Bigger fuel tank? (Read 30 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Bigger fuel tank?
09/27/05 at 16:02:30

The savage has a 10.5 liter tank/ 2 1/4 gals - at least, here in Europe. This means I can ride an easy 100 miles before looking for a gas station, 120 maybe but then I wouldn't want to try my luck.
Problem is I commute a good 150+ miles to see my family on Friday evenings, and another 150+ on Sunday evenings to get back to work.  Sad
What kind of bigger tank would you suggest?
Intruder? Other make?

Thanks all  Smiley

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Re: Bigger fuel tank?
Reply #1 - 09/27/05 at 16:44:47

Heres a link to a previous post.  He changed the tank to a Maraurder tank.  It has some good pictures.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 09/28/05 at 05:40:05

mpescatori wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
The savage has a 10.5 liter tank/ 2 1/4 gals - at least, here in Europe. This means I can ride an easy 100 miles before looking for a gas station, 120 maybe but then I wouldn't want to try my luck.
Problem is I commute a good 150+ miles to see my family on Friday evenings, and another 150+ on Sunday evenings to get back to work.  Sad
What kind of bigger tank would you suggest?
Intruder? Other make?

Thanks all  Smiley

Maurizio

This is another one to definitely use the search engine.  This topic has been hit several times with some interesting results.  Da Queen even added a TourTank to her bike to increase her range between stops.  Her thread is a good read too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #3 - 09/28/05 at 08:41:46

OK I guess I'll just have to learn to use your search engine.
Still, it's nice to write and see you guys' thoughts on these issues.

M

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 09/28/05 at 09:14:33

I read all the related and cross-related threads until my eyes were watering... I believe I understand the principles behind the principles  Roll Eyes but just one question... I couldn't find it in any dictionary so here goes...
what exactly is the petc0ck? (I know I have to use the zero because of censorship software in the background...)
Initially I thought it was just anothe name for the fuel tap, then I realize it's on the other side AND it appears to be ... vacuum operated?
Huh?

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 09/28/05 at 10:32:48

OK I guess I'll just have to learn to use your search engine.
Still, it's nice to write and see you guys' thoughts on these issues.

M

I was pointing out that there was already a lot of info available - some may be from folks no longer on the board.  Otherwise I wouldn't have done a search myself and included the link to Da Queen's TourTank post.  Incidentally, I see they've introduced a 3.5 gallon spun aluminum version that looks very nice.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 09/28/05 at 10:40:19

I read all the related and cross-related threads until my eyes were watering... I believe I understand the principles behind the principles  Roll Eyes but just one question... I couldn't find it in any dictionary so here goes...
what exactly is the petc0ck? (I know I have to use the zero because of censorship software in the background...)
Initially I thought it was just anothe name for the fuel tap, then I realize it's on the other side AND it appears to be ... vacuum operated?
Huh?

Maurizio

The petc0ck is the fuel valve located on the left/port side of the tank.  It is vacuum operated in the ON position.  I believe it is also vacuum operated in the RES position but I'm not sure.  PRI is not vacuum operated; it is a simple gravity feed.  These assume you haven't modified yours like in Bobo383's petc0ck conversion post in the Technical Corner.

mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 09/29/05 at 14:03:01

I will pick up the bike in... less than 12 hrs! Grin
Spoke to the chief mechanic, he says the engine's in good nick (good shape)  Cheesy
but the chrome is cr4ppy Embarrassed
and the aluminium sump looks awful  Angry
but he claims it's only cosmetic  ???
I asked about the spokes, he says the chrome is off on most  Embarrassed
''They won't snap as I ride home?'' :'(
''No but they're in need of a VERY throrough cleanup''...

So...
Have I named my bike yet? [glow=red,2,300]Barabbas [/glow]good'nuff?  8)

As for the petc0ck, I thought there was going to be a...fuel tap, hand operated, as in ''off - on - res''
So this has got me stumped ???
Unless it's one of ''them 'merican things'' and we're exempt.

I'll let you know

Maurizio
PS maybe I'm overdoing it with all these smileys...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #8 - 09/29/05 at 17:41:10

Fuel tap has 3 positions, down is on when the engine is running. It is vacuum operated when the engine starts. Back is prime and used when the carb bowl is dry or the bike has been sitting long enough  to evaporate the fuel from the carb, forward is reserve, about 25 miles worth in my experience. Depends on how you ride and the bike. There is no manual off position. Pretty typical of Asian biles these days.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #9 - 09/29/05 at 17:43:57

Peter the blacksmith from Finland fitted a Kawsaki KN tank I think. You may be able to find something on it on what is left of Berts site. http://www.heise-workstations.de/ls650/LS650-e.html. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #10 - 10/10/05 at 07:54:51

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Fuel tap has 3 positions, down is on when the engine is running. It is vacuum operated when the engine starts. Back is prime and used when the carb bowl is dry or the bike has been sitting long enough  to evaporate the fuel from the carb, forward is reserve, about 25 miles worth in my experience. Depends on how you ride and the bike. There is no manual off position. Pretty typical of Asian biles these days.

Oooohhh... as in 'down is on, back is fast forward and back is reserve...'

Got it right?

Does this mean I've actually been riding the bike in 'prime' all this time ???

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Michiel Pielkenrood

Reply #11 - 10/18/05 at 03:59:36

You can easily fit a VN500 tank to your Suzuki Savage, which would make your fuel capacity grow from 10,5 to a stunning 15 liters! It even looks pretty good! (Though not as good as the original tank does)

IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/18/05 at 15:17:17

What's a vn500?  I'd love a bigger gas tank.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 10/18/05 at 15:19:08

jbrough7 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
What's a vn500?  I'd love a bigger gas tank.

Kawasaki Vulcan VN500

jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/19/05 at 03:29:47

It does look good but is there any suzi tank that will fit that is NOT teardrop!  I'm trying to get away from the cruiser look.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 11:09:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bigger fuel tank?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.