Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
compression relase alternative (Read 26 times)
wes

compression relase alternative
11/29/05 at 10:49:46

My brother is rebuilding an '86 Savage for me.
He wants to omit the electronically operated compression release.  He is planning on making a manually operated lever or something to releave compression during enging start up. Anyone ever heard or done such a mod?  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: compression relase alternative
Reply #1 - 11/29/05 at 11:44:34

I know that soemone yanked the decompression valve entirely, so it is possible.  I do not know any details.  I think it was on the down Heise forum... good luck.

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #2 - 11/29/05 at 16:38:37

Early Suzuki GN 400 (80-81) had a cable releace lever..You might want to look at one ??  Let us know what you come up with !!

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 11/29/05 at 18:52:52

wes wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
My brother is rebuilding an '86 Savage for me.
He wants to omit the electronically operated compression release.  He is planning on making a manually operated lever or something to releave compression during enging start up. Anyone ever heard or done such a mod?  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Can I ask why?

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 11/30/05 at 03:31:54

There was a pic around somewhere of a European LS650 Chopper that clearly showed a decompression lever on the front left side of the engine, so it is possible ... I think a manual decompression feature would be awesome, but have no clue how to go about converting from the stock electronically operated unit ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 11/30/05 at 05:19:20

A manual decompression lever is no strange feat, nor is it difficult to achieve. European bikes (Guzzis and Ducatis to begin with, but English singles as well) have always had hand-operated decompressors to aid kick-starting.
All you need is a clutch lever with the smaller decompressor lever under it, and analyze carefully how and when the electric decompressor opens the exhaust valve.
The difficult part is learning exactly when to pull (or release) the lever, in order to achieve 'some' compression.
It is actually much easier on a kick-starter bike.

However, my advice is to leave the decompressor well alone, and check out if the DR750-800 starter motors are compatible to the LS650 engine block.

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 11/30/05 at 05:59:36

I have to agree that if the system is working now, then why remove/change it?  As mentioned already, the manual decompressors have been around a long time...at least back to the 50's that I know of, and maybe longer.  I have also seen some new versions being sold for the big v-twins, and they seem to be manually operated with a push-down button on top of the valve.

IP Logged
dangerdave
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/30/05 at 07:59:59

Going to have to go with the general wisdom of the group on this one and suggest that it's probably better to leave the decomp system on the Savage alone for a couple of reasons.  If I'm understanding the system correctly, unlike the manual decomp valves on old Brit bikes, the decomp system on the Savage is camshaft actuated--meaning in practice that the system drafts the left-hand exhaust valve only on the compression stroke.  Hence, I'm not sure that installing a cable/lever to the current decomp valve and operating it by hand (a la an old Norton or Indian) will acheive the desired result, as I think the solenoid is fired on a timer circuit once every engine cycle and the valve is clicked closed at TDC by the camshaft/rocker arm (and hence, you would need to be able to squeeze the lever rapidly with each cycle of the engine to keep the valve open--an amusing thought, but, I believe, impossible).

Someone who knows more about the specifics of the Savage system may be able to confirm or deny this....
dr

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #8 - 11/30/05 at 09:06:27

@dangerdave
Have to disagree with you:
The Savage decompression solenoid is operated by a timer wich engergizes the solenoid after the start circuit is energized and de-engergized after .7 of a second . A second timer in the black box energizes the starter relay .2 seconds after the startbutton is pressed.
There's NO mechanical device on the camshaft.
There was a lenghty discussion on the German forum about installation of a mechanical decompression lever. Too much talk to translate.

In short : It can be done and to start the engine you operate the lever to open the outletvalves, hit the starter button and as soon as the engine is turning release the lever.

Happy wrenching
Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #9 - 11/30/05 at 09:09:20

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Can I ask why?

Maybe he does not trust electronic devices on motorbikes.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
dangerdave
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/30/05 at 09:11:06

More low-tech than I realized then.  Sorry for the misinformation, and thanks for the correction, Kropatcheck.  Is it possible, then, for the decomp valve to hang open if the solenoid malfunctions, causing poor compression, etc.?
dr

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #11 - 11/30/05 at 10:02:04

I should think if the solenoid failed the decompression valve would become inoperable since the valve operates only from a circuit from the solenoid. As far as using a hand operated lever instead of the electrical triggered solenoid, it is the extreme placement of the decompression valve that would require some very inventive cable routing with attached brackets and difficult pull angles to get it right. Keep in mind the pull  lever would be mounted to the handlebar and the current decompression valve is situated atop the head, attached to the rocker arm assembly, placed precariously close to the gas tank. Not impossible but certainly a Rube Goldberg project.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 11/30/05 at 21:07:32

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Maybe he does not trust electronic devices on motorbikes.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Well, me either I guess, but it just doesn't seem like much of a problem area.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 12/01/05 at 05:35:51

I'm thinking that if it failed and I couldn't obtain replacement parts, I'd look into making it manual.  Otherwise, I'm not fixin' what ain't broke.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #14 - 12/01/05 at 07:22:44

Yes, You can do it. Go in a junk yard and get a decomp. lever assy from an old thumper- Yamaha TT or XT for example. Mount it on under the clutch lever. Decide how to route the actuating cable, measure the necessery lenght and find a sutable cable. I haven't done it, because so far I never needed to. I haven't heard the decompressor to go bad. The only problems, that I had was with the black rellay behind the gas tank. It was bad and did not operate the starter solenoid, nor the decomp. solenoid.
 Everybody has his prefferences. If this part of the bike is bothering You- this is Your business. The only thing is - Why don't focus on more important issues. Fix Your bike, make it immaculate, enjoy it and if You still feel like You are not happy with Suzuki's way - have it Your way.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:28:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › compression relase alternative

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.