Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New member with oil leak (Read 6 times)
LombardLuzer
Ex Member

New member with oil leak
08/29/05 at 19:39:18

Hello to everyone, especially the regulars. I've been lurking for a few weeks and feel as though I know some of you from your regular postings. I purchased a 2000 Savage this past June and have been enjoying riding it after not riding a motorcycle for 20 years. I've done the white spacer (1/3 regular size, less backfire), 1" raised seat (more comfortable) and Sportster muffler (lower and louder sound) mods.  I thank all of you for the information that allowed me to improve my ride.
What finally got me to post is that I have developed a oil leak and need your advice. It seems to originate from between the cylinder head and the cylinder near the front where the exhaust pipe is connected. I took some pictures but haven't been able to figure out how to attach them to my post. The oil seems to travel along the cooling fin between the cylinder head and the cylinder towards the back of the engine where it evetually spashes on to the battery case. This leak wasn't there when I purchased the bike. There are 7300 miles on it now.
Would torqueing the head bolts fix it?
I live in Du Page county in NE Illinois in case anyone wants to get together for a ride some time.
Thanks for listening.

http://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/suzuki-savage-00-bikepics-418796.jpg
LombardLuzer
[img][/img]

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: New member with oil leak
Reply #1 - 08/29/05 at 20:53:03

welcome aboard - that's a very common leak out lined in this tech section post
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 08/30/05 at 07:03:56

Yup, that sure sounds just like the infamous Savage plug/cap leak.  It's sort of a pain but pretty straightforward.  It wouldn't be a pain at all if the engine was not in the frame.  That link above is very good.  Be sure to print that bolt placement diagram and tape it to an empty cardboard box.  There are a lot of bolts and several are very similar.  Punch holes in the diagram/box and place the bolts in the appropriate spot as you remove them.  It helped me a lot.  There are some additional photos here, only some of which pertain to this exercise.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
blue-J
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/31/05 at 13:04:47

Hi,

I recently bought a used 99 Savage and noticed the oil but did not think anything of it.  However, in my recent visits to mechanics for tune-ups and tires, they both told me that I have to replace the head gasket, which would take about 6 hours, plus 60 bucks for the gasket!

"It's sort of a pain but pretty straightforward."

I would love to do it myself, but the most I've done is an oil change.  I don't own a torque wrench or a lift.  Just how easy and straightforward is it?

Thanks,

Blue-J

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 08/31/05 at 14:03:35

It's very straightforward but it is time-consuming and requires some patience.  The difficulty is access because of the bike's frame.  You will have to remove the seat and tank but I've come to believe that's necessary for pretty much anything except changing the headlight.  Look at the link provided in the previous post by Reelthing.  It explains it pretty well.  Also, in the Technical Corner there is a post showing how to build a quick and easy bike stand for about $20.  I did and use mine all the time.  I would STRONGLY advise getting a torque wrench.  Borrow one if you have to.  I don't know for sure where your leak is, so I can't say whether or not it's a gasket or the plug/cap.  The plug/cap is quite common though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Soupah
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/31/05 at 14:16:59

Whoa, LombardLuzer, we must be from parallel universes. I'm right next door to you in Elmhurst and I ALSO just bought a 2000 Savage (last spring) after being out of the scene for 10 years. I've also got a similar (albeit less rapid) leak from my cylinder head. Thing of it is, I just did the retorquing of the head bolts and the plug cap fix, so maybe it's just a little leftover leakage, I hope. I don't want to redo it again, so I'll just probably keep an eye on it and wait til next spring to do the job over if I must. Feel free to ask me any questions about the process if you have any.

We'll have to do some riding while the weather holds...I'm on the streets of Lombard often, and I know there are some other Savage riders (2 or 3?) that frequent this board who are close by. Chicago seems to have its fair share of thumper lovers...maybe we should organize something. Cheesy

IP Logged
LombardLuzer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/31/05 at 17:34:35

Thanks to all for responding. Hey Soupah, let's definitly get together for a ride. I'm pretty busy these days but can always find an hour or two for a ride and since you're so close it can even be during the week.
The oil leak fix sounds like a big job so I'll leave it untill the weather gets nasty and there's less time for riding. I do have some mechanical aptitude but not alot of ambition.
This group is great!

LombardLuzer

IP Logged
LombardLuzer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/31/05 at 18:03:27

I've read the post and have another question. Can the plug fix be done on the bike or do I have to remove the engine?
Hey Soupah, What's your Labor Day weekend look like? Got any time in the evenings to get together for a ride?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 08/31/05 at 19:32:15

LombardLuzer wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I've read the post and have another question. Can the plug fix be done on the bike or do I have to remove the engine?
Hey Soupah, What's your Labor Day weekend look like? Got any time in the evenings to get together for a ride?

I did it on the bike, so I'm guessin' it can be done there...
I do wish I had skinnier fingers, but that's mostly for adjusting the valves. Seriously, I think almost everyone who's done it did so with the engine on the bike.  I'm not sure about Greg_650.  I think he takes his bikes apart, cleans 'em and puts 'em back together like most folks might a revolver.

Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 08/31/05 at 21:19:07

blue-J wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Hi,

I recently bought a used 99 Savage and noticed the oil but did not think anything of it.  However, in my recent visits to mechanics for tune-ups and tires, they both told me that I have to replace the head gasket, which would take about 6 hours, plus 60 bucks for the gasket!

"It's sort of a pain but pretty straightforward."

I would love to do it myself, but the most I've done is an oil change.  I don't own a torque wrench or a lift.  Just how easy and straightforward is it?

Thanks,

Blue-J

If it's as described here - tell the mechanics to be keeping their hands off your head gasket! - It really looks to me like the dealers cause at least some if not all of these head cap leaks. When they pull it the first time at 600+ miles they do not replace it or seal it - if the engine has been pretty hot I believe the rubber coated metal cap/plug is a one use gasket as part of the rubber sticks to head when you remove it - and at least the dealers in Houston do not stock it - yet will do the 600 mile service in the same day. So they're either not doing the re-torque of the head bolts or are reusing the plug/cap.

IP Logged
Soupah
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/01/05 at 13:58:22

LombardLuzer, looks like Sunday might be a good night for a ride for me if you can swing it. Why don't you drop me an email at tinidoper(at)yahoo.com and we'll set something up? I haven't ridden with anybody since I got back into 'cycles, much less another Savage rider. That'd be great.

BTW, I didn't have to remove the engine either...it seemed like I had lots of room, though YMMV.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 05:16:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New member with oil leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.