LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
New Rear Tire
11/22/05 at 09:13:42

I got some new rubber on the rear wheel this week, and it is just amazing how much difference that makes.  I had forgotten what new rubber feels like, and it sure is nice.  I put on a 140/90/15...one of the inexpensive brands since $$ are tight...the dealership mounted/added new tube/ & balanced the thing for $34.  I thought that was very reasonable.
The stability with the new, round and balanced rubber is VERY NOTICEABLE, feeling like it is really stuck to the road.  When I get the Progressive 418's on there it should be downright awesome.  Now I need to start working on getting the Ceriani forks back on the front end.  With that suspension combination I should be able to ride any  road on the planet with absolute security.

Say, does anyone know what the biggest size tire will work on the front wheel?  I want to go with a FAT PIECE OF RUBBER...like a 4.00 or better.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: New Rear Tire
Reply #1 - 11/22/05 at 13:49:56

here was the chart from awhile back

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

it listed these 19" tires - the stock rim is a 19x2.15 the 110/90 me880 on the '95 certainly fills the rim and the fender - it is list as the minimum size for a 110mm (2.15/2.50/2.75) looks to me the rim is just too narrow to go any bigger without rolling the tire up - I doubt you keep the fender on if you went to a >110mm - can't remember if you removed it yet or not

19" Tyres  Permitted Rim  

275*19    1.40/1.60/1.85  
70/90*19  

300*19     1.60/1.85/2.15  
360*19  

325*19     1.85/2.15/2.50  
350*19  
410*19  
90/90*19  
90/100*19  
100/90*19  

110/90*19     2.15/2.50/2.75  
120/90*19  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 11/22/05 at 15:20:39

So according to the chart a 120/90 should work on the rim.  I think the problem will be finding one in my price range though.  If so I will just go with the 110/90.
Thanks for the help.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 11/22/05 at 17:34:16

Went out to garage and was mic'n around - I'm sure different brands are really different sizes but the me880 110/90x19 @28lbs is really 114mm wide - with respect to the fender - the clearence on the sides looks to be 4 or 5mm and 6mm tread to fender clearence at the top - when installing the front tire/wheel it does drag a little on the fender bolt heads on the way in. Man if you add another 10mm to the width and  9mm to the heigth looks to me like you'd be rubbing in all directions unless you went sans fender.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 11/22/05 at 17:37:36

Thanks for the info.

IP Logged
kikuchiyo
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/22/05 at 19:57:10

Hey guys, I researched this topic on previous posts but would like to confirm with the experts! I would like to install 140/90/15 rear:
1. do I need to install progressive shocks to avoid the rub or stock shocks will do? (I am 180lbs, occasionaly +115lbs passenger).  
2. If progressives are a must what is the minimum/maximum size 11/11.5/12.5 I can install without problems to the belt/any other moving parts?
Thanks a million.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 11/22/05 at 23:10:09

A number of folks have installed the 140/90 with stock shocks. I have not. depending on the brand, as some 140s are bigger than others, these folks have usually turned up the preload and in some cases "shrank" the head of the through bolts on the rails.

you ask a more interesting question on the shocks and the sometime load - if you want to keep the bikes stance close to the same the 11" progressives do that. but the spring rate needs to be considered - I used 90/130lb springs and weight 180 as well - these give a very soft ride on the 1st click about right on the 2nd and a little firm on the 3rd. That doesn't give you much room to work with if you add another 115lbs so the heavier 115/150's would do the trick I'd bet - as well as the 1/2 inch or so of lift may very well eliminate any concern with the bolt heads - the 11.5" shocks would for sure cure the bolt business but you'll have a good bit more lift in back over stock.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 11/22/05 at 23:46:32

Love that lift!  I know that not everyone is a fan of extra lift, but I sure am.  I like the extra room that the longer travel gives and I like the way the bike feels and handles with the rear end jacked up that way.  It is a quicker handling  bike this way and I like the steering feel of it.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 11/23/05 at 07:44:38

This sounds interesting, as I believe my bike has a very firm ride because of worn out rear shocks.

