Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacing the Handlebars (Read 11 times)
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Replacing the Handlebars
08/06/05 at 22:43:36

My 87 has the straight bars and they seem a bit narrow, don't like the Buckhorns, but I do want to put on some a little wider. Got a free 1" , which is about 6" longer and has about a 3" pullback. Can anyone guide me to a thread or tell me how to do the swap? Never done one Grin
Thanks
Ike

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Replacing the Handlebars
Reply #1 - 08/06/05 at 22:48:11

Come down to the shop. I'll take care of it. No charge.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/07/05 at 02:18:01

Wish I lived around you.  So where would you rate the difficulty of this?  I don't know exactly how it is done but I'm sure I could find info on it somewhere.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 08/07/05 at 09:21:55

Difficulty? On a scale of 1-10, unless you need to change the brake hose or the cables, it's all of a point 5. Involves 8 allen head screws, 4 phillips head screws,  and 10 pieces of fake chrome to pull.

Step 1: remove the switch boxes by removing 2 phillips screws from the back of each box. Seperate the switch halves, let hang down out of the way.

Step 2: Pop out the two chromed plastic plugs in each lever/mirror perch assembly. Remove the allen screws. Set parts on bench, but let the master cylinder free swing on the hose, won't hurt it.

Step 3: Pop out the two chromed plastic handle bar end plugs. Throw them away if you plan to use different grips. Or set on the bench/floor for re-use. Slide the grips off the bar, you may need to twist the left side a good bit to break the glue bond.

Step 4: Remove the four chromed plastic plugs in the riser caps. Remove the allen screws and lift off the bar. Don't let the bar fall onto the tank (dents) or headlight bucket (breaks easily, chromed plastic).

Installing the new bars is a reverse order process. Once the grips are installed, temporarily hold the switch housing in place to mark where the locking pin holes need drilled OR grind the pins out of the switch housings.

Takes longer to type the instructions than to do the work on the bike.
-WD

Oh, the riser screws are 6 or 6.5 mm. The perch screws are 5 mm.  Don't be surprised if the riser bolts are oxidized in place. Steel bolt  into an aluminum assembly. Replace the riser allen bolts with M8-1.25 stainless steel.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 17:32:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacing the Handlebars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.