Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gas tank removal (Read 23 times)
mtstringer
Ex Member

Gas tank removal
08/08/05 at 09:56:49

Hi just bought a 1987 and the tank is in great shape but it is a sea/teal green with pink flames.... now I really don't have anything against pink flames but I would rather have a solid tank.  Are the tanks pretty easy to remove?  Anything special to consider like hidden bolts with the air box like in previous post?
thanks
MT

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: Gas tank removal
Reply #1 - 08/08/05 at 10:16:50

there are two bolts under the nose of the seat,take those out then disconect the fuel and breather lines from the petcock.then just pull it back and to the left it should slide off.
good luck

IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #2 - 08/08/05 at 10:48:09

I would add to be careful no to loose either of the two rubber tank supports. They are donut shaped pieces of rubber that the tank sits on (one on either side of the frame tube)

It's easy for one of these to fall off and roll away without noticing it .. and then when you re-install the tank ... you wonder why it rattles when you go over a bump;-)

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

IP Logged
Clark

Reply #3 - 08/08/05 at 11:06:28

Before you start, turn fuel lever so the handle points forward to shut off the fuel flow.

Besides the fuel line and vacuum line, you must also take the spedometer cable (large sipiral covered) loose from the tansmission.  The only special thing here is that there is a small gasket where it mates to the transmission.  It is kind of like a water hose washer, but smaller.  This always pops out when you are not looking and can lead to oil leaks if you do not put it back in.  The key to putting the transmission cable back on is to 1) route it outside ther frame, 2) put the gasket back in, and 3) line up the cable end that has a keyway with the slot in the transmission housing.

Also, as you are removing the tank, you will find the fuel petcock wants to scrape the paint from the frame.  You can put tape on the frame to keep the scraping down.  This hitting of the frame by the petcock is why you slide the rear of the tank to the left when you initially remove the rear bolts and pull up on it.

After the petcock clears, you begin to move the tank up and reaward.  There are two rubber frame bumpers hidden towards the front of the tank that  you must get the tank off of.  The slots in the tank are open to the front, that is why you must move the tank to the rear.  Once it is clear of these bumpers you must lift straight up.

Do not forget that there is an electrical cable attached to the tank.  Once it is clear of the bumpers, hold the tank in one hand (helps if the fuel is nearly gone) and against your knee.  Use the other hand (or someone else) to unplug the single electrical connector.   This must be plugged back in of course when you reinstall.

Putting it back on is the reverse

1) plug in electrical connector
2) make sure rubber bumpers have not fallen off
3) place tank with downward mostion until bumpers are in front of the tanks slots
4) Slide tank forward and to the left so petclock slides by frame
5) Route speedo cable and attach (watch for washer)
6) Reinstall bolts into tank rear being careful not to pinch the small wire that runs on the left side of this area.
7) Reinstall vacuum hose and fuel hose
8) Turn petcock to on positiion (handle down)
9) Ride

You may want to add a small motorcycle fuel filter while you are at it to the fule line from the tank.

The whole process is not that bad, it only sounds like it.  You get the feel for it quickly.  My tank has been off 20 times now for carb adjust, oil leak fix, etc.

Clark

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 08/09/05 at 00:29:46

SadJust a note ... because of slight tolerance differences in frame manufacture (the Savage isn't a precision instrument after all ...) it may be necessary to remove the petcaulk altogether in order to remove the fuel tank; in which case you have to drain the tank first. This is the case with my LS; there's no way my tank can come off without doing this ... and I've read that some other owners have to as well.
Next time though, I'm gonna try just loosening the petcaulk instead of removing entirely to see if that'll work ... still gonna have to drain the tank though ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #5 - 08/09/05 at 10:47:16

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
SadJust a note ... because of slight tolerance differences in frame manufacture (the Savage isn't a precision instrument after all ...) it may be necessary to remove the petcaulk altogether in order to remove the fuel tank

I agree. I highly recommend removing your petc0ck. I did this when I rejetted and removing the tank without the petc0ck on was a breeze. Removing and reinstalling the petc0ck was very easy. If you leave it on you are almost guaranteed to scratch up the frame if you manage to get the tank off.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 08/09/05 at 10:53:19

Yeah, I just put some electrical tape on the spot that scratches.  It still rubs coming off but it works.  I may try loosening/removal of the petc0ck next time though it's nice not to have to drain the tank.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mtstringer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/19/05 at 06:58:37

thanks for all the posts, had to use them to take the tank off for a wet spark plug.  Worked perfect!!

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/19/05 at 08:16:15

dang, now I gotta go out and check for that speedo thing!  Never noticed it, hope it's still there...no leaks... Grin

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/19/05 at 08:48:30

Another way to take care of the problem with the petc0ck is remove it when you take the tank off and then when you go to re-install the tank just get some hose and relocate it away from the tank.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #10 - 08/19/05 at 09:00:39

its impossible to relocate the petc0ck,unless you get another petc0ck with a inline filter and weld up the hole in the bottom of the tank,which is not all that smart.

IP Logged
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 08/24/05 at 10:12:32

What's the easiest way to drain the tank?  Without a massive spill I mean.  Do you remove the fuel line from the petthing while the valve is shut and adjust it to on?  Thanks.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #12 - 08/24/05 at 10:37:23

i always leave the fuel line on the petc0ck and take it off the carb then put the hose in a gas can and turn the petc0ck too prime it takes awhile but no leaks! Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 08/24/05 at 11:22:18

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
i always leave the fuel line on the petc0ck and take it off the carb then put the hose in a gas can and turn the petc0ck too prime it takes awhile but no leaks! Cheesy

That's the way I've done it too.  I sit the gas can on top of an upside-down Home Depot bucket and it's at just about the right height.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #14 - 08/24/05 at 11:39:02

8)For draining the tank, I bought a length of clear pvc hose, same i.d. as the OEM fuel line and connect this to the petcaulk & route to gas can on the ground (or floor of my shed) ... works like a charm!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 04:04:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas tank removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.