Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike wont start! ARGH! Please HELP (Read 11 times)
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Re: Bike wont start! ARGH! Please HELP
Reply #15 - 08/14/05 at 04:37:44

Don't hold back now, Show us some pics. and the how to do it info!!! Grin

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #16 - 08/14/05 at 05:46:43

dannimal wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Don't hold back now, Show us some pics. and the how to do it info!!! Grin

just posted it in tech section  Smiley sent paladin fotos to add.

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #17 - 08/14/05 at 06:52:47

You Guys are lucky just having to take the tank and seat off, On KLX I have to take off two side panels and two rad scoops as well to get at the plug.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Weez
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 08/14/05 at 07:19:14

Well this is great, all these replies, and I think I know what my problem is, I made a big mistake.

I have been running the bike on "PRI"...I thought this meant "primary tank" - as appose to reserve.  

"in one of his posts he said yah it was in prime which leads me to believe he had it there the whole time even after add gas and charging the battery which would be bad"

This is exactly what i've been doing...crap...well I guess i'll change the spark plug, but have a I messed anything else up?

And, why is there a "PRI" option, it seems a reserve and regular would be all you need...when are you suppose to use it?

My bike is a 1986, I hope I havent ruined anything more than the sprk plug...

Weez

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #19 - 08/14/05 at 08:57:30

The "on" and "res" allow fuel into the carb via the vacuum operated diapham in the petc0ck.
In "pri" the fuel bypasses the diaphram (on all time).
I use "pri" if I have drained the float bowl or suspect other fuel delivery probs.
Leaving in prime would not have any adverse effects because the carb is a venturi action( somebody correct me if i'm wrong)

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #20 - 08/14/05 at 09:01:52

you use the pri to fill the carb up after it's been drained or you have run out of gas - you see on and res are both controled by vac and will not let any gas flow unless the engine is running - if the petc0ck is working correct- which leads to danger of running in pri - if the float doesn't shut the gas off you can have fuel leaking all over the place and into the engine - like a failed petc0ck and do -

the thing to check is the oil - look in sight glass do have the normal amount or is it over full?

if it's over you need to change the oil like now.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #21 - 08/14/05 at 09:10:01

i dont beleive you hurt anything mechanically,running on prime (pri) lets gas flow into the engine even when the bike is not running be cause there is no vacum,u use prime to start the bike after u completely run out of gas,(on,and,reserve) it fills the caburetor with gas,also use it when u do any carb mods that require draining the gas from the carb. when u take the plug out spin the
engine over gas should come out fixing your problem.

the spark plug might not be damaged, but if u take everything apart u should change it ,instead of putting it all back together and still wont fire.

IP Logged
Weez
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 08/14/05 at 10:31:29

hey all,

thanks for all the great advice and help...I spent about an hour today with my good friend working on it.  We took out the spark plug and tested it for fire (grounded it and watched for a spark)...when nothing happened we realized that was probably the problem.  The spark plug was still in good shape, so my mechanicaly inclined friend cleaned it with a rag, his finger nail, a knife and other various pointy objects.  WE then tested for fire again, and presto!  Good to go, so we put it back together and she runs wonderfully.  Then of course as I am ready to go for my first ride it starts raining...blah..oh well, i'll go later tonight.  

So! It works now, the spark plug was the issue...and P.S. it is a b*tch to change!  man, its brutal.  I like the door idea but was hesitant to do it right now...maybe later...anyways, moving on to the next issue- the end caps of my handlebars keep falling out.  i'm just going to put a pop-rivit in them.  

Weez

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 08/14/05 at 18:35:51

i think you exagerate Weez  Grin Its not so bad. Like i said i did it just lifting it and moving it to the side while using my knee and the bike fram to hold the gas tank up i changed the plug   8) it only took like ten minutes

IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #24 - 08/14/05 at 18:41:14

Only problem I've ever seen with leaving it on prime other than the plug drowning is if the needle sticks open it will fill the crankcase and airbox (seen this possible bomb waiting to explode on a 4 wheeler that came in to the shop, said the battery was dead, it was actually gas-locked, gas everwhere!)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 03:30:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike wont start! ARGH! Please HELP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.