Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
intermittent problem starting bike (Read 2 times)
homesickalien
Ex Member

intermittent problem starting bike
07/31/05 at 16:35:42

Hi,
I've got a problem where sometimes (seems it's more often when there has been damp weather) the bike will not start. It will not even turn over. Most of the time it's fine, however, it's unreliable enough to the point where I can't take it anywhere unless I know there's a hill to push start it on to get me back home Smiley There is no problem with the battery. All lights turn on bright. It's as if one of the safety switches (Clutch, Neutral, Kick stand) occasionally has a problem and just won't allow the starter to do it's job. It's times like this when I really wish they still made bikes with kick starters. I'm considering taking my bike into the shop because everytime I have a few minutes to work on the bike, it starts fine and I can't troubleshoot the problem. I'm not sure if the repair center will be able to reproduce the problem either.

Are they any common issues that cause this that I could try first?

Thanks Smiley
Trevor

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: intermittent problem starting bike
Reply #1 - 07/31/05 at 17:55:01

homesickalien wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Are they any common issues that cause this that I could try first?

Thanks Smiley
Trevor

You have already named the first issues to check. Get in there and check those switches. Clean them with WD40 and check the wires closely.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
homesickalien
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/31/05 at 19:44:30

Thanks, I've managed to find the kick stand switch already and I tried to bypass it . It seems to be ok. However, I've been unable to find the other switches to test using the Clymer manual.  My biggest problem still remains that I'm unable to troubleshoot in a timely manner because the problem occurs infrequently, and only seems to happen when I don't have the time to troubleshoot it. When I actually have time, it starts up fine. I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction of being able to diagnose the problem, when the problem isn't occuring. I thought there might be some known issues with these bikes, and that I might be able to look for some signs of these known problems even when the bike is starting fine. I'm incredibly frustrated. I just want to be able to ride without needing a hill to get me home Smiley

Thanks,
Trevor

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 08/01/05 at 07:11:15

Simple...Check the wiring connectors under the seat. They are clear vinyl covered bullet connectors. That can vibrate enough to deform the cover a little bit, allowing water to enter the circuit and cause a temporary short to the frame. Mine used to do that. Make sure the connectors are tight, wrap them with tape, wash the bike with the seat off, and see if it starts. Worked on my 98.

It also helps to tape the harness plug where the CDI plugs into the main harness, under the left side cover/edge of seat area. I'm assuming you'd rather not rewire the bike to the standards it should have been initially?
-WD

Whatever happened to kicksarters, tinned wires, soldered connections, and points? Oh yeah, it used to be about motorcycles, now it's about money and a fashion show.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Trevor (Homesickalien)

Reply #4 - 08/02/05 at 09:01:02

I checked the other connectors under the seat at the same time I checked the kick stand switch. I did not wrap them in tape an dI will.

However, this problem does not happen only when it's wet. It has started before and allowed me to drive up the street to the gas station. I'd fill up, then the bike wouldn't start and I'd have to walk the bike back home. Very frustrating.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Also, does anyone know of a kick start kit for the LS650?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 08/02/05 at 21:31:02

No way you're putting a functional kicker on it. At least not unless/until you engineer a way to do it.

If it croaks after filling up with fuel, I'd suggest you run some gas out the tap into a clean baby food jar and check for water contamination, particulate (rust/rubber chip) contamination. Both the tank steel and the rubber fuel line are pretty cut-rate (especially the vacuum line the factory uses as fuel line). The tank on my 98 was delivered with rust already forming in it.  Angry
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
homesickalien
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/06/05 at 06:59:28

Thanks WD but that's not the problem. When the problem occurs, the engine doesn't even turn over. It's definitely not a fuel problem. It's likely either an electrical issue or a mechanical issue with one of the switches causing one of the safety circuits to be incomplete. However, the manual provides:

1. very little information about troubleshooting an engine that won't turn over. It basically just states to check the battery before moving on to fuel and ignition problems.

2. very little information about these safety switches and their locations.

Anyone else have any ideas? I'm really sick of not being able to ride this season and if I take the bike into the shop I'm pretty sure they aren't going to be able to do anything for me unless they can duplicate the problem, which isn't likely.

Thanks,
Trevor

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 08/06/05 at 07:23:40

I have found spider webs in the starter button and connectors on my '02. If you take the starter button apart be real careful, there are a lot of small springs and things that can get lost. Check the big harness connector under the front of the tank, mine was loose and gave simular starting problems. Luck on it,

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #8 - 08/06/05 at 08:13:23

You are giving very little to work with, but like a rule the first thing to by-pass is the clutch switch - as the name says it is under the clutch lever. You will see 2 wires comming from the left handlebar subharness and connecting with this switch. Disconnect the connector and put a paper clip between the 2 wires. After that make sure everything is secure and insulate.
Good luck !

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/06/05 at 12:02:03

When it doesn't turn over are you sure the lights are still on?

IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/06/05 at 16:54:22

When I bought my 86' about a year ago it had a shiny new starter switch on it.  This might be one of the common problem with Savages.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 09:46:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › intermittent problem starting bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.