Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
36mm AMAL CARB CONVERSION (Read 21 times)
CAPTAIN-DISASTER
YaBB Newbies

"What I need to
hear, I have already
heard."

36mm AMAL CARB CONVERSION
08/01/05 at 13:59:36

Would like to hear feedback & comments of those who have done the 36mm Amal carb conversion.

How did bike respond after the conversion?

What modifications were necessary to complete the job?

Did you connect to stock airbox? If so did you use stock parts?

All in all any comments or input concerning this conversion.

Please email me at DARTHMAN@HOTMAIL.COM rather than to consume resources on the sight.

Thanx,

Steve J.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: 36mm AMAL CARB CONVERSION
Reply #1 - 08/01/05 at 14:21:21

Actually, I think the rest of us might like to see others' results with this conversion to help us decide on whether to do it (and possibly make the process easier).  I'm sure Lancer would find any feedback useful too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
jrm8486
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/02/05 at 11:05:21

I did this conversion and it was easy and my bike runs 10 times better. I have pics posted on bikepics under ew8486 or suzuki S40 .

IP Logged
Steve J.

Reply #3 - 08/05/05 at 17:08:47

What throttle cable did you use?
The one that came with mine the 90 degree carb end hits the frame rail no matter how I position it preventing it from seating properly in carb.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #4 - 08/05/05 at 19:48:11

I used a 38mm carb, but here's the posts I did shortly thereafter.

One Amal post:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

AND comments on Lancer's sale post:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=Market;action=display;num=11152...

I loved it, and will do it again when it's time to fire up the project Savage.  Might go with a 36mm if the motor is stock at that time, though.

However with some compression and a cam, 38 would be fantastic!

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Steve J.

Reply #5 - 08/06/05 at 02:18:14

Appreciate replies.

Have not seen any feedback on the throttle cable on 36mm. Think 38mm may have slightly different outside dimensions. Which result in carb end of cable clearing.

No matter how I position carb end hits frame rail. Preventing cable from seating properly in carb.

What about the earlier style throttle cable? Although I imagine there was problems w\ that & reason why we have new style.

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #6 - 08/06/05 at 05:21:34

Mine was the older cable, and I believe a few folks didn't like the way it fit into the handlebar throttle housing.  Didn't bother me any.

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/06/05 at 18:53:38

my throttle cable sucked Cheesy sorry lancer  8) but it did. I have a 87 savage and i had to buy a the switch from a 99 because the 87 has a different design. I also have the same problem where the cable doesn't sit on the the top of the carb right. ( i got the new cable) other than that i love the carb. I just finnaly got it adjusted correctly today. I had been running it with the needle on the center. I put the needle all the way up (the tab set to the lowest setting) Per Bobo instructions. Messed with the idle and air until i thought it sounded perfect. AND MAN WAS IT POWERFULL  still a little backfire but i like the way it sounds  8)  I hit a little over 30 in first 55 in second 65-70 in third  and well i didn't make it to fourth had to slow down as i wasn't on the highway (only have four gears) It sounds louder. the k&n filter looks great. Its got great pickup. runs Fast. I dont know for sure if its correct yet because my screaming eagle was already blue from the stock carb so i need to clean it up and see if it comes back, also i need to check the plug to see if its getting charred. I have an Iridium plugged but i haven't installed it yet because i wanted to do one thing at a time plus i need to make sure i have the carb adjust correct. The installation was a snap. Two screws that hold it into the engine. Way Simple. it was more work to get the rear fender off.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 08/06/05 at 20:25:34

So basically, the extent of the problem you had was the position of the throttle cable in relation to part of the frame, making it difficult to moun,.  and the throttle end of the cable being a different design.    I am sorry this caused frustration for you.

Virtually every thing I do on my Savage ends up requiring changing, adapting, or modifying something to make it fit and function.  This is something we have to deal with since we have a Savage, because no one makes performance parts specifically for the Savage.   It is part of the Savage life.

And this is something I want to try to help correct, so that we will have parts that are made for the Savage specifically.  There is certainly some trial and error involved in the process of creating those parts, but that is part of the learning curve so it is to be expected.
I am grateful for ALL of the feedback, that is the only way I know if I am doing things correctly.....like the problem you had with the cable Steve, I would not have known the 80's models have a different setup on the hand throttle.

RIDE WELL

IP Logged
steve j.

Reply #9 - 08/07/05 at 03:44:58

Hey Mikedasavage,

Can you tell me what cable you finally ended up using
& where you got it? It works w\ '99 throttle?

Thanx,

Steve J.

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/07/05 at 09:23:26

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
So basically, the extent of the problem you had was the position of the throttle cable in relation to part of the frame, making it difficult to moun,.  and the throttle end of the cable being a different design.    I am sorry this caused frustration for you.

I dont think you did , but if you did please dont take it the wrong way. Although i was a little frustrated the end result was worth it. Plus FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO KNOW Lancer is an Excellent Ebayer. I sent him a message if he could call me, he called me up spent a good 20 minutes on the phone helping me troubleshoot.  and the product was great. it just seems that for my application the cable was bad. but like you said everything requires a little fabrication. It works great and i'm happy with it. but to maybee help other in their efforts it doesn't sitt very well on top of the carb. there is a little box that hooks into the frame under the tank and that seems to be what gets in the way the most the cable kinda lays on its side under the tank instead of sitting up on top like an L. now for part two

Quote:
Hey Mikedasavage,

Can you tell me what cable you finally ended up using
& where you got it? It works w\ '99 throttle?

Thanx,

Steve J.

I am using the newest cable Lancer got for them.  I still haven't gotten the 99 throttle i'm just guessing it will work because when i spoke to Lancer he said he had i believe a 97 and it had that design so i'm guessing the design changed.  the switch will be here hopefully on wednesday.  the cable works there with the old switch it just doesn't bolt in so when you play with the throttle the cable moves around kinda loose but it doesn't affect performance or giving it gas. just looks odd. looks like its falling apart  Grin let me know if you need anything else i'll be glad to help.

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/08/05 at 21:21:16

got the new ignition switch today and i haven't installed it yet but i can see that its going to work correctly. it is different and has the screw piece for the custom throttle cable. Now the only issue is the throttle cable on the actual carb but that doesn't seem to be a problem anyway very happy now because i got a new good looking switch for $9 bucks and a good fit for my carb. So heads up on all the older savage owners, your gonna want to get a new switch assembly with your new carb.

IP Logged
steve j.

Reply #12 - 08/09/05 at 06:07:46

So as I understand it the carb end of cable still does not fit properly?

Has anyone come up with a cable that fits properly?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 08/09/05 at 06:40:42

steve j. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
So as I understand it the carb end of cable still does not fit properly?

Has anyone come up with a cable that fits properly?

Actually, if I'm reading this correctly, the cables DO fit properly on all but the older (86 and 87 models) bikes.

Is that correct?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Steve J.

Reply #14 - 08/09/05 at 10:10:32

It is the carb end that does not clear frame rails. It appears throttle end different on earlier models.

No mattter how it is positioned it does not fit properly.
It needs to be altered or replaced with different style.

I was under impression cable was designed specifically for later Savage. That is reason I purchased a kit. Bolt on - No fabrication. Either I'm doing something wrong or it is a design that does not work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 13:43:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 36mm AMAL CARB CONVERSION

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.