Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
unchopping? (Read 4 times)
threezukes
Ex Member

unchopping?
08/14/05 at 20:11:16

I finished chopping my bike but I'm not quite sure if I like it or not.  The smaller rear fender make the bike look small and as my friend put it "bug like".  

I'm thinking of putting the original fender back on, but keep it a solo seat with side mounted number plate and brake light mounted under the fender.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: unchopping?
Reply #1 - 08/14/05 at 22:46:18

threezukes wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I finished chopping my bike but I'm not quite sure if I like it or not.  The smaller rear fender make the bike look small and as my friend put it "bug like".  

I'm thinking of putting the original fender back on, but keep it a solo seat with side mounted number plate and brake light mounted under the fender.

don't listen to your friend,  set it in a high traffic location then move away from it and watch the number of people that slow down and look at it, there will be many.  sometimes i'll walk out to to my machine and and say to my self, dang that's a great looking bike.  for those who have seen thumper over and over sorry, for the new guys who havent seen thumper,  heres a look.  
anybody think it looks "bug like"?

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Reply #2 - 08/15/05 at 02:43:30

That's the poster child for the rear fender and the solo springer seat mods for sure!! No "Bugs" about it!

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 08/15/05 at 05:59:17

Small is good.  Light is good.  Large heavy unnecessary parts are bad.

Explain to your friend the concept of a "sleeper."  This is a vehicle that does not appear to be at all threatening.  Small, a single cylinder rather than a powerful twin or multi, no fancy cod piece, wings, styled wheels, swept-up exhaust.

Expose your friend to the Minimalist Artists in an effort to get him to understand that simple and clean lines are beautiful, not unfuctional fender sweeps.

And if he proves to be uneducatable, just tell him "My Ride, My Way!"

If you don't care for the look, change it.  But NEVER be swayed by the opinions of others.  You can't please everyone.  You only need to please yourself, and your spouse if any (not in that order.)

(Ignore that I am not on a bobber as I have a need for the large saddlebags that mount to the fenderrails.)

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Bobbing
Reply #4 - 08/15/05 at 06:05:22

Which reminds me, looking at the Bobbers, Sluggo's and others, made me realize that a large part of my objection to the modern look of motorcycles was that ridiculous tail sticking up in the back.  Lose that and a "naked" sportbike starts to look somewhat decent:

Just need to do something with that exhaust.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 08/15/05 at 06:07:21

I agree with Paladin.  Your ride, your way.  The chopped Ricky Nelson line was good.  I am always torn between my desire to be minimalist and my desire to be able to carry stuff.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 08/15/05 at 09:40:39

The smaller rear fender make the bike look small and as my friend put it "bug like".  

I don't think "bug like" is a bad thing, especially if you are a Suzuki designer. A lot of the new Suzuki's look like insects. What bug  do you think Suzuki used to inspire  the V-Strom?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 06:59:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › unchopping?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.