule out "the basics"...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:52:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hi

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.