Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
How You Came to Ride a Savage/S40? (Read 12 times)
Patty
Ex Member

Re: How You Came to Ride a Savage/S40?
Reply #30 - 11/24/05 at 05:04:22

Weak (not a weight lifter), vertically challenged (4'11" female).... Wink...so hubby buys me the LS650. Now he's not so sure he did the right thing  cause my bike is faster than his Volusia.... Grin

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #31 - 11/24/05 at 20:37:09

My wife wanted a bike.  She's an experienced rider (her last bike was a 1992 BMW R100RT), but she wanted something small and easier to handle.

After searching around a bit, she bought a used '01 Savage.  It turns out that she really doesn't ride it hardly at all (she finds the car more convenient), but I ride the Savage all the time to run errands around town.  Even though I've got two other big road-burners in the garage and have almost 300,000 miles of riding experience, the Savage is my first choice for short trips.

The bike is fun for me to ride and doesn't cost hardly anything to insure and operate.

Also, it gets more compliments (by far) than anything else I've ever ridden in the 35 years I've been at it.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 11/25/05 at 15:42:07

Thought about getting back into backing after a 20 year hiatus but thought more about an enduro cuz i live on a farm.  turns out the guy that i worked with was talking at the same time about insuring a bike in his back yard his wife never rode and how sick he was of the whole thing.  i went and took a look and saw a savage for the first time.  needed lots of cosmetic work but only had 5000 km. on it and it was about 14 years old!  got it and then certified for about $1500 all together.  never looked back.

the savage is a bit small for me but i find the cruiser style very comfortable.  has loads of performance for me.

IP Logged
Lady_Dawg
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 11/27/05 at 16:27:43

My husband had just bought the Suzuki M50 and I tried to get on it - - not ever riding before  Shocked  and I could only reach the floor with the  balls of my feet - - Since I'm small (5'3") we tried an '05 S40 after looking at an old 250cc Honda Rebel or something for me to start learning on.  But once we saw the Rebel was $2700 and the NEW '05 S40 was $4K.  Seemed like it was worth a try.  Oh by the way - - I can sit on it flat footed and it hasn't hit pavement once in 1900 miles!   Grin

JP

IP Logged
Ooh_S40_Shiney
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 11/27/05 at 17:27:45

I rode my brother's Yamaha Radian 1 time in 1988 and was hooked.  My parents said no way - they didn't know my brother owned one.  Several years went by, college, married, family...

Then I asked my wife if I could take the MSF and buy a scooter - like a burgman or something.  She said sure.

I took the class one weekend, had licence by Monday, and my wife surprises me by saying "So when are you getting a motorcycle".  Only condition - she had to approve of look and feel so that she could learn on it also.

So I found a 2005 S40 in the showroom and was hooked.  Bigger than a 250, no chain, looks like a classic, felt comfortable for both me and my wife - so I bought it in haste.  Love the bike, but would like more top end power.  I've put 7500 miles in less than 6 months!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #35 - 11/28/05 at 06:49:03

Welcome Lady_Dawg and Ooh_S40_Shiney!  This is a great community of folks here.  I appreciate them on a very regular basis.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 11/28/05 at 07:37:45

I purchased a 2001 Savage last Saturday. I looked at a lot of bikes and it seemed this was a simple bike. I will use it to commute to work 7 miles. The bike was a light blue color and I decided to paint it. I took the fenders, tank and the two little side covers to my buddy at the
paint shop. I chose Viper red for my new color. He will have my paint finished tommorow. My bike came with a windshield, highway bar, sissy bar and chrome rack, saddle bags, and a fork bag. The previous owner added a Jardine muffler which I don't like. I have been looking at mufflers at JC Whitney. Have any of you changed your muffler? I want it as quiet as possible. I will send pictures as soon as I get the bike put back together.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #37 - 11/28/05 at 19:16:21

The stock muffler can be had on ebay for not much - and I'd doubt that anything would be quiter than stock - if the jardine is clean and your going to toss it right? I'll take  Wink

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #38 - 11/28/05 at 23:58:44

IP Logged
doppelganger
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Fort Wayne, IN
Reply #39 - 11/29/05 at 17:11:01

For several years I had thought about taking the MSF class just for fun and the experience.  Then I got to thinking maybe I should take up a new hobby like racing 4-cylinder beaters or a go-kart at the local track.  With a one-car garage I couldn't figure out a way to make that happen, but I decided I could find a place for a motorcycle and that would fill my need for a new hobby to add some excitement to my life.

