Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Signal light question (Read 8 times)
JBALLSATX
Ex Member

Signal light question
11/29/05 at 19:18:25

I'm still getting familiar with my 2001 Savage and am wondering about the rear signal lights. I notice that the front ones have a constant on when the key is turned as do the license plate light and the tail light but my rear turn signal lights only signal and do not have the constant on like the front ones do. Is this normal ? I looked at the wiring diagram in the Cyber manual and it looks like they should be on like the front ones. Can anyone confirm that they should work like the front ones ?    ???

J.B.  in San Antonio

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Re: Signal light question
Reply #1 - 11/29/05 at 19:34:15

Yeah, only the front ones stay on, the backs ones don't.  I'm not entirely sure why that is, but that's the case.  If it makes you feel any better, a lot of bikes are like that.  So your bike is normal and fine.  Good question though...why DO they make them that way?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Patty
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/29/05 at 19:54:35

Since the rear turn signals are amber then in the US they can not be lit all the time...federal regs. You can switch out the amber lens for red and then put light sockets that will accept an 1157 bulb and wire them up to stay lit all the time. All rear facing lights must be red and your done...P.S. I'm not a mechanical genius...hubby told me all that....lol

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/29/05 at 20:43:53

yeah the rear lights are 1156 with one filament and 1157 two filaments in the front.  It makes sense in the US tho.  Only brake lights stay on.  I think changing the lens to red would be ugly.  I didnt like the amber color either so I bought some clear lens with orange bulbs and they look awesome.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 11/29/05 at 23:08:36

The rear end has a pair of turn signal lights and a single stop/tail light.

A $50 conversion kit from Cruiser Customizing adds a electronic module, which hooks to existing wire plus you pull a new wire up the turn signal stem to a ring of LEDs in each turn signal housing.  End result is red running and brake lights through the amber lenses.

It's on my Christmas Wish List.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #5 - 11/29/05 at 23:12:11

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
... I didnt like the amber color either so I bought some clear lens with orange bulbs and they look awesome.
 The amber bulbs show thru the clear lenses.  I've seen amber bulbs with a sivery outside intended to sit behing the clear lenses without showing amber until lit.

WWW   IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/30/05 at 04:36:27

wow kewl paladin. I want those bulbs.. now if i only knew where they were.. hmmm.  I also got the clear lens for the brake light on the way too. Smiley yay

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #7 - 11/30/05 at 05:37:54

The people who sell the clear lenses should have them.  (Why didn't I think of that yesterday?)

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 11/30/05 at 07:42:25

Patty wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Since the rear turn signals are amber then in the US they can not be lit all the time...federal regs. You can switch out the amber lens for red and then put light sockets that will accept an 1157 bulb and wire them up to stay lit all the time. All rear facing lights must be red and your done...P.S. I'm not a mechanical genius...hubby told me all that....lol

I don't think that's federal but state regs.  I think they do it that way just to be safe.  I think some states allow you to have steady amber lights in back as running lights.  In any case, you have several options.  There are conversion kits to make them show red normally and flash amber for signaling and you can alsway just install an extra pair of red running lights.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/02/05 at 04:36:45

Here is a link listing the federal regulations for motorcycles, http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/rules_search_...

and you thought government was not in our daily lives! Just type in "motorcycles" in the search box.

Viva la revolution

Into the Dungeon with evil men
The people have risen we're free again
Come out of the closet
Come out of the hole
Come out of the woodwork
Come into the fold
Rebels and fighters, a license to kill
Unite with the bandits down from the hills
Open your windows
Open your doors
Open your minds
To a freedom of thought

Viva la revolution

Raise our voices, raise our flag
Smash the symbols of the life we've had
Long live the people
Long live the scheme
Long live our hopes
Long live the dream
Dance in the streets at the carnival
Celebrate the victory now
Drink the wine from the rich man's cask
This revolution won't be the last

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #10 - 12/02/05 at 05:30:50

The fedeal government sets standards as to quality, labeling, minimum equipment and such for manufacturing and importing.  Once the bike is imported they have no say.  It is the state regualtions that matter.   If the feds say you need turn signals then the bike needs turn signals to be imported.  If your state does not require turn signals you are free to remove them, federal government be dammed.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 12/02/05 at 06:32:34

Yup.  Even so, the listing for motorcycle turn signals said 2 amber in front and 2 red or 2 amber in back.  As Paladin stated (or a derivative thereof), some states don't require signal lamps and you're free to remove them.  Some only require them on models made after a certain year, etc.  I did find it slightly humorous that they found it necessary to specify that a motorcycle headlamp be located at the front of the vehicle.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 12/02/05 at 08:06:33

Clear lenses, huh?  Amber bulbs?  You can see the amber thru the lenses?

Try this:

from http://clearalternatives.com/

Yeah, I put these bulbs on my V*.  They look great.  The other thing you can do, is get some regular amber bulbs and spray paint them silver.  I've tried this... much cheaper, but though it looks good, the bulbs tends to flash a little weak... use just enough spray paint to get the job done.

Here's another place that has them: http://www.customdynamics.com/

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #13 - 12/02/05 at 08:06:57

Around my house, if it can be taken wrong it will be taken wrong.  The same thing occurs in the law.  If they did not specifiy that the headlight must be mounted at the front someone would mount it elsewhere simply to tweak.

In the definitions for the California Vehicle Code:

400.  (a) A "motorcycle" is any motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, and weighing less than 1,500 pounds.

I am tempted to build a two-wheel vehicle weighing about 1600 pounds simply so I may ride without a helmet -- and that simply to tweak the cops who will be constantly pulling me over.  Maybe get a Harley and add enough lead to get the weight over the minimum.

The code clairifies the above:

(d) A farm tractor is not a motorcycle.

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 12/02/05 at 09:02:10

paladin,  it might be easier to put some training wheels on it!   Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home