Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Censorship is a slippery slope (Read 14 times)
DavidV
Ex Member

Re: Censorship is a slippery slope
Reply #30 - 08/26/05 at 21:16:26

RoughRider - The Savage ain't perfect, but it's completely fixable.  As a bonus, the common fixes give you more power.

Stuck a Screamin' Eagle muffler on after lunch, then rode 125 miles.  Nuthin' wrong with mine.  Runs hard, sounds great, and got 52 mpg.  Backfired a bit, but I expected that.  Just needs to be tweaked for the new muffler.  Get some tools, and a spare afternoon, and yours will be fine, too.  You've already heard the mantra - new jet, idle mix, white spacer.  It's not that hard.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #31 - 08/27/05 at 08:34:00

Or not.  I have no idea if the previous owner did anything.  The idle screw cover is gone, but that may have been a dealer/mechanic getting the thing to run reasonable.  Haven't looked at the carb so I can't say if it looks as if it has been opened.

Don't care.  Runs fine by my standards.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #32 - 08/27/05 at 08:40:44

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I would say anything else should be taken to an appropriate forum.  Preferably under a different alias.  There are subjects that can spoil friendships -- and I value my friends here too much to want that to happen.  It is not, IMO, wise to know too much about another's viewpoints.

Oh that goes back to the old "politics and religion" taboo.  I happen to think that discussion is constructive.  There is nothing wrong with sharing viewpoints as long as everyone is willing to accept that others may think differently.  Unfortunately, all too often disagreement leads to insult rather than insight  That is the slippery slope....

And in this kind of forum, when one person starts that downward slide, others get dragged down too.  That is why we have a moderator....

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #33 - 08/27/05 at 09:08:59

RoughRider wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I will agree with you both when it comes to political issues. This forum has no place for that. I do however beleive this forum was intended for more than just  folks who just happen to love their Savage. People come to this forum for answers. They come for truth and honesty. You should all give unbiased positive and negitives so they can make an unbiased opion of the bike before they go out and buy one. They come in here looking for information. They find all positive things said about the savage and hear no negative vibes. This forum shouldn't be biased. It should exchange idea's and veiw points good and bad. I think Susan is a great moderator with a positve view about her savage. please remember not everyone has had the same experiences that you have had susan. There are other forms out there on every other bike made and you will find a mix of idea's and opions good and bad. Even "Harley"s. It's really impossible for a bike to be as perfect as this forum makes the savage out to be.

I don't think that this forum really does anything to glamorize the Savage...to proclaim only it's attributes...or to even claim it to better than any other bike.  We all know better.   It squeaks and leaks the same as any bike.  I know well after years of fixing several Japanese types.  I don't know much about actually wrenching a Harley, but then I'm not the one that coined the phrase "paint shaker" either.

The Savage seems to have a different dynamic about it.  On one hand, it attracts beginning riders that have a lot of questions about riding and wrenching.  On the other, it is popular with older riders that have returned to riding (for whatever reason) after a few years out of the saddle.  That was my case.  The Savage is not like a Gold Wing for example, which is usually driven by older riders that don't (or can't) even do the repairs.  They just take it to the dealer.

This forum is where we, the Savage Riders, gather.  Here our age differences are even greater than the years the Savage has been produced.  We all have varying degrees of knowledge about riding and wrenching.  Our bikes all have minor differences, too.

It may appear that the Savage has a lot of faults because of all the topics for repair.  However it can be looked at in two ways.  1. If the topics were all to be condensed down there'd only be 5 or so different issues (backfires, mufflers, petc0ck, etc), and 2. When the bike is running right no one really has anything to say....or they are out riding  8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 21:28:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Censorship is a slippery slope

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.