Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine Dies after 5 minutes of Idle (Read 5 times)
mgarula
Ex Member

Engine Dies after 5 minutes of Idle
09/07/05 at 00:10:22

I have a '05 Savage, I'm sorry I just can't bring myself to saying boulevard, with 4k miles on it.  I put the last 3300 on myself. I bought the bike used. The problem I have been having since I got the bike is the engine dies after about 5 minutes of idle.  It doesn't matter if I'm stuck in Phoenix traffic, waiting at our terribly long lights, or idling along in slow traffic. I thought it was a vacuum problem because if it change the petcock to PRI the problem goes away.  The problem exists in both vacuum settings, ON and RES.  I don't have a manual yet, but it appears there is only one Vacuum line on the whole carb.  It goes from the carb to the fuel petcock.  I replaced the line and the problem persists.  I put my whole body weight on the fuel cap, thinking the leak is there, and the problem persists.  The only other bit of information to give is that the bike had been put on its side by the previous owner. The left side of the tank was dented when I bought the bike.  I replaced the tank with a new Suzuki tank.  I had hoped that replacing the tank would fix the problem.  It did not. Right now it’s just a nuisance. If I'm in stop and go traffic, I just switch the fuel system to PRI until I get moving again, problem is every now and again I forget the switch back to ON and then run out of gas, pushing my bike down the 101 is not my idea of aerobics  I have no problems on the highway.  This seems like a straight forward fuel vacuum problem, but I don't know where to look.

I read a post on another forum saying a fouled plug could cause this ... that just didn't make sense to me.

Any suggestions?

BTW, I have made no changes to the mixture or jetting, backfires only on heavy decel, farts on shut off sometimes after long rides.  Seems standard for what I've read here.

I realize the first thing many will say is rejet.  I would prefer not to rejet the bike until I understand what is wrong now.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Engine Dies after 5 minutes of Idle
Reply #1 - 09/07/05 at 03:00:33

Interesting problem. So the carb gets fuel in ON and RES at higher than idle RPM if I understand correctly.

First I would raise the idle RPM a bit to lets say 1200 RPM.
If that cures the problem then there's not enough vacuum to the petc0ck. Maybe the petc0ck itself was damaged when the bike fell over.

Remove the petc0ck and check if the vacuumconnection is not bent/cracked.

Rejetting is not neccessary in this stage.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #2 - 09/07/05 at 04:43:46

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
First I would raise the idle RPM a bit to lets say 1200 RPM.
Grin

I agree with Kropatchek. I too have 05 Savage and occasionally have the same problem. I have noway of telling what the RPM is; so I keep adjust the idle screw until it stops dying when I'm sitting at the red light.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
mgarula
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/07/05 at 06:57:50

The problem happens when the fuel petcock is set to ON or RES, i.e.; vacuum operation.

I don't recall any external parts to the petcock filter assembly are there internals, are you suggesting I dissasemble to petcock.  I seem to remember a post here somewhere on how to take a part the petcock and convert is to OFF, ON, and RES.

I have adjusted the Idle Screw to where the idle is uncomfortable high and the problem persits, just takes a little longer. In other words the higher RPM does create a higher vacuum pulling in more fuel, but not enough to keep the fuel bowl from still going dry after some time.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #4 - 09/07/05 at 07:13:54

i had the same problem your having,i had too take the carb apart and clean it,and replace the o-rings there was quite abit of dirt in the carb,it runs good ,and even idles now!

IP Logged
mgarula
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/07/05 at 07:21:05

Does everyone agree this is the problem? Have others had this problem and solved it the same way?  If so con someone give the link to a post that gives the procedure and pitfalls of removing, dissassembling, and cleaning the CARB?

IP Logged
Intruder Guy

Reply #6 - 09/07/05 at 07:57:57

Just a shot in the dark but..
Are you sure that your choke is working correctly.
Perhaps it isn't shuting off all the way.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #7 - 09/07/05 at 09:06:38

its a pretty staight forward job.how to take it apart is posted in the tech section,under carb specs.
8)

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #8 - 09/07/05 at 09:09:45

mgarula wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I thought it was a vacuum problem because if it change the petcock to PRI the problem goes away.  The problem exists in both vacuum settings, ON and RES.

It sounds like either a bad petc0ck or a leak in the vacuum line going from the petc0ck to the carb. If it runs fine on prime, there's nothing wrong with the carb (no dirt). No need to clean the carb or rejet.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #9 - 09/07/05 at 19:28:52

The quickest/cheapest way is take that vacumn hose to auto part store and get 1' of it and try it out and see if you can fix the problem with minimum effort. If that doesn't work, at least now you know you have a new vacumn tube and you can move on to the nitty-gritty of either removing/cleaning the petthinggy or the carb(can be a very frustrating job if not done right)

Good luck

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:21:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Dies after 5 minutes of Idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.