Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
When you gotta go.............. Storage (Read 5 times)
marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
When you gotta go.............. Storage
10/16/05 at 14:20:18

Thanks all for the help with the tire post I did the other day. Now my question is this -- what should I do for long term storage of the Savage -- say a year or two maybe....drain the gas tank, drain the oil too maybe?? any help is greatly appreciated

I just got back from Bahrain and now I am called to active duty once again to do VBSS ops(Visit -- board -- search and seizure)with the Seals...pretty cool but darn will I miss riding.

thanks
--Mark

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: When you gotta go.............. Storage
Reply #1 - 10/16/05 at 16:17:39

Long term storage should include jacking the bike off the ground to keep the tires from getting flatspots. Change the oil before storage, old oil has a lot of corrosive stuff in it. Run some 50:1 two stroke mix into the carb, the oil helps keep the gaskets from drying out. I would reccomend filling the tank and using a gas stablizer in it, if you let it sit empty you risk getting rust in it. Pull the battery and put it on a battery saver or just budget to replace it when you get back. Wax everything, paint and chrome with a good car wax, cover with a breathable cover(old bedsheet or real bike cover) and park it out of the way in a garage. If you are in an area with mice or other little varmints pull the seat and pack some aluminum foil in the air intake and up the muffler so the little $hits don't move in and make a home out of your bike. Luck with your active duty, keep you head down and $hit wired tight.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #2 - 10/16/05 at 19:00:41

Is it LOVE?  Have you done a lot of mods to this particular bike?  If not, frankly, let a friend buy it or just ride it while your out of country.  There are plenty of used ones around, and with all that dough, maybe a new one wouldn't break the bank when u return.  I don't think bikes age well standing unused: brakes and gas tank erosion, carb crapping up and such make it a real pain.  On the other hand, Ed_L covered most of the points, if this bike is tyour one True Love. Smiley

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 10/17/05 at 00:30:30

me   i would do all the long term storage things, but my place of storage would be hanging from the ceiling, no body/nothing gets near it. no varmits crawling all over it.

just out of the way storage.  three eyebolts  center on attach block and tackle  lift to ceiling  secure with front and rear, remove block and tackle, walk away knowing it's in a safe place.

just an outside the box suggestion.  

good luck with your deployment.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 10/17/05 at 03:15:14

I've never used a gas stabilizer, but considering fuel stored in a tank for so long might not be fully useable once you return... maybe you could pour the 2.5 gals in your car, fill up with premium to the brim?

I'd suggest the following:
1) Fill tank with 5% 2-stroke mixture, run engine until it starts smoking
2) Drain and renew oil, don't be afraid to overfill, if the bike's going to sit/stand an extra pint or two in the sump won't hurt
3) Pull out spark plug, pour a tablespoon of NEW engine oil in cylinder - to keep piston rings from seizing - then replace plug barely finger tight
4) engage gear and push/pull until you reach top dead center - piston in compression stage - that'll keep both valves shut, combustion chamber sealed and the valve springs will be at rest
5) inflate tires to at least 30% more pressure than normal
6) jack bike on three-point stand, apply naval jelly or turtle wax on brightwork
7) to maintain battery, disassemble, apply a 3-5W 12V lamp to posts and connect to one of those 12V (or variable) 1000mA power supply adapters you find in stores to recharge hand drills, R/C toys and the like
OR give away and keep model number at hand for when you return and buy a new one
8 ) slacken rear wheel bolts to slacken tension of belt drive
9) place huge red placard 'DO NOT START!' and specify what must be done to make the bike drivable again
10) pull condom over exhaust and air filter (I'm not kidding you, it's very elastic, chemically stable and will last until you're back) cover with old bedsheet, leave mix of ammonia cleaning liquid/moth balls all around to keep the 2-4-6-8 legged critters away.

Whatever you do, man, don't sell it ! Another bike is still not the one you used to have!

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
Reply #5 - 10/17/05 at 05:00:09

Thanks for the good tips, I would not have known most of that for long term storage.

Thanks for the well wishes too - I will make the Navy, the Country, the Family, and the Forum proud. I deploy in two weeks from today.

--Mark

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/17/05 at 09:30:19

Suzuki says to drain the crankcase, then fill all the way to the top with fresh oil for winter storage.  In the spring drain it all and refill to the correct level.  

Sealing the intake and exhaust with tinfoil is also a very good idea.  The manuals says to use oily rags as plugs  to keep out humidity.  I'd do the foil as well.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #7 - 10/17/05 at 14:57:47

marke2571 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Thanks for the good tips, I would not have known most of that for long term storage.

Thanks for the well wishes too - I will make the Navy, the Country, the Family, and the Forum proud. I deploy in two weeks from today.

--Mark

You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 10/18/05 at 15:36:22

Will be praying for you...drop us a line every now and then when you are able to get to a computer.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 10/18/05 at 15:51:21

Aye.  How's it go?

"... On our last night a'shore, drink to the foam.  Until we meet once more, here's wishing you a happy voyage home!"

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #10 - 10/19/05 at 03:14:14

cmgonline.com (Canadain Motorcycle Guide On-line) has a great Storage Guide ... here's the link;

http://www.cmgrc.com/1AllMembers/CMIG/Winterisation/index.html

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #11 - 10/19/05 at 18:48:10

From an old retired Navy Corpsman, Korea, Vietnam -

Fair winds and a following sea, shipmate!

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 10/21/05 at 06:39:51

marke2571 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:

--Mark

As an Old Navy veteran from 1969, I salute your service.  You are a good American.  Thank you.

I have some good ideas for storing your bike, if you want to contact me directly.

IP Logged
marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
Reply #13 - 10/21/05 at 08:14:46

You guys are just great. Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers - that means alot to me - and thanks to my fellow shipmates and servicemen who understand and who also served. Stay in contact ? I'll probably get in trouble for tying up the 'net on the boat.

Here's what I'll be doing just in case anyone wondered -- sounds pretty cool to me

4 months training in Norfolk - dont know what kind- (yep, the bike is coming with me)

a couple of months training with the Coast Guard, Marines and SEALS in different states

And then to a destroyer in the gulf (yep, that gulf) doing vessel board search and seizure ops, until sometime next summer (about 6 months) and then I think they will let me go, but after all that training, I doubt it -- probably have to do another tour and to be honest, they wouldn't have to twist my arm very hard.

--Mark

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #14 - 10/21/05 at 10:33:20

i hope your 6months go quickly and safely.thats cool u are allowed to bring your bike! ya still watch those cagers ya here Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 12:23:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › When you gotta go.............. Storage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.