Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
What would you do? (Read 503 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: What would you do?
Reply #15 - 09/21/05 at 08:39:13

Well, no matter wahat anyone, or me, says, the choice is up to you!

At any rate, I bought a 2004 yamaha Vstar 1100 classic out the door for $8,150, + tax to state, in US funds.  I've put 24k trouble free miles on it, and another 5k on the savage since, though right now the savage is getting more street time.  The bike looks great, runs great, and sounds great.  It handles pretty well, though not quite as well as the savage.  The stock seat height is 28" and I lowered it 2.25", but you can go as low as 5" (which makes it a hardtail) without modifying the frame.  If you do lower it, you really need to put a stiffer spring on there.  Stock seats suck.  Great brakes.  Good stock riding position.  Great riding position after I put some risers on it.  Also, these bikes are air cooled, and can handle it as they have ceramic coated cylinders.  I expect to get at least 100K miles from it.  It has plenty of kick in all gears.  5th gear doesn't have much power until 80 mph, then it goes, so highways are no problem whatsoever.  It is darn near as fast as the 1700 cc Roadstar too (I should say I have a pod air kit and pipes).  It will knock down any 1100 or smaller honda cruiser around (that is not too hopped up), as well as a kawasaki mean streak.  I've ridden my old man's R* and it is quite nice a nice bike too, just a little heavy.  The V* 1100 is about 650 lbs dry, compared to about 750.   Lot's of aftermarket parts and online help, much like the great savage forum here!    Grin   There are some known problems with it, though.  Youi have to remove the front pipe to change the oil (though there are relocation kits), and it is really easy to screw up the starter motor if you can't follow directions.

Now, you mentioned the VTX 1300.  My take:  never ridden one, but I think they, and its brother the 1800, have no soul, just torque (now if there is a bike that has soul [and torque] everyone on this forum owns one! Cheesy ).  There is a lot of plastic on it and it is liquid cooled. Bleh.  Sad  but that is really just a "looks" type of thing.  

Again, but what you like!  And congrats on getting a new ride or pimping out the savage!

So in a shameless attempt to see more V* 1100s on the road, I will finish with a pic of my 1100.  It still looks mroe or less like this...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 09/21/05 at 09:00:41

Rob is planning to keep the Savage, but turn it into a show type bike. He wants an 1100 Classic V-Star for his daily ride. That's okay, my 800 Vulcan will take him... Grin

All kidding aside, V-Stars and Vulcans are really the only midsize v-twins worth looking at. The newer Suzuki twins are alright, Sportster is a joke (still), the Shadows tend to shake themselves apart. Big Twins? Overweight , underpowered, underbraked. I work in the bike industry, I keep track of this stuff. My job depends on it.

Off to the trenches. Keep the discussion going...interesting thread.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #17 - 09/21/05 at 09:05:10

WD,

I've got to agree with you 100%.   Grin  Though I must say a pal of mine has a Volusia 800 and is quite happy with it.  It seems to be pretty quick, but I do not like the looks.

Oh,  I'd also like to add that when I bought my V*,  I was thinking about trading it in, and they offered me 3k for it.  Well, I still have my savage and I'm soooo glad I did not trade it in, though it is now for sale for $20,000.  If soemone will pay that much for it, they can have it (maybe)!  And I'll go buy a new savage and a triumph speed triple!

IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/21/05 at 09:32:53

If you have 15,000 to spend I would go HD or Triumph fer sure

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #19 - 09/21/05 at 09:35:24

Get the vtx 1300. It's a fantastic bike. It has a single pin crank so it sounds a bit like a Harley. It is super reliable with it's watercooling and Honda build quality. While a 750 would be a bit better than the LS650 on the highway, the difference isn't that great. I ride both, so I speak from experience. Go with the VTX and I can assure you you will be very happy if you spend much time on the superslab.

I love the LS650 and riding one around town is awesome. For traveling and taking trips, the VTX is hard to beat.

IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #20 - 09/21/05 at 20:52:04

Thanks, for all the postive imput, Smiley I think that this will take me over the winter before I come up with a definite decision, right now I am leaning towards fixing up the Savage, I can't quite picture myself getting rid of her. but instead of buying a "new" bike, buying a new to me bike and keeping the savage. (thanks red2k1).
I would like to have some more power, my stock Savage only goes about 127kph or like about 78 mph, not a speed fanatic just a adreneline junkie. only issues as such that I have with my bike now is.
1) top end speed for highway use.
2) urple;">more leg room, I am 6' tall
3) better seat, to help with monkey butt.
I am aware that all of these issues can be fixed with the info I have found on this site.
also I just like the lines of the Savage.  
I love listening to non riders give me grief about my "small" bike, given what they ride. Grin

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #21 - 09/21/05 at 23:13:34

A bike for every day of the week is just about right... I bought my 800 used, out the door (tax, title, license, and around $1K USD worth of accessories) for $4650. I've put a hair over 700 miles on it in 3 weeks, mostly commuting. I've got a friend with a brand new C-50, with nearly $2500 in accessories, who wants to straight trade. I'm keeping the Vulcan.

