Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking At A 1998 Savage (Read 0 times)
hyperblue1
Ex Member

Looking At A 1998 Savage
07/31/05 at 15:15:38

Hi,
We looked at a 1998 Azetec Orange Savage and a dealer who only sells used bikes.  It has 5,000 miles on it.  The previous owner added saddlebag supports, luggage rack with bag, engine guards, windshield, and headlight visor.  They are asking $2499 but we could probably get them down a couple of hundred.  What do you think of the year and price?

IP Logged
anya1122
Ex Member

Re: Looking At A 1998 Savage
Reply #1 - 07/31/05 at 15:47:22

I have a 98 orange savage since nov of 98.  I have had a few problems with backfiring and oil leak and it has quit running while going down the highway.  

First the back firing seems to come from the set screw in the carb not being set from the factory, they are nortorious for this.  I didn't know about this until recently and am the process of adjusting it to get it right.  One and a half turns according to the book, does not seem to do it.

The oil leak came from a hole drilled to large for the bolt up under the side the shifter is on. Oil would leak when setting still into a shallow well and when in motion it would blow out onto my leg and bike. There was another bike in for the same thing and they had a hard time finding out what caused the problem.This was corrected by the mechanic by putting silicone in the hole to seal it and it has worked for the past five years.

There is another part at the top of the motor I will have to ask my mechanic that had to be replace and I am thinking that is the reason that the motor stalled  when running at 60 or more.  First it would start backfiring and cutting out and then quit.  

AT 18,000 I have had the head milled this past winter.  I have put on 1,500 miles and have not had any problems with the engine so far.

I just found this site and hope that my experince helps someone else.

I love my bike, it is easy to handle and runs with the big boys.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 07/31/05 at 15:57:16

I had an orange 98...and I work at a used bike dealer...

$2499 for one with all the extra junk is about right. IF you want all the extras that is. If you don't make them pull the accessories, and get it out the door for 1800-2000.

Orange paint is pretty low quality pigment-wise. Expect to repaint it if it stays outdoors for a couple months. If it isn't "Hunter's Orange" still, it is already faded.

The shift linkage on mine snapped right at 5K miles... If it still has IRC tires, make the shop change them as part of the purchase agreement, they are way beyond too dry rotted to ride on. Conscientous bike shops won't sell/mount IRC street tires. When you get it home, change the sparkplug and the oil and filter. Stock plug is a decent unit, use 20W50 DINO OIL only. Mine preferred Castrol GTX car oil, did not like bike oil at all, or synthetic blend oils.

I gave mine to my son at the 14K mile mark. He's put almost 1K on it in two weeks. Pretty good little bike.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 07/31/05 at 17:17:03

anya1122 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I have a 98 orange savage since nov of 98.  I have had a few problems with backfiring and oil leak and it has quit running while going down the highway.  

First the back firing seems to come from the set screw in the carb not being set from the factory, they are nortorious for this.  I didn't know about this until recently and am the process of adjusting it to get it right.  One and a half turns according to the book, does not seem to do it.

The oil leak came from a hole drilled to large for the bolt up under the side the shifter is on. Oil would leak when setting still into a shallow well and when in motion it would blow out onto my leg and bike. There was another bike in for the same thing and they had a hard time finding out what caused the problem.This was corrected by the mechanic by putting silicone in the hole to seal it and it has worked for the past five years.

There is another part at the top of the motor I will have to ask my mechanic that had to be replace and I am thinking that is the reason that the motor stalled  when running at 60 or more.  First it would start backfiring and cutting out and then quit.  

AT 18,000 I have had the head milled this past winter.  I have put on 1,500 miles and have not had any problems with the engine so far.

I just found this site and hope that my experince helps someone else.

I love my bike, it is easy to handle and runs with the big boys.

How much did you have removed from the head?  What was the result, performance wise?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:16:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Looking At A 1998 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.