Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
s-40 tank emblemsand (Read 3 times)
Goose
Ex Member

s-40 tank emblemsand
09/30/05 at 18:52:54

has anyone removed the tank emblems from a s-40 yet and without messing up the paint?

IP Logged
Curz
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Re: s-40 tank emblemsand
Reply #1 - 09/30/05 at 18:56:45

It appears to be held on with some form of double sided tape. I wonder if WD-40 would work like it does for the factory stickers?

Curz....
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 09/30/05 at 19:08:50

If it's like the Savage, they're underneath the clearcoat.  It's necessary to use a blowdrier to heat it up in order to remove it.  You need to drain and air the tank first though.  Drain it because otherwise the fuel disperses the heat too quickly for it to work and air it so you have less chance of ignition.  I'd recommend a hairdrier instead of a heat gun as the heat gun could easily damage the paint.  It's a bit of a pain but it can be done.  There will be a faint outline left in the clearcoat afterward too.  You can rub it out or ignore it.  I just added a different decal and some rattlecan clearcoat and moved on.  I will probably be reworking my clearcoat at some point though.  Unless you use a catalyzed clearcoat, it will not be very resistant to gasoline spillage.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 09/30/05 at 19:42:21

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
If it's like the Savage, they're underneath the clearcoat.  It's necessary to use a blowdrier to heat it up in order to remove it.  You need to drain and air the tank first though.  Drain it because otherwise the fuel disperses the heat too quickly for it to work and air it so you have less chance of ignition.  I'd recommend a hairdrier instead of a heat gun as the heat gun could easily damage the paint.  It's a bit of a pain but it can be done.  There will be a faint outline left in the clearcoat afterward too.  You can rub it out or ignore it.  I just added a different decal and some rattlecan clearcoat and moved on.  I will probably be reworking my clearcoat at some point though.  Unless you use a catalyzed clearcoat, it will not be very resistant to gasoline spillage.

i concur.    a great discription of the job.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #4 - 09/30/05 at 20:13:34

NO NO NO. It's nothing like the Savage emblem. It is attached to the tank with double-sided tape. Try to cut the foam with the dental floss. Stay as close as you can with the emblem as you can. After it is off, you can take care off the sticky stuff later Wink

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #5 - 09/30/05 at 21:29:41

You might try some Goo Gone. I've used it to get the sticky residue off after peeling stickers off things. It's sort of oily & dissolves adhesives. Might make it easier to peel off the emblems. There's some alternatives made of citrus oil that might work.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
dubb-1b
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/30/05 at 21:38:28

I did mine. It is real easy the metal emblem comes off if you heat it up pretty good with a hair drier. I also removed the emblem from the side panels. You may need to use some sort of adhesive remover on the residue.

IP Logged
Goose
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/01/05 at 08:10:27

thanks for the info dubb-1b

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #8 - 10/01/05 at 13:39:09

...Gosh, I think that the tank logo for the S40 looks so nice on there..like "a touch of class".
...hmmm, well ya know, no tank logo no stickers, just a smooooth tank! Yes that would be slick.   Smiley

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 10/01/05 at 23:18:06

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
NO NO NO. It's nothing like the Savage emblem. It is attached to the tank with double-sided tape. Try to cut the foam with the dental floss. Stay as close as you can with the emblem as you can. After it is off, you can take care off the sticky stuff later Wink

That's why I said If it's like the Savage.  I haven't looked at the S40's tank emblem.  I hope it is just 2-sided tape; that's be a lot less of a pain than the Savage job.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 10/02/05 at 07:18:32

Since I appear to be in the minority....There is always the option of leaving the emblem on there... ???

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 10/02/05 at 14:21:10

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Since I appear to be in the minority....There is always the option of leaving the emblem on there... ???

That's true.  But mine was the gold arrow emblem and I thought it was kinda dorky.  One side-effect (I personally find interesting from a psychological point of view) of having something generic is that a lot of other folks have no idea what it is - and they appreciate the bike on it's own merits rather than a name.

Brad Sloan

Reply #12 - 10/03/05 at 12:06:24

I took mine off with dental floss and WD40.
Goo Gone may work better than WD40. Use a airdryer to take the side stickers off. Also took the sticker off the belt guard too. You can use a onesided razorblade on the belt guard. Don't use a razorblade on the tank or the sides.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 07:47:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › s-40 tank emblemsand

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.