I've got someone locally who can stretch a Savage frame, no problem. Hardtail or functional suspension, same price.  Lifetime guarantee on his welds and added tubing.

Test sit every bike you can over the winter. I'd bet money (if I had any), that you'll have a Vulcan, V-Star 1100, or your Savage come spring. You'd be amazed what a simple bar swap and recovered seat will do for the Savage.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #22 - 09/22/05 at 03:44:22

8)This is a very interesting discussion for sure! Bike preference/choice is a very personal thing, affected by an infinite variety of factors ... most of which have been discussed already. as others have said, if most of a person's Riding is city or boulevard cruising ... then the LS650 does that job very well!
The Kawi Vulcan 800A that WD rides is an interesting bike ... H.D. Softail Standard-type styling in an affordable, Japanese-built package ... interestingly for '06 Kawi has dropped both the 800A & 800B (Classic) models in favour of a new Vulcan 900, with styling borrowed from the Vulc 2000 and with a belt-drive instead of chain ... sounds like Kawi could have a winner on their hands with this one ... if only they'd offer it with the "Softail Standard" looks too ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #23 - 09/22/05 at 09:03:40

If you decide to go used,  I would go to a bike specific site and ask folks about known problems to look for.  For example, V*s are known to have starter issues, and if the biek has twisted starter bolts, you probably want to avoid that particular one...

BTW, at 6' tall, the V* 1100 in stock form may be a hair small for you.  But  you can get floorboard of footpeg extensions cheap.  Risers and/or new bars...  But at $8k USD, new,  you still have cash left over for goodies...  I bet you can get one for $6k used, or maybe a little cheaper if you're patient...

At any rate,  off season and at the end of the month is a good time to get a deal on a motorcyle from a dealership...

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #24 - 09/22/05 at 19:25:42

This is the most interesting topic- aside from who is the prettiest movie star.  Cheesy Since I have a simiar set of needs I'll mention that the two bikes I've been thnking of for the past two years are the Bonnie T-100 and the Moto Guzzi Breva/Euro style and its sister the "cruiser" Nevada.  Yes that could be three.  I like belts  or shaft drive for their cleanliness. If they come out with a belt. coversion for the T-100.  I think  the slightly larger engine might be desireable. If Moto Guzzi stays in buissness, the Breva has had rave reviews and the Nevada is a good Italian version of cruiser. If you can, arrange test drives. 1/2 hour in the saddle will tell you a lot. I just got my Savage this year, as money is an issue. Relearning/getting back into (onto) motorcycles is so much fun.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #25 - 09/23/05 at 08:06:37

I got to ride my friend's moto guzzi cruiser.  I think it is the california.  ???  Anyway,  a very tall bike,  lots of power, and  comfortable for the 20 minute ride I took.  Sounded like it was falling apart, though.  She said "that's how it's supposed to sound."  Me: "You need pipes."  Her: "Up yours." us: "hahaha"  You can really lean this bike in the twisties, too.  Not a lot of aftermarket parts (at least to my knowledge), but that's not a problem for us savage owners!  Not many folks who will work on them, either, for those of us not inclined to do our own work.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 09/23/05 at 15:32:20

HawkEye1967 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Okay here's the deal, wife has agreed to my buying a new motorcycle  Shocked, basically any thing I want up to about the $15 000.00 range (max amount, also in canadian funds.)  have considered the vtx 1300 as well as the 1400 intruder have also thought of going with a smaller bike 800 intruder or 750 shadow sprit.  but to do this I have to sell the Savage :'(.  other option is to spend up to about half of that on the Savage I have now, which is a 1986 LSF.  bike is stock but would be allowed to buy whatever toys I like Grin. raask muffler, k and N filter new carb, windshield, lightbar, forward controls, etc.

Both options have a lot of appeal, love my baby, but could learn to love another (life taught me that)

So the question of the day is what would you do? 8)

Ride the bike that YOU want to ride.... Grin

IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #27 - 09/23/05 at 18:57:44

Quote:
Ride the bike that YOU want to ride....  

problem is I can't afford to buy all the bikes I want to ride, so need to narrow the choices down just a wee bit, have been checking out the 800 Vulcan,like the lines, That bike I have looked at a lot in the last couple years, but kinda have a Kawasaki issue, did not like them as I grew up (not that I have grown up Grin, just aged a weebit). so maybe time to reconsider my out of date opinions on some things. Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 09/24/05 at 08:39:08

HawkEye1967 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
problem is I can't afford to buy all the bikes I want to ride, so need to narrow the choices down just a wee bit, have been checking out the 800 Vulcan,like the lines, That bike I have looked at a lot in the last couple years, but kinda have a Kawasaki issue, did not like them as I grew up (not that I have grown up Grin, just aged a weebit). so maybe time to reconsider my out of date opinions on some things. Tongue

Okay.  How about this?  Buy a bike that isn't like anyone else's.

Speedmaster

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #29 - 09/24/05 at 20:48:02

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

i'de bob that baby in a minute. yeah...  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:32:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What would you do?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.