Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
How You Came to Ride a Savage/S40? (Read 12 times)
cigaro
Ex Member

How You Came to Ride a Savage/S40?
11/13/05 at 18:51:25

I came to my Savage through a circuitous, though seemingly preordained route. Got a license 32 years ago, rode a year, then stopped because bike (a Harley Sprint 250) was on loan and I was dumping the bike regularly because I didn't really know what I was doing. Fast forward to this summer, 2005. I was on vacation in August and spyed a copy of Road Bike Ride Metric at the local market in Door County (Door County is like Cape Cod, except closer and less populated). I was infatuated with the Suzuki Boulevard M50 featured in the Road Bike issue, bought the magazine and pored over it for a month or so.  I suddenly knew I had to try riding again, though I wasn't even completely clear why I had to. I just did. So started haunting my local Yamaha-Honda-Suzuki dealer and immediately saw that a Boulevard M50 was too big and heavy, and expensive. All of the C50s and Yamaha V-Stars were too heavy. I ended up narrowing my search down to due budgetary concerns and three bikes: 2001 Honda ACE 750 Deluxe, a '97 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 800 and the 2004 (it was brand new) purple Suzuki Savage 650.  Both the Kawasaki and Honda, while both very nice bikes, felt too heavy (at least for now) to this neo-newbie. The Honda was around 550 lbs. The Savage just felt right, like I could manage it, get it up if it fell down, and it looked really cool, the way I thought a motorcycle should look. Just a classic bare bones motorcyle, very similar to the Triumphs and BSAs I remembered from 30 years ago. The kind that Steve McQueen would ride. Haven't regretted the Savage one minute since purchase in early October and now completely obsess over it. Can't believe I would have such strong feelings or affection for a material possession. What I didn't count on was the worldwide Savage Community, or such a cool bunch of people who ride them, proudly post their photos, help each other with tips and regularly check into this message board. I really now believe that it does take a special person to choose to ride a Savage. It takes a real individual, not a follower of fashion.....

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: How You Came to Ride a Savage/S40?
Reply #1 - 11/13/05 at 19:19:34

I remember when the first ones came out. I read a few road tests on them & always wanted one. Was bummed when they dropped it for a few years & glad when they brought it back. I read the piece in Rider magazine on the white spacer years ago & clipped it out & saved it for the day I got my Savage. Finally, in 2005 a new bike was in the budget (or close enough) & I got my S40. Shortly after I found this website doing Savage searches in Google.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 11/13/05 at 19:23:17

Well  said.  I have been a big single fan for almost 40 years.  My Savage was a FATHERS DAY gift from my son...the first significant purchase he made after finishing school and getting a significant job....he is a good boy.

IP Logged
magicfairy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/13/05 at 19:36:54

Got my license riding round the block 20 years ago on a Nifty Fifty (in NZ)
Rode scooters for commuting on and off for 20 years, got sick of alway being pillion on my partners Hayabusa and decided to learn how to ride a real bike this year.
Bought a second hand sports bike. Honda NT650, low but now low enough. (I am 5ft 1")
Kept dropping it when I got caught out on high ground, was just about to go back to a scooter but called into local motorcycle shop to talk about my options, and luckily the sales guy really talked me into looking at the S40 cos it was low and lightweigh. Perfect, I could put my feet down.  Bought it brand new, no test ride bike available, white. Loved it from Day 1.  1200 kilometers  later (in 6 weeks) I still love it, haven't dropped it, confidence regained. Sure it backfires (will sort that one day - seen the info on the white spacer) has no fuel guage / trip meter (sorted with a luggage lock) but I still love it to bits.  

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #4 - 11/13/05 at 19:49:27

Had a Yamaha V-Star 650, loved the balance of the bike but being vertically challenged, (4'11"), Had trouble reaching the brakes and touching more than a tippy toe. I let my son-in-law have it. A local shop was building me a bike & when it was finished, someone made him an offer on it & I agreed he should sell it. (Another v-star, lowered, etc.) He called one day & said he had a bike for me, I drove over & fell in love, could reach both the ground and  the brakes. The price was a 1/3 of what the other bike was, weight was perfect. After I got it home, started looking for one for #2 daughter. She also loves hers.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #5 - 11/13/05 at 20:05:45

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I remember when the first ones came out. I read a few road tests on them & always wanted one. Was bummed when they dropped it for a few years & glad when they brought it back. I read the piece in Rider magazine on the white spacer years ago & clipped it out & saved it for the day I got my Savage. Finally, in 2005 a new bike was in the budget (or close enough) & I got my S40. Shortly after I found this website doing Savage searches in Google.

oops, I meant I bought mine in 2004, not 2005. gettin' old! Tongue

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/13/05 at 21:38:50

I took the MSF course on a 250 thumper about the same size as an S40.  Wanted something similar, but the local bike shop sponsoring the MSF course didn't have anything in that size.  I hunted around until I found a dealer that had some 250's.  Sitting right next to them was a black S40.  Love at first sight.

