Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: What would you do?
Reply #30 - 09/25/05 at 07:22:59

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
i'de bob that baby in a minute. yeah...  

Yep.  With all the V-twins out there, a parallel twin would have to be MY choice....the Speedmaster is around $8K and pretty cool looking.  I sat on one last weekend.

IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #31 - 05/08/08 at 12:33:01

I know this is a very old post but here goes have put some money into the savage, then dumped the savage due to not paying attention, sold savage for 100 less then what I paid for it about 10 years ago, and this Saturday headed off to Calgary to buy 2007 vulcan 900 Classic Lt.

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #32 - 05/08/08 at 12:47:04

HawkEye1967 wrote on 05/08/08 at 12:33:01:
I know this is a very old post but here goes have put some money into the savage, then dumped the savage due to not paying attention, sold savage for 100 less then what I paid for it about 10 years ago, and this Saturday headed off to Calgary to buy 2007 vulcan 900 Classic Lt.

I put down a deposit on a new 06 900 last month.  Then I decided not to spend as much money and got the Savage.  I like the Savage a lot, but get bummed when I see a 900 in town.  Very nice bike for the money.

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #33 - 05/08/08 at 16:32:16

My dream bike these days would have to be something that is designed for the long haul but not as cushy as a Goldwing. I really really like the Honda ST1300. That would be my dream bike this year. A good used one would be well inside your price range. Heck, even a new one would come in right around the upper end of your budget.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #34 - 05/08/08 at 20:39:25

Was curious what happened to you and your decision.  Hope the new ride treats you well, keep us posted Cheesy.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #35 - 05/08/08 at 21:09:39

Ken, G, interesting comment about the Honda ST1300. I see our county sheriff's are mounted on new ones this year. The deal with HD must have expired and I know they went to bid 2 or 3 times to get 6 bikes for the troops. They are plan white, small LED light packages, a holster for the radar gun on the tank side and "SHERIFF" in small barely contrasting letters on the side of the hard bags. Be hard to pick them out of the crowd on the road. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #36 - 05/08/08 at 23:35:28

Hawkeye, I'm betting you made a good choice for your stated needs.

I've been searching later model and new bikes for the last couple of years, and I also have "past history" with both Honda and Kawasaki which left me favoring the other two large Japanese builders for many years.

Here's a short list of some of the bikes that I entertained the idea of buying in the last few years. Some are brand new models and others might be considered 'odd' by some people... But my general criteria were along the lines this thread had been describing: A bike a bit larger and more powerful than the Savage, without getting into the huge honking tanks that seem to be appearing at every stoplight lately. IOW... in the 750cc-1300cc range without getting into the silly 1600cc-2000cc+ 800 pound monstrosities.

The Honda 1100 Shadow: Excellent reputation, and due to two pin crank and twin carbs, known to run with bikes of larger displacement. Decided against it when I started thinking about the prospect of having to work on those two carbs jammed up under everything else.

Started looking at the VTX1300 due to its seemingly more simplistic build, but then I discovered something about the Honda bikes... Their fuel mileage sucks! Even the 1100-1300 only get in the 30mpg range! Heck my wifes old Plymouth can get over 30mpg out on the highway.

Realized that a lot of the newer FI bikes, Including the H-Ds are getting much better mileage than the Honda offerings. I dunno what the Kawa is getting, but even some of the large displacement H-D bikes with FI are getting 50mpg on the highway!

Since I've been wanting something to haul junk around on (a "grocery getter") I looked into the former Kawa 805cc Drifter, which I really like the looks of; and if I found a deal too good to pass up I might still want to try one for a while. Same goes with the Super Scooter looking Honda Pacific Coast 800 (A big attraction is the humongous trunk!) While I think actual high speed scooters like the Bergman 650 are just an accident waiting to happen; because of the small wheels and HUGE holes in the roads around here; I think the PC800 could probably survive our roads with some care. But I think the high speed small scooters of late are downright death traps; no kidding.

And even though I keep looking at all these other bikes as time goes by... (I have a current fascination with the Kawasaki Versys). I'll certainly keep at least one, and probably two of my three Savages. I've had a fairly wide variety of bikes in my life, and very few have offered the smiles per dollar ratio of the Savage.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #37 - 05/09/08 at 01:05:17

Sorry for this post,but ....

WD said "A stock Savage will walk all over a stock 800 Intruder"

Is this TRUE ??

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #38 - 05/09/08 at 06:47:44

FreeSpirit I had a vx 800 same motor puts out about twice the horsepower as the s40,It would run all over the s40 easy

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
willrph
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Wisconsin
Reply #39 - 05/10/08 at 14:32:14

Just want to add my two cents.  I use the bike as my daily commute as much as possible (great way to end and start the work day).  The Savage is great in the city and it seems to perform fine on the superslab.
  I was considering trading it in for a Marauder, but really could not justify the decision.  Still riding the rock solid single and happy for it.  In the end I thought I would look cooler on the bigger bike.  Thank goodness I came to my senses and dropped the cool factor for the fun factor.  
 I believe the the tough decision you need to make will be based on your current creature comfort with the Savage and how you will ride her.  Altough my experience is limited,
 Make a list of the must haves in a bike and compare it to the Savage and the larger bike.  Good luck

White spacer mod, 150 main, K&N Air Filter, Memphis Shades Slim
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #40 - 05/10/08 at 14:43:55

willrph wrote on 05/10/08 at 14:32:14:

Make a list of the must haves in a bike and compare it to the Savage and the larger bike.  Good luck

Yes, start a spread sheet, one column for the Savage's plusses, another for the minuses, do the same for the bigger bike, then add a column for quantifying the differences between them for each entry.  Now toss in an overall column, then total up the differences.

Now, having carefully evaluated and quantified and listed and compared --

THROW AWAY THE SPREADSHEET AND GO WITH YOUR GUT!

You haven't wasted your time with the spreadsheet -- it's purpose is to get you thinking and feeling while you do all the busy work.  It provides a structure to hang your thoughts on, not a definitive answer.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #41 - 05/10/08 at 21:23:54

Thanks All, Just brought the Vulcan home today from Calgary, AB. 12 hour round trip, Bike spent most of the time in the truck due to lack of Tags, Rode her for about 4 Kms with my friend right behind me to cover up the fact of no plates, luckily am able to get plates tomorrow (Mothers Day Sunday) Will always have a spot in my heart for the Savage it was my first real Love (Bike wise) and I thank all of you for all of your response's Wisdom and humor over the last ? years I have always felt at home here, and will probably still visit just because.
God Bless
Hawkeye

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #42 - 05/11/08 at 04:35:13

Dude, keep us up to date with your riding reports...how it feels to you...power & responsisveness...comfort...handling...can you mount a video cam?   Cheesy

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #43 - 05/11/08 at 06:07:47

« Last Edit: 07/07/08 at 06:41:12 by vroom1776 »  
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #44 - 05/11/08 at 09:55:30

A friend at work has a M109R, indicated on the speedo is 150mph. It is fast but we still have the torque.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:29:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What would you do?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.