Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seat Pad? (Read 14 times)
SniperZ
Ex Member

Seat Pad?
08/02/05 at 23:38:27

I own an '05 S40 and love the bike except for one thing--riding it absolutely kills my tailbone!  Even a short ride of 2-3 miles leaves me in pain.  I'm not talking about the typical monkey butt or numbness, but PAIN!  None of the other bikes I owned were anything like this.  It's actually gotten to the point that I'm still in pain as I sit on my sofa typing this after my 15 mile ride home from work two hours ago!  I bought an AirHawk seat pad and it's an improvement but not much of one, plus I don't like the way you "roll" around on the air cushion.  And yes, I have the pad set per the instructions with enough air in it so that I sink into it but am still a little off the seat, more air only makes the rolling problem even worse.  The seat mod mentioned on this forum won't help since raising the front of the seat would put more of my weight on the seat hump and only make the problem worse.  I had a Suzuki Gel seat on my Marauder and it wasn't really much better than the stock seat, so I'm not about to spend $200 for zero improvement, especially after dropping $150 on the AirHawk for pretty much nothing.  So, I am considering purchasing a new seat pad either a gel or a sheepskin one.  I like the fact that the sheepskin pad will conform to the stock seat and cover the hump that hits my tailbone but will it be enough padding to reduce the shock from the hump??  Maybe two sheepskin pads??  So, anyone here that has a seat pad of any type PLEASE give me your input, suggestions and opinions of your pad.  If I can't find a way to stop the pain I'm going to have to trade the S40 in on something more comfortable--which is just about anything else on the road!  Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Seat Pad?
Reply #1 - 08/03/05 at 00:39:20

seat comfort, like speed in racing is tied to how much you want to spend.

the conditions you discribe cannot be overcome with a stock savage seat.  this subject has been discused at lenght here, many different options have been given. personally i went with a solo springer chopper seat. i got about 30 bucks into it. it has taken a few miles to match it to my butt. you may want to contact somelike corbin seats, a company that specializes in comfort seats. it would be a costly proposition but it would solve the problem as severe as you have it.

HONESTLY GUYS I SAID THAT WITH A STAIGHT FACE.  Roll Eyes

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 08/03/05 at 06:14:50

First, let me say that I am awaiting the arrival of a gel seat to reduce vibration-induced monkey-butt.  Second, I have a sheepskin pad on mine now and will probably continue to use it on the new one - mostly because it helps reduce sweating in the summer and is warmer in the winter.  I do have a suggestion though.

GEL-TEC CRUZER MOTORCYCLE CUSHION

This is made by a company that makes pads for wheelchairs and pads for hospital beds for use with coma patients, etc.  I have one and it works very well.  I just got tired of remembering it an hour after I left the house.  I still use it when attending my daughter's dance competitions.  It's beats the hell out of wooden high school bleachers.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SniperZ
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/04/05 at 22:05:41

Okay, so anyone have any theories as to why Corbin or Mustang don't make a seat for the Savage?  The bike has been produced for 13 years now, there are thousands of them on the road.  Considering how uncomfortable the stock seat is, it seems like there is alot of money to be made.  I wouldn't think twice about spending $3-400 for a Mustang seat.  I had one on my Marauder and could literally ride all day and be nothing but comfortable the entire time!

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/05/05 at 05:23:58

Certainly understand the issue.  Having ridden, and still do, hardtail mountain bikes off-road I know about an aching tailbone. While the Savage is not that bad, it could use some help.

Unfortunately, in my view, when Susuki went from a two piece seat to a one piece seat they went from bad to worse in terms of comfort.  I have a '02 so I have a two piece seat.  I did try the new Suzuki one piece gel set on my '02, but after a half mile from the dealership it was obvious that it was worse than the two piece so I returned and had the old seat reinstalled.

The reason I tell you all this is because I do not know if my seat comfort solutions will work for the newer one piece seat.

In any case,  I found that the lack of seat comfort is a somewhat complex problem and a number of issues needed to be addressed. 

1- a drivers backrest: Pro-Tac   Home Page
Motorcycle Driver Backrest
Address:  Pro-Tac                          
                  113 Richards St.          
                  P.O. Box 42
                  Iva, S.C. 29655  
http://www.protac.net/index.htm

2- a better suspension: Progressive Suspension shocks # 412-4207C+ (12.5" center to center).  

