Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
How You Came to Ride a Savage/S40? (Read 12 times)
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Re: How You Came to Ride a Savage/S40?
Reply #45 - 02/14/06 at 05:19:01

Hey Cigaro, Maybe we are neighbors.  Door County is only a couple of hours north of here.  

I came to my Savage because I just couldn't talk myself out of a motorcycle anymore.  I rode my brothers dirtbike, Ossa 250 when I was a teenager and he was into motocross.  My husband really wanted me to get a scooter or a rebel 250.  But, I just thought if I'm gonna get a bike I don't want to grow out of it in the first year.  Looked and looked and looked.  Learned about the Savage online.  It sounded perfect.  Found one in Manitowoc during the Harley rally there, but it was purple and I promised I would let my sweetie look at it before I bought it.  Came back the next week and found a matched set at the local Honda shop.  I bought the one with the low mileage, a 2003 w/ 1500 miles @ $ 2K I felt like I got a great deal.  I got a new seat and a windsheild which I realize now was a waste since I got the shocks.  I'm planning on doing the carb mods week-end after next with fear and trembling.

Anyone else in Wisconsin?

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 02/14/06 at 08:14:33

Hey, BikingB, we'll have to meet up on our Savages when the weather finally gets better! I'm in a suburb of Madison. Welcome to the club. It's great to hear from other Savages in Wisconsin. You got a tremendous deal on your Savage. I haven't done the rejet, as I'm still waiting to get my first 600 mile checkup on warranty. But my Sportster muffler is waiting in the garage.  Hoping to do the Progressives in the near future.

Where in Wisconsin are you located?

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #47 - 02/14/06 at 17:59:17

Cigaro and anyone else in Wisconsin.  I'm in Appleton, just a little bit south of Green Bay.  Where are you?  Chicago?

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
jcbass7
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 02/15/06 at 16:25:43

well my boss at a local resteraunt (family owned, small amount of employees) was driving around a small honda 250 something? well anyway he had a basement full of mopeds and such and one day i was poking around and saw the savage sitting in the corner with a decent amount of wear on it (rust, seat tears, etc.) i asked him if he would get rid of it and after a couple shifts of flipping burgers and talking, we decided on a deal to get me the bike.  I ended up painting the building for him only taking me a couple hundred $ worth of labor.. plus all the food i could eat.  Now the bike is covered in my yard while it snows.. and im waiting for a new seat, sportster muffler and oval mirrors in the mail.. gotta love ebay.

A pal and myself got the bike to start in his heated garage during the fall after i got it, and managed to have it run enough to ride up and down his street,  rode it back to my house and then covered it for winter.  Can't wait to get some work done to it and get riding it!!

IP Logged
bobtreat
Ex Member

Reply #49 - 02/15/06 at 16:48:27

8)I've always liked the road less traveled an the big single was not the norm.Reading the reviews and talking to others who had one made my mind up,an the first ride wasn't a disappointment.It does'nt have the power of the big twins,what it has is plenty for it's size and purpose.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #50 - 02/15/06 at 19:05:32

I tried buying a used Savage in '93 but couldn't find one. Checked the papers daily for a few weeks & didn't find ONE in Albuquerque. That was after the initial 2 year run. Got an '84 Honda Nighthawk 650 instead. Fun bike though! Sold it & hit lean times awhile & 11 years later FINALLY got my S40. Wanted one of these since I first read about them in 1986. Maybe not the perfect bike for me but I just find it interesting 'cause it's different & it's a thumper.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 02/17/06 at 03:50:43

When gas went over $3 a gallon last summer I knew I needed another way to get back and forth to work.  I asked a few of my friends what would be a good bike to start with.  All of them said keep it under 1000cc for gas mileage and keep it light for easy handling.  My cosine has a 250 Rebel and was ready for something bigger.  Most of my friends said I would soon get tired of the small engine.  My neighbor highly recommended the Savage.  He had one for a number of years and said he regularly rode it from Pax River in Maryland to Norfolk Virginia without any problems.  While supporting the National Guard during hurricane Katrina I put in two 130 hour weeks, which got me the money to buy one.  I found a 96 Savage on EBay that was near by and had 5000 miles on it, bid on it and won.  Another friend showed me how to ride it.  I’ve never ridden before and now wish I had started 20 years ago.

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #52 - 02/18/06 at 17:16:15

Last summer when the gas prices went above $1.00 per litre here, I started wondering how I could save gas money - I was commuting an hour to work and back in a van.  Anyway, I thought about smaller vehicles and found myself thinking about how I loved to use dirtbikes, mini bikes, ski-doos and other off-road vehicles as a teenager.   Then I thought about getting a motorcycle. - even though I'd never ridden a real one.

Well, I talked it over with my husband, and spent the next few weeks obsessing over finding out as much as I could about bikes, licence training etc.  Then we went to a few bike shops and I sat on several rather large feeling bikes.  When the salesman told me a Savage would be the best bike for me: 5'3", 140lbs.  I trusted his advice.  Unfortunately, it was later in the season and he had sold all 7 of the S40s he had in.  Yet, I checked in the Buy & Sell magazine, and on line until I saw a few ads for Savages.  I went to check out one savage at a dealership, but it had just been sold.  Luckily, I ended up getting a 2000 Savage with 7400kms. on it, for $2899 Cdn.  Well, I really love riding the bike, and managed to put @1000 km. on it in the few months since I got last November - before it got too cold and snowy.  

As soon as the roads are clear from ice and snow, I'm going to get the bike serviced, and inquire about the jetting mods.  The bike runs quite well now, but if the jetting will make it even better - why not?  I just put a windshield on it, and have saddlebags to go on too.

Anyway, that's how I got my savage!  Yahoo! Grin

Diane S.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/08/24 at 06:37:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How You Came to Ride a Savage/S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.