Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Censorship is a slippery slope (Read 14 times)
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Censorship is a slippery slope
08/25/05 at 05:45:40

Quote:
In a pluralistic society it would be impossible for all people at all times to agree on the value of all ideas; and fatal to moral, artistic and intellectual growth if they did.
National Coalition Against Censorship (an organization in the USA)

Susan wrote:
Quote:
You'll notice this topic is considerably shorter as I deleted off-topic comments.

A post that by Still Savage that was left intact:
Quote:
LOL i my pipe ends past my jeans no worries there.    

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!.........Bet the Ladies are like.....

Susan,

I thought about what to write for a while before responding. Plenty of people come to the internet without common courtesy or respect for the other people who are affected by their conduct. This is a price that we pay. I don't think it necessarily justified the censorship placed on the forum. I think your reminder thread about forum conduct would have served to get the people who were sucked into the vortex to go back to their normal posts, and people who are just trying to annoy other members tend to go away when they are rightly ignored or requested to produce something substantial not just inflamatory retoric. No one was crying fire in a crowded theatre, and I don't think the forum was in danger of collapse, so I think the removal of the posts was pretty heavy handed. The post I chose above was from the thread that you cleaned up and is very obviously way off topic and could be considered offensive to a large part of the population, but it wasn't removed. I'm sure there are hundreds of other posts that are also off topic in this forum. I appreciate your attempt to restore order to the forum, and acknowledge your right to do so as an moderator, but I still question the means.

I'm not sure that he was referring to censorship (First ammendment of the US constitution) here, but Benjamin Franklin said:
Quote:
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
which also seems a little harsh. The internet is a rough place, but also a place of great freedom and a powerful tool.

Kevin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Censorship is a slippery slope
Reply #1 - 08/25/05 at 06:51:07

Quote:
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Must've been referring to the Patriot Act.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 08/25/05 at 06:58:05

I believe the intent was to remove only those remarks with hateful intent.  Personally, I consider that to be light-handed as opposed to removing everything that might possibly offend someone somewhere.  I might be the exception rather than the rule there; I don't know.

Rob

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #3 - 08/25/05 at 07:19:06

I have been to plenty of forums where the moderators wave a pretty big stick and I don't like that either. I try to be as light-handed as possible while keeping this forum focused on our lovely bikes.

What I did was delete a string of back and forth comments that included personal attacks, and name calling. This forum isn't about that.  Other stuff I usually let go unless it gets out of hand.

Its a beautiful day here today and I can't wait to get out and ride. Hope everyone else has a chance to do the same!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #4 - 08/25/05 at 08:21:07

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I believe the intent was to remove only those remarks with hateful intent.  Personally, I consider that to be light-handed as opposed to removing everything that might possibly offend someone somewhere.  I might be the exception rather than the rule there; I don't know.

Rob

I agree and believe it was very tactfully handled kudos to Susan for the tasteful way in handling this. The way I understand it crude but funny commit allowed. Abuse is not. Just my 2˘

8)

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 08/25/05 at 08:49:54

I'm gonna agree with Okie Mike's sentiments ... you're doin' a super job Susan ... kudos and keep it up!
Now if only the rain would stop so's I could get out and Ride ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/25/05 at 08:57:24

I agree that Susan is doing a great job adn is pretty good at not coming across as mean with the so called censorship on this forum.

I belong to a couple other forums where I get the impression from most of the posts made by the moderator(s) that they like being an @sshole about what they consider being "off-topic" or "inappropriate."

Keep up the good work Susan!   Grin

~ Munson

IP Logged
Still Savage
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/25/05 at 09:24:38

I applaud Susan for what she did, EXTREMELY lighthanded!!!

I also apologize if any of my comments offened anyone!

Thanks for such a great place full of info on this bike   Grin

IP Logged
Savi650
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/25/05 at 09:29:57

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I have been to plenty of forums where the moderators wave a pretty big stick and I don't like that either. I try to be as light-handed as possible while keeping this forum focused on our lovely bikes.

What I did was delete a string of back and forth comments that included personal attacks, and name calling. This forum isn't about that.  Other stuff I usually let go unless it gets out of hand.

Its a beautiful day here today and I can't wait to get out and ride. Hope everyone else has a chance to do the same!

I agree...  besides..  lets use up the limited space we have in this forum to talk about our bikes and how to make them better... not get used by some people to make offensive comments and other useless stuff.
Just a thought.

Ride Safe!
Savi650

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #9 - 08/25/05 at 10:22:20

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I'm gonna agree with Okie Mike's sentiments ... you're doin' a super job Susan ... kudos and keep it up!
Now if only the rain would stop so's I could get out and Ride ...

Same here on the rain. looks like I might get in a few miles after work today though!!!!! 8)

IP Logged
Michael
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/25/05 at 10:37:58

Hi there:

Being one of the guilty parties of losing it on this forum once, and then re-thinking my words, I fully understand how things can get blown out of proportion, and fists a blazing... I deleted most of my posts on the subject hours later, after I calmed down, and thought about my actions.
I fully agree with Susan, that there is no place for this behaviour on the forum. She deleted posts in an unbiased way, and gracefully as one can.

I say [glow=red,2,300]HATS OFF TO SUSAN FOR DOING A WONDERFUL
JOB. [/glow]
Not only is moderator a time consuming job, but the pay ain't that great either Wink  

Cheers

Michael

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 08/25/05 at 10:57:51

This site is privately owned, we are guests.  The owner has charged Susan with the very unrewarding task of trying to keep us in line.  If you don't like what she is doing you can complain to the owner.  Or you can walk.

Been there, done that:

I was a BBS SysOp '82-89 (where I canned a co-sysop for not deleting a message), a Moderator on the Intelect BBS Network, a participant in the Fido Flame Echo, a moderator at www.dslreports.com.  Been there, done that.  It is not a fun job, but it is a job that needs to be done -- and by someone who doesn't particularly like doing it.  If you think you can do better you can start your own site and your own forum.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not to mention that no male can ever win an argument against a female.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 08/25/05 at 11:02:07

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not to mention that no male can ever win an argument against a female.

even when you think you do.....

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #13 - 08/25/05 at 12:30:29

Great job Susan ! Thanks Cheesy

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #14 - 08/25/05 at 12:40:22

Two more quotes - first one I don't know where it came from:

"Freedom of speech makes it easier to spot the idiots."

Second:

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experince it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all" Helen Keller

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 19:17:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Censorship is a slippery slope

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.