S40 Trike Conversion (Read 12 times)
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
S40 Trike Conversion
11/28/05 at 12:57:48

This may get me thrown out of the Savage/S40 Brotherhood, but I am going to convert ny 05 S40 to a trike.  After 57 years of riding, I have developed an inner ear problem that gives me some balance problems from time to time.  Maybe I could rely on those 57 years of riding to bail me out, but that seems a bit risky.

The unit I am looking at is the Voyager.  It is an easy hook-up and it comes right off in about 10 minutes or so.  It has 15 in. alloy wheels so it avoids the "training wheels" look.  The Vogager company makes one specifically for the LS650/S40 and it is a nice looking unit.

I plan to do all the mods, i.e. white spacer, 152.5 main, SuperTrapp muffler, progressive shocks front and rear etc. before I make the switch . My bike is in Maine and I won't be able to start work on it until I get up there next Spring.

Please give me any thoughts you may have that could make this project any easier.  The trike unit gets shipped to you in a big crate at your home.  You unpack, assemble and then mount the unit on the bike.  Should provide me with a nice "busted knuckle" fix.  I'm looking forward to  the challenge!

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Re: S40 Trike Conversion
Reply #1 - 11/28/05 at 13:33:54

Way Cool Idea I would love to see it !! Or even a Web Site that sells the kit..  How much is the kit ?

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Lou
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

IABTI member    
  2005 S40

N.E. Ohio
Reply #2 - 11/28/05 at 14:39:55

Looked at the site (http://www.mtcvoyager.com/kit_information.html) and I really like how you can switch back to two wheels so easily. It doesn't appear to be too bad of a job to initially install either. Too bad they don't offer some type of trunk / storage. It looks like there would be plenty of room.   -    Lou

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 11/28/05 at 15:10:11

With the extra weight of the conversion setup, I would highly recommend that you get a strong midrange performance cam and go with an after market carb.  You are going to need the extra power and TORQUE push the extra weight.

IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #4 - 11/28/05 at 17:34:09

When I said "trike" it was really a misnomer.  I will be adding two outrigger wheels to the bike.  The original drive wheel will still provide the power to the ground.  It is really a four wheeler after all!.  There is a belly plate that bolts to the bike frame and the yoke slips on from the back.  I have ridden one and it is solid as a rock.

The storage problem is very real.  I am looking at a Tourmaster sissy bar bag that is rectangular in shape.  The top zips off and it provides quite a bit of storage space. I don't think the Suzuki saddlebags would cut it.

The question of more torque is not so easily solved.  If it were a chain drive, I could come down a tooth on the countershaft sprocket and get more grunt that way.  I am hoping the carb and muffler mods will help.  The whole rig adds just under 200 pounds and that 650 thumper should be able to handle that.  Kind of like carrying a BIG passenger!  I have a little concern about the clutch, but the company says they have had no problems with clutches burning out.  We'll see
I'll keep everyone posted on how things go.

Keep talking to me - I'll need all the expertise I can get!

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 11/29/05 at 05:55:22

It is an interesting kit and it's been discussed on this forum in the past.  From the side, it looks to be a training wheel setup that looks like a conventional trike unless you do a real close-up inspection.  I'm not sure if it looks like a trike or training wheels from behind though.  Looks like it has a trailer hitch too... but I'd hesitate to pull that much more with the Savage.  Even though I don't have a need for one at this point, I'd definitely be interested to hear first-hand reviews/opinions of it.  I've sometimes considered one of the Urals that comes with a sidecar at some point.  The Voyager Savage kit is shown below.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #6 - 11/29/05 at 09:28:20

Before you get one of these why don't you see if you can drive a bike with one on it? A friend of my sister's bought one (not sure of brand) but it made his bike unmanageable. Turns like an iron wheel wagon. I know he paid quite a bit for it and has been real disappointed.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #7 - 11/29/05 at 14:24:45

Thanks for the input folks!  For Ryan - I have a trike now here in FL.  It is true that trikes handle MUCH differentlythan a two wheeler.  I rode a Voyager trike set up at Biketoberfest last month at Daytona and it rode and handled just like my Honda 750 trike.  You steer the darn thing like a four wheel vehicle and it is hugely different from a bike.

Savage Bob- Thanks for the pic of the Savage/Voyager set up.  Looks good. By the way, the trike has a metal piece across the back that hides much of the mechanicals from the rear.  You have to look really close to determine that it is a set of outrigger wheels and not a traditional trike.

Jack H

IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #8 - 11/29/05 at 14:46:57

For Savage ROB,ROB,ROB!

My deepest apologies for getting your name wrong--again!  Senility has arrived early at the Henderson house.  Thanks again for all your help.

Jack H.

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #9 - 11/29/05 at 22:46:18

as a trike rider since '99, I gotta chime in with my 02 cents worth. triked a gl 1500 when auther ritis took over knees and I started to dump the other half at 'bout every other stop. when that wing's moveing, it loses many pounds, when it stops, it's a whale. if you want to ride 2 up on an 800 lb.  bike with 2 bad knees, trikeing is the only way to go. b4 trikeing the 1500, I rode wing Voyger and full trike kits, NO comrpairson, Voyger will lean and wallow in the twistes, a full trike will feel like it's on rails. now after 40k on the 1500 and 11k on a gl 1800, I feel my 02 cents has at least some validity. don't ask why I sold the 1800. If you know anything about the 1800 recalls and SBs, and Mother Hondas total denieal of trikes, you'll know why. $30k and no warranty,  the reason the savage trike is so da## hard to steer is because of the trail on it. the wing trikes reduce this trail by increasing down tube angle as much as 6 degs. this reduces trail, and very much reduces steering effort. diesel

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 11/30/05 at 07:15:56

barb36jack31 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
For Savage ROB,ROB,ROB!

My deepest apologies for getting your name wrong--again!  Senility has arrived early at the Henderson house.  Thanks again for all your help.

Jack H.

LOL, no problem.  I grew up as a Jr.  My dad is Bob; I'm Rob.

I think RadarORiley has a valid point. Aside from the differences between riding bikes and trikes, I think a bike with outriggers will be a 3rd variety altogether and might be worth trying to test before plunking down that much green.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 03:28:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 Trike Conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.