Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie with starting problems (Read 1 times)
jbrough7
Ex Member

Newbie with starting problems
10/08/05 at 06:02:32

Hi.  I've been a savage owner for six months now and love it dearly.  Have already ridden it cross Canada and back through the states with nary a problem.  I'm tall, though, so I'm  looking to address the low seat height this winter.

Big problem right now is it just won't start.  Has done this intermittently ever since I got it but now does it all the time.  I suspected the clutch switch but mechanic tells me its the relay under the seat that controls the starter and decompression.  (suzuki part # 32910-24B00)  It's supposed to retail for $143 Canadian.  I don't really trust this guy so I just wanted to know if anybody else had any thoughts or knew this part or whatever....

The battery is new and the bike seems to have lots of power when it won't start.  Doesn't click or turn over or anything...just needs to be bump started and then runs fine...switch it off and that's it.

Thanks.

Jim

IP Logged
methom
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Maine
Re: Newbie with starting problems
Reply #1 - 10/08/05 at 08:33:18

This is likely not it, but you might want to remove the seat and check to make sure that all your wiring connections are snug.  My bike would periodically cut out and give me problems re-starting (same thing, no turn over, no nothing).  I discovered, though, that one of the wiring connections was not fully seated.  With that plugged in (and taped), I haven't had a problem.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 10/08/05 at 08:53:03

Jim, there is no way to answer Your question without running some tests. If You know how to use a test light- no problem. The check for the clutch switch is simple- There should be power on one of the Y/g wires when Yoou push the start button. If there isthe start button is OK. Use a paper clip and jump between the 2 Y/G wires of the switch. If the bike starts- bad clutch switch-, just keep the jumper there. If this doesn't help there will be couple of tests.
Test for power on the Y/B wire  of the starter relay /under the seat/ .If there is a power when You push the starter button and The bike doesn't crank - Bad starter relay. In  NO power - The next in line is the decompressor controller /the square black box just above the carburetor/.
Check  the R/W wire for power when the key ON and on the Y/G wire when start button pressed. If Yes the decomp. controller is bad. If there is no power at the R/W - bad fuse.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #3 - 10/08/05 at 19:44:18

If I knew how to post threads here, I'd cross reference my recent thread about my thumbswitch and dressing the contacts. If you are getting nothing when you press your thumbswitch, you might have the same problem.

If you search under my membername, it was a recent thread (less than two months for sure). Either that, or maybe someone else can add the thread.

-----------------------

Click the modify button on your post here and take a look at the code for the link below.

Hey, something new happened to me

Rob

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/08/05 at 20:32:57

Hey, something new happened to me

here is ur thread.

i should be an honorable moderator.  Teasin Tongue

i suggest clicking the 1st thread in order to learn how to post urls and pics Smiley

------------------------

I only modified it to include the link's title.

Rob

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 10/09/05 at 07:27:45

What is the status of this problem?  All fixed?

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/10/05 at 02:21:06

My mechanic tightened all the connections and it seems to be okay....has worked well for two days now but he has warned me it could die at any time if I don't replace this 'relay' under the seat.  I believe it's called the 'decompression sender unit'....anyway, thanks for all the advice from everybody...sure love this site and sure love my savage!

Jim

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 01:12:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie with starting problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.