Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dilema, mod or stock? In the shop right now (Read 2 times)
Weez
Ex Member

Dilema, mod or stock? In the shop right now
10/18/05 at 13:51:10

Hey all,

Let me tell you a small story leading up to this situation.  

I have pruchased a used suppertrapp from lancer that is very nice.  My 86 svage is currently at the local shop with the stock muffler and bracket off with the intentions of putting the suppertrapp on.  It turns out the bracket needsmodded for it to work, and an extension will need to be added to the header. It will probably cost in exccess of 100 dollars.  I will then need to get an aftermarket heat sheild for it to cover up the extensions and clamps and all, which I am a tad worried I wont be able to find one to work.  

So my question is, is it worth it?  I will not be able to put the stock one back on after the mod is done to the bracket.  

Where can I find a heat sheild that will work to cover up the mess?  

Thanks guys let me know what ya'll think, I have to call him tommorow.

Weez

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: Dilema, mod or stock? In the shop right now
Reply #1 - 10/18/05 at 17:01:54

id keep the stock muffler and knock the baffles out of it,that is if u like loud bikes Shocked

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/18/05 at 21:33:49

u can always get a heat shield from jc whitney.  I heard they are pretty cheap.  I never really liked the style of supertraps but with the correct number of disc it can get u more power.  Seems worth it if u ask me.

IP Logged
chriss

Reply #3 - 10/19/05 at 01:11:57

Huh? i purchased a supertrapp for my 02, and it bolted right on in less than 10 minutes. came with a 7" chrome shield. the mounting holes align right up with the old mufflers mounting holes. the supertrapp is a great muffler and will really open your bike up in performance and sound. i love the rumble.

IP Logged
Weez
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/19/05 at 03:43:24

yah I was hoping it would be that easy, but mine is not a megaphone style, is yours?  Mine is the thrid one seen in this post in the picture of the 6 mufflers in this post http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=Market;action=display;num=11267...

I am not sure how to do the tuning discs, seems tricky to me.

Weez

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/19/05 at 03:43:56

I would get your bike from the shop as it is now and PM Lancer about this.  I'd be surprised if there was a $100 modification need to make the supertap work.  I would guess all you would need at most is a couple of muffler clamps, a slight bend, a new hole in the bracket and the guard.  Maybe you would need to cut the bracket and have it welded in a different position but even that would cost much.  Mine for a SE was just a little off so I just bent it.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 10/19/05 at 07:29:04

The muffler can be bolted right to the Savage header pipe...I think there was a clamp on the muffler when I sent it...if not I will send you one if you wish.  I had that same muffler on my Savage briefly so I know it will bolt on.  An extra piece of flat metal will likely be needed to span the bracket to muffler hookup.  Small pieces can be found at any hardware/Lowes/etc for a buck or two, measure and drill holes to match the bracket and muffler position, then bolt it.  
Some people do not  like the position of the muffler when bolted directly to the header so they go to a muffler shop and get a short piece of tube to fit between them, with an offset bend to reposition the muffler.   From what I hear it is very inexpensive to do.
The bottom line is that it is easy to do.  With just a little time, and very few $$, it can be done.  
The $100 quoted by the shop is outrageous.
You should be able to get  the bar, bolts, and tube for less than $20.

Actually, being a female could be helpful.  If you catch a young guy at a muffler shop on a slow day, he may take some scrap pieces from their trash bin and make the bar and tube for you for just the heck of it...just be polite and ask for help..."do you know how I could do this?"...guys like coming to the rescue...

IP Logged
Weez
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/19/05 at 17:03:36

woh! Where'd that one come from?  Do I really come across that girly?  I'm a dude dude!  HA!

As far as the muffler goes the guys at the shop are real good and i already called and said to go ahead with the job, I'll hope its not to much money and let ya'll know how it turns out...anyone have a spare heat sheild that I could buy???  Need one like the ones form JC Witney.  

Keep it real

Weez

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 10/19/05 at 23:08:29

YO, MAN...MY  A P O L O G Y  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not sure where I got off track on this one, but..............
I screwed this one up for sure.  I owe you big time.

IP Logged
Weez
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/20/05 at 03:50:46

well i'm sure you got plenty of treats I would like and i'm sure we'll be doing some dealing in the future so maybe we can get even haha!  But for all to know, Weez is a guy...haha

keep it real

Weez

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 10/20/05 at 05:57:50

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 13:03:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dilema, mod or stock? In the shop right now

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.