What brand/model/length shocks would you recommend? I am 5'6" x 200+lbs, with my 8y.o. boy a more likely passenger than my 140lb wife.

Ideally, I would like my new shocks to be about one inch longer (higher) than the standard ones, with 3-5 step adjustment, Maybe that is what you call 'progressive'. In Italy we call that 'adjustable'. Roll Eyes

Any suggestions please?

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 11/23/05 at 08:33:09

The term "progressive", refers to the type of spring.  It is designed so that the first inch or two is compressed at a rate of (example) 115 pounds, and the rest of the compression is at 150 pounds per inch.  The result is a nice smooth ride under normal conditions, but under harder riding/rough road/more load etc, you get the added support of a stiffer spring.  "Dual-spring rate" is probably the way to say it.

I have been buying the "Progressive" brand of shocks.  The are good quality and can be found on ebay at really good deals.  The first I had was a 13.5"  412 model, and they worked very well...MUCH BETTER THAN STOCK shocks (retail for $200-300).  I just got a set of 12.5" 418 model shocks (posted here) and will be putting them on today.  These are a higher quality shock with more capability (retail for $400-500).  
Compared with the stock shocks, you will notice an IMMEDIATE improvement in ride and handling quality.
I am 5'6 1/2", weigh 200+, and since  I began using the Progressive shocks I have never had a bottom-out  experience...and I had a lot with the stock shocks.
As far as what shock length is best?  That will depend on your preferences.  I like a tall shock, because it will give more space under the fender...a little more shock travel...quicken front end handling because of the higher angle.  With the 13.5" shocks I did have to remove the belt guard because it rubbed the front of it a little.  With the 12.5" 418's I just got, I should be able to put it back on.
As far as adjustment capability, the 412 model had only spring preload adjustment.  The 418 model has spring preload and dampening/rebound adjustment capability.
That is a significant difference, and that is the reason why I purchased the 418 model shocks.  

Since I bought these shocks on ebay, slightly used, I do not know the exact spring rate for them yet, I will have to call the manufacturer for that info.  
I hope this has been helpful.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 11/24/05 at 02:35:15

After a closer look at the shock I'm going to use on my SR project it too is a dual rate with 5 preload positions. No damping adjustment.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 11/24/05 at 19:44:52

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
After a closer look at the shock I'm going to use on my SR project it too is a dual rate with 5 preload positions. No damping adjustment.

Clive W  Cheesy

That sounds a lot like the 412's.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #12 - 11/24/05 at 21:40:17

Yo, I picked up a complete swingarm from the dude that parted a 2002, ($10) on ebay recently. (Reel, I backed off on the motor after I saw you were already on it)

I like the idea of the longer progressives, however I do not want to significantly increase the ride height.
Has anyone experience with cutting the lower shock mounts and moving them back to accommodate the longer Progressive shocks? I have not come up w/ an adjustable setup yet.
I was dreaming about a cool sliding block lower shock mount of some type that would allow infinite adjustment over about 1-2” frt to back, then chrome the whole mess.?
Then if that works, (darn this thing won't stay lit) repeat the shock mount  location on the original arm, (wouldn't have to be adjustable if I find a sweet spot w/ adj. deal) then carve/torture/reinforce my original arm for a wider wheel.
Looking at Lotsbub's bike, had to extend the pulleys and I am not really wanting to do that, but may be required. Wanna keep the belt.
Thought I should consult the SS brain trust 1st.
I can hack this $10 arm as required.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/24/05 at 23:45:38

Sounds like a cool idea, but I think it would be difficult to design something moveable that was able to withstand the pressure and impact of having a shock mounted to it.  

You would lose the full benifit of the shocks and the progressive function, but how would a Savage behave if only one 12.5 was mounted and the other remained stock to keep the rise under control?  I have seem similar setup of different functions on different sides of front forks, but without a crown brace I don't know if it would be effective on the rear of a bike.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #14 - 11/25/05 at 03:31:07

8)Here's a couple of wheel/tire combos I'd love to see on an LS!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:29:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Rear Tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.