Cindi Knox
2005 No Login

Iron Butt
Association Member
since 1997

Four Miles From Minooka
Engine temp
09/14/05 at 09:54:45

Anyone know nominal operating temp for the Savage engine?  I realize, being air-cooled,  it's not all that regulated.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Engine temp
Reply #1 - 09/14/05 at 10:41:48

I do not know what the temp is supposed to be but I have thought about putting a cylinder head temp guage on my bike.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 09/14/05 at 10:54:43

You are right in that air cooled engines vary greatly in temperature which is why liquid cooling is more popular/desirable. It is hard to determine the actual temperatures of your Savage engine but if you are serious about knowing this you can buy a temperature guage for air cooled cylinder heads which BTW indicates from 200 degrees to 600 F. An extreme oil temperature would be 300 degrees F, and if you had liquid cooling, 180-200 degrees F would be desirable with 265 degrees as a highest level before boiling.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 09/14/05 at 11:12:06

I have the oiltemperature gauge installed in the fillercap.
Normal operating temp is between 80 and 100 C..

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 09/14/05 at 11:41:20

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

I thought about this one once but I didn't want to drop $110 on it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #5 - 09/14/05 at 15:43:10

Good tip for lowering oil temperature; from Motorcycle Consumer News, Sep 2005: They put exhaust header wrap on to keep the shock cool on a Ducati but it also lowered the oil temperature "nearly 20 degrees" since the exhaust pipe heat was cooking the crankcase. I plan to put about 10" of it on my header pipe where the front exhaust heat shield is, that's close to the crankcase. I figure 2.1 quarts of oil doesn't take long to get hot. Not much need for it now but could be of some benefit next summer.  8)

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 09/14/05 at 19:31:59

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I thought about this one once but I didn't want to drop $110 on it.

Added that one myself - the '95 runs 80-90c normal - if I get stuck in traffic on a hot day (>90f) I have seen it get a bit above 100c - at which time I'll park it for awhile and have cold beverage myself.
I have read where these type that measure the air above the oil can be as much as 40f cooler - so at 100c the oil could be 212+40 -> 252f. The '02 runs 5-10c hotter than the '95 using the same gauge - it's either the black paint that's on the newer engine or it's still running a bit leaner.

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/14/05 at 21:21:22

Anybody made one of these on their own?  Maybe a meat thermometer in an OEM oil plug?  Can't be that big a deal.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 09/15/05 at 06:02:27

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Good tip for lowering oil temperature; from Motorcycle Consumer News, Sep 2005: They put exhaust header wrap on to keep the shock cool on a Ducati but it also lowered the oil temperature "nearly 20 degrees" since the exhaust pipe heat was cooking the crankcase. I plan to put about 10" of it on my header pipe where the front exhaust heat shield is, that's close to the crankcase. I figure 2.1 quarts of oil doesn't take long to get hot. Not much need for it now but could be of some benefit next summer.  8)

I ran the header wrap for a couple of months and it definitely insulates well.  Be advised that it will definitely blue your header a lot and will even start bluing the forward part of your muffler because it retains the heat so well.  That's why mine are now painted black.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 09/15/05 at 07:08:32

Last night I was looking through the JP catalog...Harley stuff...and I found some oil temp guages, very similar to the one for the Savage, but they were priced at ONLY $29!!!
The only difference was that these guages did not have threads to screw in...they were a rubber plug style.
THE ONES FOR THE SAVAGE ARE A RIPOFF ...priced at $110!!!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 09/15/05 at 08:40:26

For sure - as are most things with motorcycles, boats, aircraft, ATVs ....

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 09/17/05 at 07:43:07

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Oh but that is the crankcase oil.  Much hotter near the top and cooler near the bottom.  Don't forget that we also learned a few months ago that it will burn jeans too  Tongue

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #12 - 09/19/05 at 14:20:34

I admit I am a newby to Savages and this Forum but I'm not a newby to engines. I have rebuilt my own MGB and have two things to say:
1) Oil temperature: what's the point of spending $110 for a gauge and "sitting" on it?
Try this
http://www.holden.co.uk/hvc-home.htm Part number: 070.064 It is a combined oil pressure gauge/ water temperature gauge but I adapted it to work as a dual oil press/temp gauge (with oil cooler) This one's white but comes in black as well, 070.018 and 070.029
2) Tacho, I just canNOT ride a bike without a tacho.
I'm looking for a way to fit this
http://www.motocycle.co.uk/productDisplay.asp?code=070.383 it is the original Smiths tacho from the '70s.

One feeble rant... for those of you in the know, do NOT wrap insulating tape around the exhaust! If the heat cannot escape from the exhaust (and remember, in the old days exhaust manifolds were actually equippend with ribbed ring adapters) where will it go? For one, it will overheat the pipe as far down as the heat can reach (bluing the chromework) but actually a sizable portion will stay in the head, warping it!
If you odn't believe me, suits you. But to quench your curiosity, next time you have to reset the valve gaps, see if the valve caps sit even on a flat surface...

Regards

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #13 - 09/19/05 at 15:10:41

This may be a viable option for a tach. It's electronic. I don't know how it wires up.
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Produc...

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 06:43:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine temp

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.