Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain & Valve adjustment? (Read 10 times)
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Cam Chain & Valve adjustment?
11/02/05 at 02:14:01

Is there a step by step type of instruction on how to adjust the valves in the tech section? (I should do the "plug/cap seal while I'm at it as well.) If not, does anyone have some helpful advice?
I was also concerned about the cam chain check/adjust as well. My bike runs good without any issues as it is now, but with winter coming on I would like to do these to be sure that the next riding season will be just as good as this one was!
As long as I am wrenching around the bike, I have a stock carb that could use a larger main jet. Would anyone here possibly have a spare size or two diffrent from the stock one they dont need? I will pay for shipping and cost of the jets.
        Thanks Grin

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Cam Chain & Valve adjustment?
Reply #1 - 11/02/05 at 07:14:36

There is some misunderstending  here.
1. To adjust the valves You do not have to touch any other of the mentioned components.
2.The cam chain is not adjustable /I mean it is autoadjustable/ so if You don't have excessive noise - don't mess with it.
3.The same aplies to the famous plug - if it is not leaking- don't touch.
4. The comming winter storage doesn't  have anything to do with the valves and the chain.  For the winter - just change the oil and put a spoonfull of oil in the cylinder, or even better- just byu fogging oil for jetskis , remove the filter and spray in the air box while the engine is running at midrange RPM. Don't forget the battery-make sure there is the right amount of electrolite inside and hook it up to a trickle charger. If the bike will stay in a severe cold, may be it will be better to remove the battery and keep it in a basement.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Reply #2 - 11/03/05 at 00:33:15

Yes, the "ain't broke, don't fix it" advice is the way to go!
I was unaware that the cam chain has a self tensioning setup that you described. The plug/cap project idea was to be done if it were necessary of course and if I were to be "digging in" to the upper part of the engine to do valve adjusting.
Thank You very much for replying with the information on these maintenance issues.
I am still looking forward to replacing the main jet in the stock carb to increase performance as an alternative to the more costly replacements that are available.

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 11/05/05 at 05:28:05

First, get a manual.

Second, I'm kinda a believer in "middle of the road" when it comes to the valve clearance.  The specs call for .003 to .005" clearance on the tappets, and considering that the they are difficult to reach under the frame tubes, I set them at .004".  I do that by first snugging the adjuster on the .005" feeler gage.  Then after removing the gage, I tighten the adjuster nut the rest of the way.  That almost always closes the gap to a .004" clearance.

Oh, and don't forget that you must set the crank position at TDC on the compression stroke.  Both sets of the intake and exhaust valves will be closed and this mark should be lined up as shown below.

Good luck.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 11/05/05 at 07:42:44

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
First, get a manual.

Second, I'm kinda a believer in "middle of the road" when it comes to the valve clearance.  The specs call for .003 to .005" clearance on the tappets, and considering that the they are difficult to reach under the frame tubes, I set them at .004".  I do that by first snugging the adjuster on the .005" feeler gage.  Then after removing the gage, I tighten the adjuster nut the rest of the way.  That almost always closes the gap to a .004" clearance.

Oh, and don't forget that you must set the crank position at TDC on the compression stroke.  Both sets of the intake and exhaust valves will be closed and this mark should be lined up as shown below.

Good luck.

http://suzukisavage.com/images/uploaded/TDCMark01web.jpg

What he said... and remember to rotate your engine in the same direction it normally runs when turning it to TDCC.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 11/05/05 at 07:56:43

I forgot.  Thanks Rob.

Turn it counter-clockwize in the picture above.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:31:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain & Valve adjustment?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.