Ed Smeets
Global Motorsports
16920 Kuykendahl Road, Suite 231
Houston, TX 77068
281-893-3600
globalms@flex.net
www.globalcycles.com

Having installed the 4207C+ I think a slightly better solution would have been the 4207C which is 12.0" center to center, but I am picking nits.

Also, raising the seat front and shaving the hard rubber rear seat stops I found to be essential. Also, I use a JC Whitney pillion gel pad on the front seat.

These three mods were done for less than $400 and dramatically improved the bike.

Another mod that adds to ride quality and comfort is the: SuperBrace fork stabilizer

SuperBrace Inc.
5362 Bolsa, Suite B
Huntington Beach, CA 92649 http://www.superbrace.com/

Of all the modifications that I have made to the Savage the best one, hands down, is the addition of the Progressive Suspension shocks.

IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/05/05 at 07:04:47

Did you try the seat mod?  

I didn't  think it would make much of a difference, but it did for me.  Before the seat mod I went on a 250K one day ride.  I couldn't even stand after that because my tail bone hurt so much.  Then after the seat mod I went on a 300K ride.  I still got the " typical monkey butt", but at least there wasn't any more pain in the tail bone.  Doing the seat mod should cost you almost nothing and you can always change it back easily if it doesn't work for you.

IP Logged
skepticalnewt
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Upstate New York
Reply #6 - 08/06/05 at 06:26:00

I had a similar problem when I started riding my '05 S40. For about a month I thought I had made a big mistake buying it. Eventually, my big butt smashed it into shape(I guess) because it doesnt bother me that much anymore. Or maybe I just got used to it, kind of like developing muscles you dont use often. I do feel as though I sit differently on the bike than I used to.

But, I don't have any back problems that I know of and thats an important consideration. Might be a doctor should be consulted.

If you are tall it may be that the bike rocks you back on your tailbone more than it should.

It would be nice if Suzuki (or somebody) made a seat that was thicker(taller) to straighten out taller riders legs.

The only other thing I'd like to see, is wider handlebars.
Just a couple of inches would be great.

Just a thought,

SkepticalNewt

IP Logged
Clark

Reply #7 - 08/06/05 at 16:11:17

I raised my seat front 1" as everyone talks about using spacers in the front.  To make the rubber pads touch the frame I added thick rubber disks using a rubber glue from HD (Home Depot).  This helped slightly.  The biggest difference was an Airhawk seat pad.  My teeth used to rattle at the same frequency as the motor.  Both my butt and my mouth were numb after a ride.  The Airhawk seat absorbs so much of the seat vibration that it is a godsend (an expensive godsend).  I can go for a good distance now with no butt problem.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 08/06/05 at 19:38:49

SniperZ wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Okay, so anyone have any theories as to why Corbin or Mustang don't make a seat for the Savage?  The bike has been produced for 13 years now, there are thousands of them on the road.  Considering how uncomfortable the stock seat is, it seems like there is alot of money to be made.  I wouldn't think twice about spending $3-400 for a Mustang seat.  I had one on my Marauder and could literally ride all day and be nothing but comfortable the entire time!

It is my understanding that the reason Corbin does not make a seat for the Savage is that no one is asking them to make it.  Someone,  several months back remarked that after talking to a rep from Corbin they were told that there had never been a request for a seat for the Savage.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #9 - 08/09/05 at 11:22:29

The stock seat is really, really bad for any long distance riding. We should definately contact Mustang and Corbin and see if they might consider making a seat.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 08/09/05 at 15:49:15

Two thoughts:

1)  Have you ever tried sitting on the hump?  I don't mean the driver's seat, but where the driver's seat meets the front of the passenger seat?  I find this postion quite comfortable and safe.  This might put you right on your tailbone, but maybe not.

2)  This is gona' sound silly, but, you could make a metal seat out of 1/8" thick aluminum plate.  If you follow the frame to rear fender transition, it will form a "V" at a large angle which should put you on your buttocks instead of your tailbone.  This does require some other mods too, mostly moving electronics around to accomodate the much lower seat height.  You could conceivably make it out of good plywood, too, and carve a pad out of foam and upholster it yourself (upholstery is not too difficult).  An electric reciprocating meat carver works very well for cutting this kind of material.  I will be making a metal seat soon.

Good luck!

KS

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 03:37:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seat Pad?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.