Send Topic Print
Struts (Read 7 times)
jrm8486
Ex Member

Struts
08/12/05 at 20:16:40

Has anyone tried this yet, I love these struts
http://www.bikepics.com/members/choppacentral

I wish I could make some like that I'm not that handy.
Also wondering about the stress this would bring to the rest of the bike.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Struts
Reply #1 - 08/12/05 at 20:50:38

doesn't anyone know how to crop pictures. Shocked

this subject has been discussed at length just this past week.  

i'll do some pretty wild thing but not that one. the stress on the left shock mount would be great. look at the way it's welded on. it would need some major reinforcement.

here's the link to the last discussion on 8.1.05
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

i know we live in a instant gratification society, and it's easy just to ask your question, but.....it would serve new members well to read back though the posts before asking, this as many of the questions here have been asked over and over again. each time that happens there are fewer and fewer responses. by reading back you will also get to "know" forum members and how they respond to different situations. max and greg are true wrentchers. paladin, savage rob are great concept guys, perry he's a great guy, me i'm either a smart arse, or the voice of reason, it just depends on the set up. gitarzan well what can you say, a true character. lancer, he really knows carbs and exhaust, that along with slavy, and clive, btw any body heard from clive recently.

this is not meant to be harsh, more a gentle reminder.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 08/12/05 at 21:28:15

You forgot me...the resident HD a$$hole.  Grin

Who happens to have been building choppers for 18 years and has seen plenty of broken Japanese frames due to struts. The ONLY Japanese frame safe to run struts on is the CB750K, pre-1980.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 08/12/05 at 21:49:40

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
You forgot me...the resident HD a$$hole.  Grin

like all oscar acceptance speeches, someone gets forgotten. my apoligies.. Cheesy

IP Logged
jrm8486
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/13/05 at 05:47:09

I'm sorry that we are not all perfect like you. Just trying to be friendly and asking questions about some things. Don't need to be made to feel like a chump. This will be my last posting on this site.

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/13/05 at 07:22:59

JRM - Don't let it bug you; stuff happens.  You know that bikers aren't the most sensitive types...myself included, of course.  Most folk's bark is worse than their bite.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 08/13/05 at 07:23:02

Nobody is trying to make you feel like a chump.

Many of us started out on the Heise forum. Which is dead 90% of the time now. Over abundance of repeat questions eats so much bandwidth that his server probably locked the site down. Not surprising, the site started in 1998. And the attitudes over there from a couple of old codgers make Sluggo and Greg on a rant seem as nice as neophyte Brownie Scouts.

As far as I go, I calls it like I sees it. Can you strut a Savage frame? Sure. Call me when the rear downtube shatters, I've got a fullsize truck and work at a bike junkyard. I can always use spare parts. Or adapt a Triumph/BSA/Norton or Sportster bolt-on hard tail kit and make a proper rigid out of it. Mmmm, chain driven rigid thumper...for a couple hundred bucks and 2 hours of tinkering. Almost makes me want to stay at the multi-brand shop instead of taking over the parts and service departments at a Harley shop...NOT.

Come over to TheHorseMag dot com and ask your strut question. You'll get the same answer, but nowhere near as civilised a response.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 08/13/05 at 12:52:18

jrm8486 FSO X2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I'm sorry that we are not all perfect like you. Just trying to be friendly and asking questions about some things. Don't need to be made to feel like a chump. This will be my last posting on this site.

dude, if i was trying to make you feel like a chump i wouldn't have answered your question, and provide a link to past discussions.  
i was just stating a fact every time someone new asks a question that's been discussed over and over again it gets less responses, therefore you don't get all the answers you need.  

btw  i am certainly not perfect, as a human i make mistakes every single day, and i can own up to them.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #8 - 08/13/05 at 12:58:07

Sluggo (and others),

You might want to remind people anytime you suggest that they search the site to set their browser to search back further in time than the default.

I've made the mistake of searching for things that I knew existed but couldn't find because I had the setting too recent.

A lot of things happened in what is considered ancient history online.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 08/13/05 at 13:55:32

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Sluggo (and others),

You might want to remind people anytime you suggest that they search the site to set their browser to search back further in time than the default.

I've made the mistake of searching for things that I knew existed but couldn't find because I had the setting too recent.

A lot of things happened in what is considered ancient history online.

your point, like the one on top of my head is valid.
when i joined the fourm  i physically went to back to the begining and read all the subjects, then i read all the posts that were of interest to me. it was time well spent as i learned alot about the machine and the people who were here.  people come and go, but their thoughts are left behind. so an answer can come from someone who is no longer here, that and there's been some pretty intresting/funny conversations going down.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 08/13/05 at 15:56:33

jrm8486 FSO X2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Has anyone tried this yet, I love these struts
http://www.bikepics.com/members/choppacentral

I wish I could make some like that I'm not that handy.
Also wondering about the stress this would bring to the rest of the bike.

Hmm, the owner needs to fix the head seal/plug leak.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/13/05 at 22:02:32

is he really not going to post on this site anymore?

bud if someone offends you stick up for yourself dont cry and run off. I think you have lots of good opinions and a really nice bike. but you gotta be a little more thick skinned around a bunch of bikers  Grin

i really hope you read this and continue posting.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 08/13/05 at 22:34:36

I dunno what it is.  I've seen it a few times where folks take things personally that I wouldn't have.  Maybe it's just me.  Anyway, I'd prefer they go somewhere and cool off and then come back to the site.  If they just can't see their way to come back, it's probably for the best for all concerned.  The animosity, while mildly amusing sometimes in the near-term, is really not all that much fun in the long run.

Now, the struts.  They do look cool but I really like my spine intact.  If you have to, be sure to get a good springer seat first.  Best of luck!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 08/14/05 at 02:49:00

That's a fine looking LS Custom to be sure ... but my poor old deteriorated L3 lumbar winces just lookin' at those struts ... if t'was my bike, a nice set of blacked out rear shocks would replace those struts ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #14 - 08/14/05 at 11:45:37

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Come over to TheHorseMag dot com and ask your strut question. You'll get the same answer, but nowhere near as civilised a response.
-WD

Yup.  FAR less civilized, but that's why I like it.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 02:40:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Struts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.