Send Topic Print
Uneven Brake wear (Read 0 times)
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Uneven Brake wear
10/10/05 at 17:23:06

I put my new brake shoes on.

I can't figure out why there would have been uneven wear. Also I can't figure out what I might do about it.

Any ideas?

If it makes a difference, the excess wear was on the inboard (opposite the piston) side.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Uneven Brake wear
Reply #1 - 10/10/05 at 17:40:59

Were the pins lubed well and the halfs move easy?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 10/10/05 at 20:32:24

Rear brake shoes tend to do that....even while there is good lining left.  One of them just gets more load.  Has to do with the trailing/leading thing with the shoes and the single pivot actuator.  Just the nature of the beast.

I had a bike once where I was really cheap and I wrapped brass shim on the brake actuator just to increase pressure and extend the time on the shoes....I think that it was my Yam DT400 Smiley

Now, if the wear indicator on the hub says they are worn too much, I change them.  

As well, don't forget that the brake hub wears out too.

Too bad there isn't a use for this stuff  Tongue

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #3 - 10/11/05 at 05:35:36

Reelthing,

Yeah, I thought everything moved pretty easily when I took it apart. I did clean everything and lube it again before I put it back together.

Greg,

Sorry I wasn't clear (I thought inboard was enough reference) but I was talking about front brakes.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 10/11/05 at 05:50:43

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Greg,

Sorry I wasn't clear (I thought inboard was enough reference) but I was talking about front brakes.

Ahh,  I wondered too.  I think it was the use of "shoes" rather than "pads" that implied the rear brakes.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #5 - 10/11/05 at 07:12:07

I see said the blind man as he picked up his wheel and spoke Grin

I've always used pad for the piece that contacts the disc or drum and shoe for the whole piece, but I know that some people use the term pad for discs and shoes for drums. My bad.

Of course I'm not alone Shocked  Shocked :

From a website of legal definitions:
"Pressurized brake fluid travels along the brake line to the caliper. The pressurized fluid pushes the piston (green) and inner brake shoe against the disc (blue). Pressure against the disc pushes the caliper away from the piston, pulling the outer brake shoe against the disc. As the brake shoes clamp together, friction slows the rotation of the disc and wheel. "
and from the Muscle Car Clubs website:
"Brakes, Disc: A type of braking system in which brake shoes, in a vise-like caliper, grip a revolving disk mounted on a wheel to slow or stop disc and wheel rotation for braking. Properly called "Caliper Disc Brakes," they are used on most modern cars."

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 10/11/05 at 11:22:17

Like I said, I wondered.  I know some folks use 'em interchangeably and some don't.  I grew up with my father using "pad" for disc and "shoe" for drum but later heard a lot of folks use pad for either.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 10/11/05 at 12:27:38

Thinking back, I think we used to be able to replace brake pads on brake shoes by riveting new pads onto old shoes. That was a few years ago. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 15:31:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Uneven Brake wear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.