Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ceramic coating the header pipe (Read 13 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Ceramic coating the header pipe
09/30/05 at 16:07:44

Hey folks,

Did a 7000 day search on "ceramic"...

...came up with brake pads and a little bit of ceramic paint...

Thinking about getting my header pipe ceramic coated, inside and out as I would like to reduce the engine temp a bit.  Does anyone foresee any problems with this, suck as too low an oil pressure?  Also, I would then not be afraid to run header wraps, for looks.  A major problem with header wraps, to my understanding, is that they can rust the heck out of the header... not good.

Thanks for any input,

K

IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Re: Ceramic coating the header pipe
Reply #1 - 10/02/05 at 04:06:46

How does ceramic coating reduce the engine temp?  Does wraping the headers have the same effect?

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #2 - 10/02/05 at 07:05:33

Ceramic coating will keep exhaust gas temp up so the engine will see a shorter header,more revs.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 10/02/05 at 14:15:43

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Ceramic coating will keep exhaust gas temp up so the engine will see a shorter header,more revs.

Much the same as the header wrap, but far better looking and lasting.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 10/03/05 at 14:13:01

well, I may be the first to find out, then!  I will probably add the header wrap at the same time.  I do like the looks of header wrap... a lot!  Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 10/03/05 at 14:15:25

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
well, I may be the first to find out, then!  I will probably add the header wrap at the same time.  I do like the looks of header wrap... a lot!  Smiley

If you use the wrap, be sure to get the sealant for it.  Otherwise it soaks up water from rain/splashes and steams.  When it steams, it stinks.  The sealant helps quite a bit but doesn't make it waterproof.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 10/03/05 at 16:18:49

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
If you use the wrap, be sure to get the sealant for it.  Otherwise it soaks up water from rain/splashes and steams.  When it steams, it stinks.  The sealant helps quite a bit but doesn't make it waterproof.

So you're saying I can make my rat smell lousy too?  YES!  Wink

Thanks for the tip! (seriously)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 10/03/05 at 21:15:14

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
So you're saying I can make my rat smell lousy too?  YES!  Wink

Thanks for the tip! (seriously)

Ummm, you're welcome... I guess.

PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 10/04/05 at 03:20:54

Ahhhh Rat Bikes ... they have a charm all their own!! My LS is still relatively new, so for now I wanna keep 'er shiney ... but, when she gets 10 years or so under her belt, I wouldn't have too much aversion to "Rattin' 'er out"!!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 10/04/05 at 07:15:55

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Ummm, you're welcome... I guess.

Actually,  I did mean that I would use the sealant...  so I still mean thanks!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 10/04/05 at 09:43:34

Doesn't "Oklahoma-Mike" work at a place that does all types of plating?

IP Logged
patryuji

Reply #11 - 10/06/05 at 17:38:29

I've been thinking about getting the entire engine ceramic coated by swaintech:

"Gold coat" for the piston top
"Poly-moly" for the piston skirt
"Thermal barrier coating" for the head, valves, and valve seats [after the head is ported and polished]
and then a good header with header coating.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 10/06/05 at 17:59:53

When I had my cylinder bored and the "silicone carbide treatment" done to the cylinder, I asked about the other services available...especially for the piston, and was told that unless I was building an all-out racing engine it would be a waste of money.  It just would not make any significant difference on a street bike.  
The silicone carbide treatment was not very expensive and did make a noticeable difference.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 10/07/05 at 05:58:54

Lancer,

I've heard of folks having their cams teflon coated.    Specifically, very aggressive, high lift  cams on V* 1100s with 11.6 or 12 to 1 HC pistons.  Does this make any sense to you?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 10/07/05 at 07:13:42

I have no direct experience with that process or the cost of it.  It would seem that with the higher compression ratio the exhaust valve would be under greater heat stress, but is it more than a stock valve can take?  I don't know.  

With things of this nature you have to find out what the stock parts are made of, how much is the engine really stressed beyond normal, what trick treatments are available...what do they do...how much do they cost...is it really necessary....and what is the cost vs return difference?

That is what I went through with my bike when having the cylinder work done.  I was prepared to have all sorts of stuff done at a cost of about $1000.  The guy I talked to at Bore-tech was asking questions about what the bike was to be used for, how I rode it, what else was being done to the engine...like cam/carb/exhaust, and what were the results that I was really looking for?  After going through all of that he suggested that I just stick with the silicone-carbide cylinder treatment...anything beyond that would be a waste for me and my situation.

The silicone-carbide was cost effective and resulted in extending the engine life (miles), reduced friction and lower engine operating temperature.  All very practical things even for a dead stock engine.

I would highly recommend Bore-tech to anyone, they treated me very well, saved me money, and turned the job around in about 10 days.
The same can be said for Web Cams Inc, they did my cam regrind, walked me through the process, did not cost much and did it in less than 2 weeks from when I sent the cam to them.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:29:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ceramic coating the header pipe

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.