Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
odd squeal (Read 10 times)
chriss

odd squeal
08/25/05 at 00:17:51

ive looked everywhere but i cant find  a post that answers my question. i have a squeal in my motor. if im coasting in neutral out of gear i dont hear the noise. it just happens when i apply throttle. when i shut the throttle down it stops. the noise never increases in volume or speed, its just a constant irratating queal rattle that can be heard for a block. anyone have a clue as its driving me nuts. its not the speedo and not the drive belt.....thanksl

IP Logged
jbird
Ex Member

Re: odd squeal
Reply #1 - 08/25/05 at 03:51:26

coasting in netural??

IP Logged
marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
Reply #2 - 08/25/05 at 06:27:58

I too have this intermittent squeal -- only when applying throttle -- and believe its the belt, however it could be something else. I noticed yesterday, during a light shower that the squeal had come back after disappearing for several weeks. I believe that it squeaks only when applying throttle because the belt is "active" or has force applied to it during throttle, placing more tension on the belt than when you are just coasting or, slowing down or whatever. It is D-A-M-N hard to figure out exactly where its coming from - I swear it moves to the other side of the bike everytime I try to listen for it -- drives me nuts! There are posts on how to fix the belt squeak though - just search - I just havent got around to fixing it yet (too busy riding !!)

I know what you mean by coasting in neutral by the way. (No offense intended the above poster)

--Mark

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #3 - 08/25/05 at 07:11:33

i agree with what marke2571 said,the sqeal happens when u apply the throttle,usually when the belt is to tight, try to loosen it up agood bit.

Also tighten all the exaust nuts and bolts.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 08/26/05 at 16:15:24

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
i agree with what marke2571 said,the sqeal happens when u apply the throttle,usually when the belt is to tight, try to loosen it up agood bit.

Also tighten all the exaust nuts and bolts.

Exactly.  A wet belt can squeal.  More so if the belt guard is missing like on mine.  However the biggest reason for belt squeal is too much tension.

Try to adjust the belt on the "loose end" of the gauge, or if you don't have the gauge, adjust it to where you can apply a full 90 degree twist to the belt in the middle.  And don't worry...a looser belt won't slip.

Note...because the swingarm and the front and rear drive sprockets do not travel through the same arc, the belt gets a little tighter as the shocks are compressed.  Do your belt adjustment with the rear wheel on the ground.  That way it won't be too tight when you sit on it.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #5 - 08/26/05 at 21:26:28

Pay no attention to alignment marks on swingarm. Jack it up, spin rear wheel, adjust accordingly. Just went through all this.

Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 08/27/05 at 09:31:21

clueless wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Pay no attention to alignment marks on swingarm. Jack it up, spin rear wheel, adjust accordingly. Just went through all this.

Jim

I have to disagree.  There's two problems with that.  

Point 1 - If you jack the bike up and adjust the tension it will be too tight when you set it back down.  You need to leave the weight on the rear shocks to adjust the tension (unless you incorporate an extra amount of looseness)

As I mentioned above, the 2 "pivot points" for the belt involve the radius of travel for the swingarm and the front pulley.  The swingarm travel does not follow the same arc as the belt, and it gets tighter as the wheel goes up.  Adjust the belt with the wheel on the ground, is my advice.

<note: you will notice that the more performance types of chain driven dirt bikes do not use any chain tensioners, but have HUGE amounts of rear wheel travel.  Why?  Because the front sprocket and swingarm pivots are almost exactly on the same radius>

Point 2 - Why not use the swingarm marks?  What else will you use?  What is wrong with them?  Unless someone can convince me that they are faulty or incorrect, I'd suggest that they be used just as Suzuki recommends.  You can not just align the rear wheel by visually eyeballing the pulley and belt.  It is mounted on a bearing with slop and it sits against rubber bushings on the hub.  Curious?  Reach down there and see if you can wiggle the pulley in and out.  It is not fixed to the wheel hub and therefore provides no reference to wheel alignment.  I suggest that the marks be used.

I like to jack the wheel up for cleaning and waxing though  8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 15:38:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › odd squeal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.