Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pick a muffler (Read 6 times)
Dan
Ex Member

Pick a muffler
08/15/05 at 18:00:54

Alright, so as a guy new to motorcycling (after quite some time convincing my wife...) and with a stock 87, I want to make mods including rejetting, new air filter, AND a new muffler.  Problem is, I don't think my wife will be really impressed if I put on a new muffler that wakes the dead, but want to improve performance.  Of the options that I have seen on threads on this site, what muffler would give the least sound increase with the most performance increase?

Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Pick a muffler
Reply #1 - 08/15/05 at 18:27:06

Howdy, man I'd toss a Jardine on there, get several of the cheap Champion plugs, and start throttle chop testing and reading the plug , have a look in the carb - does it have a jet needle with the 3 groves or not - it'll only wake the dead above 1/2 throttle.

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/15/05 at 20:05:31

spend $250 and get a screaming eagle and a lancers carb LOUD and FAST. i got an iridium plug that i haven't thrown in yet

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #3 - 08/15/05 at 23:56:40

I just installed a HD Dyna muffler on my 87, no re-jetting, already has a 155 jet, looks great, sounds quiet at idle and gives a nice deep sound when running at speed. The bike feels much stronger since I put it on. Big plus, you can get one off ebay for around $20 - 30 bucks. I just saw a "used" savage muffler go for $100, do the math ... You'll also save a couple of pounds in weight over the stock muffler. Here's a picture of mine:

I used the J C Whitney 7" heatshield for a smooth factory look.
Above all have fun!
Ike Grin

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Dan
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/16/05 at 17:01:37

I like the ideal of "relatively" quiet at idle and louder upon acceleration.  Anyone else use Dyna mufflers?  Are they reasonably easy to install?  Any specific instructions???

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 08/16/05 at 18:47:15

That's a very nice looking install.  Good job.
Smiley

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
savagethumper
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/16/05 at 20:29:16

I had a Jardien Muffler, and it eventually gave me a headache.  Blued really bad, and was pretty loud at highway speeds.  Sounded great, just too loud for my taste.  I have a HD Sportster muffler that I traded for, with fellow Savage owner Bobo.  I like the deeper sound of the HD muffler, and the chrome is pretty high quality.  Also bought a cheap shield to cover the connection.  The muffler does have to be "adjusted" to make it fit properly, "fit" being the operative word.  one other thing, the muffler tends to point towards the rear brake cable and blacken it with exhaust fumes.  Just keep it wiped regularly, and everything will be fine.

IP Logged
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Reply #7 - 08/17/05 at 02:18:11

Hey The Jardine is the "relatively" quiet one if you want to stay in a limited price range. just dont open up the throttle like a madman when you are warming up the bike in the garage before you ride off and you'll be fine.
I got a used one for sale in THE MARKETPLACE that will fit and bolt right on your bike if you are intrested. Grin

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:55:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pick a muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.