I lucked out and got one of the walk-on substitute spots for the last MSF class of the year, and got my first taste of riding on a little 125cc Suzuki.  For my first bike, I was thinking about a 250cc Rebel, Virago, or GZ250.  My storage space is limited, so I wanted something small for that reason, and I wanted something light and easy to control since it would be my first bike.  I also wanted something inexpensive since I was just learning and might change my mind about the kind of bike I wanted.

After looking at the 250's, I was afraid that I would outgrow one pretty quick, so I turned my attention to the 500-750 range.  The Vulcan 500 was a candidate, but it weighed about the same as the 600-750 V-Star, VLX, Shadow, etc, and I thought those might be too big for my first bike.  I also thought about the Buell Blast, but what I read about the Savage sounded ideal.  Not much heavier than the 250's, very user-friendly from a maintenance standpoint, sufficient power to keep me satisfied for a while, and not too expensive.

I looked in the paper and found a 2001 Savage with 4,000 miles on it, saddlebags, luggage rack, windshield, and engine guard, and paid $2800 for it just over a year ago.  I took the windshield off, and really like the way it looks.  I'd like the take the sissy bar off, but if I do that I'll need to move the helmet lock so I have a place to put my helmet.

I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far.  I'm also glad to have a good resource like this board for questions.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #40 - 11/30/05 at 20:01:16

I've always loved cruisers.  I think becuase they always seem to represent freedom to me.  The more freedom, the better, eh?  I feel in love with thumpers thanks to my dad's influence.  Except for two of his bikes, his have all been singles.   So the Savage seemed like a natural choice to me.  At least on paper.  

In reality, I spent several months trying to decide between the Savage and the Vulcan 500.  Savage looks better, less maintainance, etc. etc.  The Vulcan has more power, is more comfortable, and a bigger tank.  Probably more practical for me in the long run.  But I fell in love with the Savage while comparing them.  It's completely unashamed of what it is.  A thumper.  It's almost defiant and in your face about it.  It's almost as bare bones a motorcycle as I could find (that was reliable enough for me, anyway).  It all seemed to capture the essence of what I thought a motorcycle should be.  

Oh, and Suzuki gave me a better deal on it than Kawasaki would give me on the Vulcan.  So I ended up with a brand spanking new 2003 Suzuki Savage in a color that looks green to me, that matches the hunter green helmets I bought, but that everyone tells me is teal...

Every now and then I almost wish I had the Vulcan...nah.  The Savage is as near to perfect for me as a bike could be.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
penguinsscareme
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

In the words of
Socrates:  I
drank WHAT?

New Hampshire
Reply #41 - 12/02/05 at 18:24:40

Well, the price was right.  Secretly I wanted it for myself to ride/chop, but I got She Who Must Be Obeyed to okay it by telling her I wanted to get her a bike she could learn on so we could go riding together!  I don't believe she was fooled, but I think she appreciated the effort and took pity on me.

O Lord,
Thine ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #42 - 12/03/05 at 16:45:07

