Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: riden the storm out
Reply #30 - 09/02/05 at 16:27:53

From the way I understand it the funds that were earmarked for studies and improvements of the levies under FEMA were sent to the Department of Homeland Security. That happened when FEMA was reassigned as a branch of Homeland Security instead of standing apart to respond to natural disasters. FEMA was created to respond to natural disasters but Bush changed it's primary purpose into a reponse agency for terrorist attacks. It seems that our government keeps reacting retroactive for emergencies, instead of proactive with a plan to help prevent the suffering in the aftermath of a diaster of this size. I do hope that jbird and his Savage made it through the storm, Ride Safe

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 09/03/05 at 08:04:37

Unfortunately if he is ok i everything is down in town and if he got somewhere i'm sure the last thing on his mind is logging into the board. I hope he is allright.

IP Logged
bob jones

Reply #32 - 09/03/05 at 17:05:52

i have to agree with whoever posted about the louisiana government and the responsibilty it holds.  the news people stated in great detail for several days before the storm hit that all this could happen.  it is true that so many of the affected people didn't have the means to evacuate when told to do so, therefore i again go back to the local government who should have had a plan to evacuate the people who couldn't go on their own.  before the storm hit not after.  i guess it really bothers me that they knew in great detail what would happen, they knew the levie system was not good above a catagory 3 storm, and they knew that a great percentage of the population didn't have the means to evacuate on demand and so again i say the local government should have had a better plan in place and should have evacuated them before the storm hit.

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 09/05/05 at 12:20:27

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
There has been some negative talk about the Federal gov'ts slow response to this terrible disaster...just keep in mind that the area involved is over 90,000 square miles...that is more than the ENTIRE STATE OF IDAHO.  Does anyone really believe that ANY gov't can cover that kind of land mass with security and relief in less that 96 hours???? And at the same time a huge part of that area is STILL UNDER WATER???  Anyone who thinks that is unrealistic is living in the "twilight zone".

It's understandable -- it's hard to drive trucks full of food and water to people when the streets are under ten feet of water.  

But it's only one part of the affected area.  For example, a huge part of Mississippi isn't under water, and from what I've been reading, they were complaining about the slow response also.  Why the delay in food drops there?

As far as New Orleans, yeah, I don't understand how the local authorities came up with an evacuation plan that didn't take into account something like 20% of the population.  But I also don't understand why the military was ready to do food drops almost immediately, and were just awaiting the word from FEMA -- and the word never came.

It's not unrealistic or twilight zone to wonder why it took a couple of days for the feds to even start trying.  I just feel that everyone involved should be held accountable, whether they're state, local or federal.  

(Having said that, Lancer, I hope all is well -- how's your wife doing? Smiley )

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #34 - 09/05/05 at 19:40:32

When watching the news on this past Saturday, when the storm was gaining strength...turning into a Cat 5, the mayor of New Orleans was telling the people that there was a manditory evacuation and that if they did not have transportation to report to specified locations throughout the city, where buses would take them out of the city.

Today, a report on a news channel was about the rescue teams trying to get people to leave their homes, in the midst of all the contaminated water, many of them still did not want to leave...did not want to accept that the city is detroyed and will not be inhabitable for a long time...even when told if they stayed they would get sick and maybe die...some still had to be made to leave.

Some who went through the storm were not able to get out in time for sure, for various reasons, but many simply refused to go...it is not rational...but it happened.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 13:56:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › riden the storm out

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.