Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
mirrors (Read 6 times)
Dragon King

IL
mirrors
08/16/05 at 16:34:01

I bought a set of aftermarket mirrors and installed them on my bike(look really cool). so here is the the problem they vibrate really bad can not really see anything. I tried shock absorders but they just made it worse. Any  ideas would be great! thanks 8)

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: mirrors
Reply #1 - 08/16/05 at 17:05:49

Here's a few ideas, though I haven't tried these myself. A barsnake supposedly reduces vibration in the handlebars. http://www.barsnake.com/   Also, I've heard of people filling the handlebars with either BBs or lead shot. Maybe heavier bar end weights could help.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 08/16/05 at 20:19:09

Try adding a set of bar weights. You can't use the end cap type on the stock bars though, the slugs are welded in. If you have HD or similar aftermarket bars, VS800 bar weights should work well. For the stock bars, you have to drill a hole in the bar where it can be covered bt a riser cap. Fill the hole with a birdshot/epoxy mix, let cure, add the bar cap, and off you go. It really is simpler to do than to type out.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/17/05 at 06:51:03

I've got this same problem, and after looking at the bar snake thing I wasn't sure what would be better.  I have Drag bars with chrome grips (no end caps).  Has anyone used the liquid version?  How well does it work?

~Munson

IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #4 - 08/17/05 at 12:46:47

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Try adding a set of bar weights. You can't use the end cap type on the stock bars though, the slugs are welded in.

Not sure what you mean by "slugs". On my 04 the end caps are plastic and I don't think they are "welded in" ... actually, one is missing.

Happened when the bike was rear ended with it's first owner. I bought a replacement, but couldn't figure out how to attach it (on the throttle side) until I noticed that I could push the throttle assembly "up" (away from the bar end) and, darn, there was space to fit it .. but it fell off after a few minutes Sad

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 08/17/05 at 20:40:30

Pop the cap off the bar and stick a pencil in the resulting hole. There is a steel slug welded in a couple inches from the end. That slug is the stock vibration dampener. The end caps are just cheesy decorative bits. Those welded in slugs are why bar snakes don't work on a Savage.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 08/17/05 at 21:25:45

Dragon King wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I bought a set of aftermarket mirrors and installed them on my bike(look really cool). so here is the the problem they vibrate really bad can not really see anything. I tried shock absorders but they just made it worse. Any  ideas would be great! thanks 8)

Well,  did you think about giving them back? Several aftermarket mirrors here and none (that I kept - if they rattle in the store they don't come home) vibrate like you describe - the stock ones rattle like he77 on the '95 and the reflect rotted off here and there, replaced those with aftermarket.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 08/18/05 at 05:58:36

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Well,  did you think about giving them back? Several aftermarket mirrors here and none (that I kept - if they rattle in the store they don't come home) vibrate like you describe - the stock ones rattle like he77 on the '95 and the reflect rotted off here and there, replaced those with aftermarket.

My stock mirrors are working just fine.  However, can you list the brand/model of the ones you've got that work well?  It could help some folks here now (or me later, if I decide to get better-looking mirrors).

Rob

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #8 - 08/20/05 at 18:30:31

I have given some thought to new bars all together. anyone with insight would be great. how and were do you get the size of the bars from. ???

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 08/20/05 at 20:49:38

Any non-dimpled Harley Davidson handlebar WILL fit and work fine. Find a bend you like and go from there. I'd get some better grips as well, without the silly little bar plugs. The stock ones on my old 98 have curled to the point that the kid doesn't want to ride it much. I can order in intersting new ones for as low as $11.99...so, I guess he'll be dropping by the new shop soon.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/22/05 at 08:05:12

I have a set of drag bars I ordered from Drag Specialties (along with chrome grips) and I actually think it made the vibration in my mirrors worse.  ???  But it could also be the dog bone risers I'm using too.

~Munson

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/22/05 at 08:07:28

man i really gotta see some pics of these bars. My mirrors vibrate alot  and they are stock. I just hold them with my hand when i need to focus  8)

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 08/22/05 at 08:09:41

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
My stock mirrors are working just fine.  However, can you list the brand/model of the ones you've got that work well?  It could help some folks here now (or me later, if I decide to get better-looking mirrors).

Rob

Rob, they were cheapies - bikemaster if I remember correct - I did discard a couple of sets where the glass  rattled in the frame while still in package -

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 08/22/05 at 09:37:55

Doesn't matter how good a name brand they are, bike mirrors are fairly poor quality. I've used and sold Emgo, Drag Specialties, CCI, Ness, Bikemaster(repackaged Emgo by the way).  USA made Ness mirrors are pretty good. The Ness Alternatives (authorized Taiwanese knock-offs) aren't worth the packaging they are shipped in.

I've ridden everything from Honda Sprees to full dress Goldwings on the road. Know what, except for the Spree, they all had "buzzy" mirrors. Motorcycle mirrors serve but one purpose, keeping the fuzz happy, since most states require at least one mirror. It isn't like you can actually see much in them.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 08/22/05 at 11:40:29

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Rob, they were cheapies - bikemaster if I remember correct - I did discard a couple of sets where the glass  rattled in the frame while still in package -

Thanks.  I guess I'll probably keep using my stock set since they work pretty well.  No impetus to change...

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:01:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › mirrors

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.