Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
36mm AMAL CARB CONVERSION (Read 21 times)
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Re: 36mm AMAL CARB CONVERSION
Reply #15 - 08/09/05 at 10:29:25

ok there is no fabrication required on the carb end. just lay the cable down. it works the same its not going to affect anything the cable still passes smoothly. and even with the cable hanging on the switch side it still works fine just didn't look right. the part on top of the carb hides in the gas tank so it doesn't affect looks or perfomance and the part on the switch just requires a later model switch i dont know what year they started but maybee the people in this forum can help. i'll start a new post on it.

ooo one more thing on the right side of the carb there is a little valve cap you can get a few from the auto parts store for about $2 i recommened this just in case yours busts. when i first installed the carb i messed with it and i think i slid it on to hard causing it to wear. so last night my carb was shooting gas out the right hand side of the carb. Stopped at the auto parts bought the little cap and problem solved. Like I said I think this was my fault for fiddiling with it in the first place and i doubt it will happen to anyone else but for $2 better to be safe than to have gas squirting Cheesy

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 08/09/05 at 18:10:37

Ok more good and bad news. Always keep in mind no matter what you will always need a little fabrication.

Went to put on the the new switch. First thing i noticed was that the brake lever switch was different. I didn't think i had one but i realized what that was Cheesy anyway its different and i never had it working before so i pulled that whole assemble. Second the swith on the inside has a little tab. I guess the newer handle bars have a little hole where that little tab lines up and sits in my handle bars have no such hole so i got a pair of pliers and squeezed until i broke it the best i could now the switch sits flatter on the bars well acutally it fits perfect now. Problem number three. GUESS WHAT 87 and 99 SUZUKI ARE NOT THE SAME  Grin the main plug is completly different well while trieng to figure what to do i broke the solder from one of the wires on the old switch so unless i was gonna solder i was going to have to make the new one work. So i followed the wires i needed did some splicing and connected my stock plug to the 99 switch and hooked it all up.

MY BIKE BLEW UP.....   ???

j/k everything worked great. turn on the throttle cable sits nice everything looks good. I'm a happy camper. Except the right side looks so much newer than the right side  hehehehehe Cheesy

So to sum it up,
1 ) different brake switch but i dont use so i didn't care.
2) need to sand down or break off little tab inside switch
3) different plug so you need to splice some wires

Took me about 30 minutes to get it all done.  and I LOVE IT.

IP Logged
grail21

www.knucklebust
erinc.com

Reply #17 - 08/10/05 at 07:15:38

Mike
I have an 87 as well and came across the same issue with the throttle mount. My thought was to actually drill and tap a new hole into the back of the switch - doesn't seem to be anything on the otherside -  and just mount it that way. I think that would solve the problem. I haven't had time to try it yet because because I've been waiting for some other parts, but I'm hoping to get to it soon. Although, if this week has been any indication work wise, I might not get to it till next week.

----------------------------------------
www.knucklebusterinc.com
  IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 08/10/05 at 08:01:34

i think it should work to drill it in, but i dont think its as flat to do that, I dont think it will be perfect but should work and prolly alot easier than what i did.  and now that the cable sits firmly on the switch. it somewhat sits well on top of the carb. i dunno but i'm very happy

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 08/10/05 at 08:10:16

Ok the everybody gave us their info. if you have a 96 or older its a different assembly. I'll shoot an email to lancer maybe he can make a custom cable for the 96 and older models.  i can send him my old switch assembly and cable to see if that helps.

IP Logged
Steve J.

Reply #20 - 08/11/05 at 02:24:40

After all this the carb end of throttle cable still fits poorly?

IP Logged
grail21

www.knucklebust
erinc.com

Reply #21 - 08/11/05 at 08:49:51

When I go to do the drill and tap I will take pictures of the process so that folks who get this kit and have older models will have some sort of visual reference.  Unfortunately I probably won't get to this till next week, but as soon as I do it, I will post em.

----------------------------------------
www.knucklebusterinc.com
  IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 08/11/05 at 12:33:51

no i dont think it fit poorly i think i got it to work good kinda hard to tell as it sits under the tank but i think its finally just right. It would help if the L part was a bit shorter. but anyway, mine looks great works great, man i fly on that thing.

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 08/11/05 at 13:12:29

My 2000 is stock, and the cable was tough to reinstall at the carb end.  There almost wasn't enough room.  Next time I'll try to attach the cable while the carb is off the bike.  So even a good replacement might be tough to fit.

IP Logged
Steve J.

?Re: 36mm AMAL CARB CONVERSION
Reply #24 - 08/12/05 at 02:51:34

It is apparent that others beside myself have experienced a problem w\ the way the carb end of cable fits carb.

Has anyone come up with a solution to the carb end of cable fitting poorly to carb ?

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 08/12/05 at 06:56:19

Steve J.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear - I even had some trouble re- installing the factory cable to the factory carburetor.  

So for me at least (who doesn't work in a bike shop) it wasn't easy.  I think Mikedasavage has it right.  The sweep of the cable housing elbow gets in the way.  Of course, you need that elbow, and the frame tube is right there, so things get a little tight.  It eventually works.  I doubt that any aftermarket cable would be better, just because it's tight quarters.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 08:04:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 36mm AMAL CARB CONVERSION

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.