Have had motorcycle/scooters since high schools days. After retirement in June of 1998 I visited my family in Juneau AK. My kid brother had his HD Dyna Wide Glide there and a Honda V-twin that he had been hit on and was fixed up by the insurance co. Anyway we went for a short scoot and that was all it took. A few days later I was back in Anchorage AK and drove by the BMW shop and sitting in the used bike row was a 96 yellow thumper. I stopped and asked about it, didn't hear it run but the next day I got a card from my sister in Junuea with a "dali havidison" picture on the front. Not only was the hook set, motorcycling had started reeling me in. I had stopped riding in the late 80's as I seemed to be the target of many Anchorage drivers, they would scoot down in their seat and use the hood oranament as a sight to target me. Bike then was a hybrid 72 Honda SL125 with a Powroll stroker kit to 150cc, trials type fenders, quick removeable lights, a hand built high torque pipe with SuperTrapp, chain tensioner, package rack, and raised pegs. I was into trials riding in the early 70's but had to ride the same bike to and from work as I could only afford one for me and a Honda  CL70 for the wife. Kept it through many other bikes over the years as it was a runner. Even fixed it up as a cafe racer one time.  Figured I was out of riding so sold the whole shebang, bike, tools, manuals, riding jacket, helmets, and work stand. Anyway finally went down and had them start the Savage beast. Went to the Credit Union and got the $ and went back and said I wanted to ride it first, here is the check, license with cycle endorsement, and who is coming with me. Answer we don't allow test rides. I said no sale, then, he - the owner, decided maybe he could follow along behind me. It was September so he would have probably sat on it the next 6 months if I didn't ride it away. Test ride was satisfactory and we did the paperwork and I rode it home and came back for my van later. That Fall I only got a couple rides before the streets were snowy. Over winter it got a SuperTrapp, Mephis shade windshield, saddlebags and a personalized plate "40CUIN". The next spring my wife asked me if I would like to move where I could ride more and could we afford it if she retired a couple years early. I did the math and came to Moses Lake and found a house, shop with loft art studio for her, and equipment shed on 1.25 acres of farm land about a mile from her family (Mom, youngest sister and family who run the family farm there 800 acres of hay with wheat rotation). Moses Lake advertises 300 sunny days a year and it was in the 40's in February when I was there. We had lived there in the early 70's so by mid June we were moved back and I was learning to fix and operate hay harvesting equipment and riding most every day. I took a wire feed welding class at the community college here mid day and was able to ride to work all Fall quarter. Life is great. Have had a variety of smaller thumpers I bought to repair and ride or sell. My kid brother from Juneau had a HD Road King and his wife a Suzuki VS800 here for many years so we would ride when they were down from Juneau. They had the other HD and a Savage she bought in Juneau. The bikes went home this Fall as they are raising a couple of grand daughters unexpectedly so don't get to come down her to ride anymore.  Sluggo from this forum and I have been on a ride together and I hope we get some more in this spring. My BIL here is still looking for the right priced street bike, he has a small herd of Honda 230 thumpers I help keep in shape. They are used by the hired kids to change the water in the fields, as Moses Lake is irigated desert from Lake Roosevelt up North on the Columbia River. Max from "Thumper Acres", FSSNOC # 3608 WA

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 02/13/06 at 21:20:35

Hope you don't mind me resurrecting an old thread! Cheesy

I took up riding last July.  I was primarily interested in riding back and forth to work, so after I took my MSF I bought a GZ250 just like I rode in the course.

Well, one thing turned to another and it wasn't just for riding to and from work.  One day I was out riding and stopped in at a Suzuki dealer in Seymour, Indiana and saw an S40 sitting there.  We talked for a while and he let me test ride it.  Needless to say, I was depressed to get back on my 250 and head home!

Told my wife that when I upgrade, I wanted to give that bike a serious look.  Well, fast forward to this year... that's what my tax refund went toward.  However, I tended to like the bars on the Savage better than the S40 so I found a super deal on my '02 Savage, and we're bonding right now! Cheesy

IP Logged
Deno
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 02/14/06 at 04:40:44

I do not own a Savage, but rode singles for close to 15 years. A friend just bought one this past fall and we are planning the spring and summer rides. I'm sure I will get to experience the ride then.
There is something unique about a single. A more laid back ride than sport bikes without the cruiser mentality.
To me it also revives the great history of Goldstars and Manx. The domination they had on the track. I still love the sound of these as they roar past at vintage bike races.
Suzuki has done a great job of keeping it alive with this model.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/08/24 at 07:25:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How You Came to Ride a Savage/S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.