Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Couple "quick" questions... (Read 3 times)
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Re: Couple "quick" questions...
Reply #15 - 08/13/05 at 01:37:30

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
before you work on the carb bowl put a shop towel over the starter as anything you drop will go into the slot like the brass washer that goes under the jet to hold the needle jet tube in place.

Thats wot i forgot to do...DOH!  :'(

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 08/13/05 at 15:31:20

gazab44 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Thats wot i forgot to do...DOH!  :'(

Well, it gives you a place to look!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #17 - 08/14/05 at 12:15:15

j&p cycles have alot of good parts. I was having truble finding an exhaust for my 87 savage and they had one. also if you go to your local harley shop they sell a powder to clean the color off your exhaust. 8)

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #18 - 08/15/05 at 21:09:38

Both these questions need to be placed on the FAQ, next to the Newbie notice.

Probert31 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Just got a new Boulevard S40.  Since the initial 600 mile service, about 150 miles ago, I've noticed a discoloration of the header pipes.  After a little research, I found that discoloration is mainly due to "tuning characteristics, cam timing, carburetor jetting, overheating, and so forth, and is NOT caused by defective manufacturing."  Do you guys know any way I could figure out why I'm havinbg this problem?... Also, I have been having problems down shifting... 

My gearbox was quite stiff, the 3-4 change required more effort. The dealer did the 400 mile change free as it was purchased there used w/ just over 400 on the clock, so ran that to about a 1100-1200 miles to let things seat and switched to 15-50 Mobil1 (red cap). That and about another 3000-4000 miles with changes @ about 2500- 3K (miles) and the gearbox shifts consistantly. I try not to abuse the bike and hope to get a long service life, however sometimes traffic requires WOT.
This not a Harley pushrod, but an OHC design that must push oil up to the top end where it maybe subject to more heat transfer.

Intend next to mix 1qt. of the new 'bike' 20-50 M1 and top off w/ 15-50 M1 red cap or 10-40 M1. The 20-50 likely offers the best gearbox and temp  protection, however word has it that the Savage oiling system was compromised in production or perhaps the top end oiling is marginal. (someone managed to kick the oil filter cover off last week, it must make pressure) so when cold also need a low viscosity to get oil to the top end ASAP, so again consider your riding style and climate, and suffcient warmup.
Consider an oil that will flow when 1st cranked and still provide the best high temp stability in your new air-cooled thumper.
As far as your headpipe goes, if you ride it, it will turn, even if you change the jet.
You have a lot of reading to do here at SS.com.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:29:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Couple "quick" questions...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.