I'm 5'9, 190 lbs and it suits me perfect for the local highways.  I like the ease of maintenance, too.

IP Logged
Kaishaku
2005 No Login

Reply #7 - 11/13/05 at 22:54:07

*grumbles*  I already have a (non-savage) bike, but you guys keep making me want a savage!

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/13/05 at 23:17:32

Price.  I budgeted $3000 for bike, helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, msf course, taxes and insurance.  It seemed by far the best of the few choices I had.  Having it has shown me many other positive though.  It's big downside for me was the highway performance and muffler sound.  A little tuning took care of that.  I hope that down the road I will be able to take advantage of its ease of maintenence, but as of now I have had no problems with it.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 11/14/05 at 02:30:19

Well, I came to the LS650 via an old '85 Rebel ... was coming home from Rebel Riding back in the summer of '03 when a guy who lives up the street from me went zipping by on a rather beat-up old Bike that had a cool "thumping" sound. Curiousity got the better of me, so I backed the Reb out the drive and rode up the block to check out his Bike and introduce myself. Said Bike turned out to be a rather neglected old '87 Savage that the guy had inherited from his brother ... it had spent many years outside without a cover and was very rusty ... I was intrigued, as I hadn't seen anything like it before ... and when I sat on it, it fit me perfectly! So, from that point on, I started researching Suzuki's LS and read everything I could find about the Bike and planned to buy one the following spring ... but by August, I found on-line, a dealership in Toronto that had discounted their stock of '03 LS650's by almost $1500!! Made my mind up then to sell the Reb and see if I could get myself a new Savage ... and within 2 weeks, I had sold the Rebel and had a brand new teal green LS parked in my shed! She's a great 'lil Bike and I am proud to own her!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 11/14/05 at 09:13:19

Kaishaku wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
*grumbles*  I already have a (non-savage) bike, but you guys keep making me want a savage!

There is only one cure for this deep seated  craving...you have to get one for yourself.  THEN you will be satisfied...and it does feel ohhhh sooooo goooood..............................especially if you perk it up a bit.

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 11/14/05 at 11:38:01

I sold a 4 wheeler for 1300 with the intent of buying a motorcycle and found a 98 savage in the want ad for 1200. looked it up on line and liked the looks, the light weight, the ease of maintenance. then i went and bought it at 6:30 the next morning. best decision i ever made(with regards to anything motorized)
the best decision i ever made was going out on a date 20 years ago with my now wife.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #12 - 11/14/05 at 14:56:00

First bike was a CA110 Honda Sport 50 in 1964.  Longest owned bike was a Yamaha DT175, 1974 - 1987.  Had a 500cc liquid cooled V-twin Honda, full fairing, in GB for five weeks toured most of the island.  Had a GS450E with quicksilver fairing for about six months, took it L.A. to Seatle and back.  Stopped riding when got married with kids, circa 1987.  A few years ago the wife got a job, got a new car, I needed a new(er) car.  Was going to get my Company van, but they wouldn't sell to me and I missed getting the information on the dealer who bought it at auction.  Wife asks "Have you considered a motorcycle?"   Roll Eyes

Needed a city bike, capable of 70 mph freeway on rare occasion.  I LIKE slim and light like my DT175.  New dual purpose bikes all have super long travel suspension and thus too high of a saddle.  I am not into scooters or sportbikes.  I had narrowed my choices to the Suzuki 250 Marauder and the Honda 250 Nighthawk.  (The 250 Rebel and the 250 Virago have parts that poke my legs.)

Then I read the specs on the Savage -- only 50 pounds heavier but with a HUGE Thump'n motor.  Found a used one in Long Beach, sat on it, loved it.

WWW   IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #13 - 11/14/05 at 18:58:08

First bike was a honda st 90, don't ask me the year, I was 14 at the time and did not care what the year was only that it was mine to ride, did not own another until the savage about 7 years ago.  My Father phoned me to say he found a bike at a Garage sale for 1 000.00 Cdn, told me a little about it and asked my opinion on it, I had never heard of a Savage at the time, but told him any running bike was worth about 1 000.00 so if it was in decent shape it was worth the price, then I threw in a monkey wrench and asked him if he would lend me the money to buy it, he hesitated then said yes, ( I did not clue in to the fact that he wanted it for himself, for work), I then drove to Alberta to look at it. ( I live in Saskatchewan). took one look and ride and bought it that day.  been happy ever since (with the bike).  Man it is good to know that my Dad Loves me that much, does a body good don't you know. Grin

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #14 - 11/14/05 at 20:21:30

I was looking for a bike for some time after the two ladies down the block had purchased bikes for themselves...I was so envious I had to get one for myself.  After months of looking at Rebels and Virago 250 machines I sat on my brother-in-laws M50.  I liked it a lot, it just seemed big for me (5'-6").  The very next time I was at my dealership they had just received one each red, silver and black 2006 S40's.  I sat on the silver (looks blue to me) one.  My 12 year old was with me and said, "You should buy that"...I said, "Okay."  

Never looked back...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 06:05:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How You Came to Ride a Savage/S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.