Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: $200.00 oil change!!!
Reply #15 - 10/12/05 at 19:13:14

Tammi wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Well, I just picked up my S40 yesterday from the dealership.

I had taken it in for its 600 mile service.

Total bill: $223.00  Shocked

Factors in the shop's favor:

This service did include a valve adjustment.

Also, they damaged my gas tank in the process, scraping off a bit of the paint in two places. I don't think I would have noticed these scratches, but the service manager said they were more than superficial scratches, and went through at least one layer of paint.

So, they have ordered a new tank and will swap it for the current one when it comes in next week!

I give the shop kudos for owning up to the damage they did, especially since I could have very easily ridden off without noticing the scratches.

Still, I'm glad I bought a bike with easy maintenance, 'coz that's the last time I'm gonna pay $200 for an oil change!

Cheers. Tammi

Got ya, Tammy.  I made the mistake of letting the shop do my initial service too....wanting to validate that warranty thing....

They killed my battery and dented my pipe.  It cost me $180.  Go figure, but you aren't alone.  My bike has never seen a dealer since.  I don't know where they get mechaincs these days....must be online study courses  Roll Eyes

As far as the cost goes though (to make you feel better)...just imagine what it would cost you to do the work at your own pay rate.  It would take you a whole day, you'd have to buy tools, a manual and parts....and in the end it would be about the same.  All in all, you just hope they'll treat your bike as if it was their own, right?

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #16 - 10/12/05 at 22:01:25

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
If I remember correctly, my 600 mile service was about $295 last year. Next time I'll adjust the valves myself, mainly just to know that it was done.

Wow Shocked When mine needed the 600 miles service, I decided to do it myself and learn a great number of things when working on the bike.
1) My bike's valves did not need any adjustments
2) Since the tank is off, I did the 1/2 white spacer and change out all the crappy screws on the carb
3) Did the spark plug door mod so I can get to the plug w/o removing the fuel tank

The best part of all is $295 more toward accessory woohoo Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 10/13/05 at 05:15:46

Since I bought mine used with 1640 miles on it, I had no idea whether mine had been done or not.  I decided to go ahead and do it while I was replacing the head seal/plug.  I'll be going back in sometime in the next few months because it seems I didn't seal the cylinder head cover to the cylinder head as well as I could have the second time (I had to take it back off because a bolt broke off in the head... fun, fun.).  Anyway, it seeps ever so slightly - enough that I lose a drop of oil every few weeks.  I think I probably just didn't clean the pervious RTV off perfectly.  It's even possible that changing back to dino oil from synthetic could fix it but I'd rather just fix it properly.  Besides, I got a good deal on a dozen quarts of the synthetic late last year and it'll be a bit before I work my way through the rest of it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #18 - 10/13/05 at 06:22:02

My experience with the dealership that I bought my bike from is a little different than others here, but I thought I'd speak up just to let people know that there are still good dealerships out there.

A little history, I was looking for a MC last summer/fall when it was obvious that gas prices were going to go up and not come back down. This (used bike) dealer recommended the Suzuki Savage based on my description of me and my requirements. He had other bikes in stock, let me ride them etc. etc. Anyway, he sold the Savage that he had and got another in, which my wife bought me for Christmas. The dealer then winterized the bike and stored it for me until spring when I took my MSF course. He got the bike ready for riding and also delivered it (10 miles) because I was a little concerned about starting my first ride on it on one of the busiest streets in town. All of this was included in the purchase price of the MC.

Now this shop has good mechanics (not minimum wage people most MC dealerships have), but still he recommended that for my own satifaction I do my own wrenching. The shop has answered any questions that I've had to my satisfaction, and has helped me look now that I'm interested in a larger touring bike. They let me ride pretty much anything I wanted. When I was starting to lean toward sport tourers (which they don't carry as inventory), one of the mechanics let me try out his new Concours.

Anyway, just a story from the other side. Incidently the dealership is in Champaign Illinois
http://www.iremotorcycles.com/

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #19 - 10/13/05 at 07:03:52

Need to paint a gold star on the door - wonder if they have any buddies in other states they trained! I think there maybe one dealer on the westside of houston that acts reasonable a full line yamaha dealer - they did spend the time to cross ref a carb jet I needed - wanted 12 bucks for it but at least found the small round 100 mikuni I needed.

IP Logged
Conway
2005 No Login

Reply #20 - 10/13/05 at 07:45:50

Almost as bad as my local shop when I went to ask about a set of tires, the tires were priced fairly reasonable but then $40 per tire to mount on the bike   ???

Im in the wrong biz...

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #21 - 10/13/05 at 08:44:42

To pay only $40 per tire to be mounted is nothing. The flat rate for a front tire is 0.8 and for rear is 1hr. When You try and 6 hrs later You finish with sore back, busted knucles and 2 pinched tubes laying on the ground and You have a "hop" when riding the bike You will change the way You look at the $40.
About the rest of the prices- yes they are steep, but You better be grateful Yoou did not have to pay for a doctor's or for a lawer's visit.
 My best advise- try to find a decent HONEST mechanic in Your area /even talk to the guys that work in the stealership/ and talk to him to work on Your bike in his house.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #22 - 10/13/05 at 09:40:58

I guess that all depends on the price of the tires and mounting together.  A lot of dealers will mount and balance for free if you buy the tires from them.  The labor is already built into the purchase price.  Some may offer discounted mounting/balancing if you buy from them and pad the price less (you'd hope).  I bought my tires online and got a great deal.  I called a few dealers and found one that would mount and balance both for a flat fee of $100 and took 'em up on it.  Afterward I checked the alignment and belt tension and they'd done a good job.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 10/13/05 at 15:29:26

A few years back (Mar 2002)  when my engine was apart due to bottom of case damage and massive oil loss, I purchased the parts I wanted seperately and had planned on doing the assembly myself but was sidelined with cancer/surgury.  So, since the good insurance company was covering everything anyway, I had "Columbia Powersports" to do the rebuild.  The complete rebuild job from scratch cost  $1,018...and that included $50 to weld up the damaged case, oil, plug, gaskets, misc.  Not to bad for the "Full  Monty"!  It is a good shop, very helpful when you have questions and the owner is routinely in the place, walking around and asking customers if they are being treated right  and getting what they need.  NOTHING BETTER THAN HANDS ON.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 09:06:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › $200.00 oil change!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.