Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Protac Backrest (Read 12 times)
Clark

Protac Backrest
09/16/05 at 18:55:10

I put on my new Protac backrest today and rode 30 miles to work and back.  While I was impressed with the quality and easy installtion, I am not sure I like the reslults yet.  I am hoping it is just a matter of adjustment.

It seems to be forcing me forward from my normal seat position by about 3 inches.  The savage has always been just right for me, now it is too short for a comfortable leg position.  I am going to add a hard rubber bumper under the front of the brackets to force the rest backwards.  This will move the bottom of the backrest back some, but it will tilt the top much more, whih makes it less usefull.  I could also weld a plate on the mounts to move it back, but really don't want to go to the trouble.  Has anyone had this exprience.

Additionally, I have been riding on an Airhawk pad which takes much of the impact from the rear tire and shocks.  With the backrest, I can feel much more of the bump impacts since the backrest is tranmitting them direclty to my back.  While my back was much less fatigued, my muscles are sore from the beating they took.  I assume some progressive shocks will help this, but this is even more money.

Anyone else with experience on the Protac?

Clark

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Re: Protac Backrest
Reply #1 - 09/16/05 at 21:09:26

my pro-tak just in revearse, back rest WAY too far back,with my arms fully extended, my back didn't touch back rest. had to block up to move ahead,also tilted top of pad forward with a 1" spacer on top 2 screws for a more straight up angle. i'm 6' 230lbs,but have 30" inseam and short arms. front of seat up 1"with analaskaleather sheepskin pad,(black) i look over a n/c plexistar shield.took some doin,but works for me.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 09/17/05 at 04:09:39

8)Well, I too have a 30" inseam, though I am only 5'-5", 130lbs ... LS fits perfectly ... have a couple of bad discs in my lower back and heavily debated getting the Protec backrest ... especially after the heavy pounding the worn out suspension and saddle of my old Rebel used to give my lumbar ... so when I got the Savage, I figured a backrest would be my first accessory ... but, my wife picked up an elasticized back brace up at WalMart ... I tried it out the very next ride and it made such a difference that I have worn it every Ride since and have had no Riding-related back problems ... best $20 I ever spent!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/19/05 at 16:40:31

I had your exact problem, too.  I have a hydraulic press so I pressed the lower bend back some and made an upper bend to get it at a good angle for my back.  Just a few degrees at the bottom and less at the top - with cloth so the chrome would (and did) not get boogered.

It is PERFECT now, I can ride for hours with no back pain, which I would get before in about 10 minutes (too many humps in the Marines with too heavy a pack.....and then too many years..... Wink )  Best reward for rider comfort that I've got for the bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:02:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Protac Backrest

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.