Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhaust leak at start of muffler (Read 11 times)
roughrider
Ex Member

Exhaust leak at start of muffler
07/31/05 at 15:03:18

Hello everyone. I have a leak or something going on at the end of my pipe before to goes in to the muffler? It has turned the pipe blue and gold in just one spot at the point where the exhaust is leaking at. Is this a gasket problem. This problem arose after a loud back fire occurred. There is a heat sheild in front of the pipe where it hooks onto the muffler. Couldn't see any bolts to check at this location. Any advise would be helpful Thanks. Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Exhaust leak at start of muffler
Reply #1 - 07/31/05 at 15:44:06

There is a paper thin gasket between the headpipe and muffler at that junction. If you pull the muffler without removing the system from the bike, the gasket is junk. If you install it the same way, ditto. Gasket is available from the stealership.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
roughrider
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/31/05 at 15:51:23

so I need to remove the exhaust system from the bike before I remove the muffler? Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 07/31/05 at 16:02:18

If you want the gasket to work, yes. If you don't want to fight with the muffler to clear the bracket coming off the frame, yes. At the very least, loosen the head clamp, and remove the heat shield over the foot peg, allowing the system some wiggle room while you are fooling with it. I burned out 3 muffler gaskets in a month, said screw it, and left it alone until I replaced the muffler/tailpipe assembly with something that sounded/looked somewhat decent.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
roughrider
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/31/05 at 16:25:35

since you changed your exhaust system are you still burning out muffler gaskets as often? My bike is still under warranty. It should be covered for that right? I have corrected my back firing problem will this aid in correcting the gasket problem? Thanks again for your imput!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 08/01/05 at 06:57:58

No gasket...I have a welder. Gaskets are an expendable item, not likely covered under warranty. My Savage shipped with a defective front brake rotor, was not covered by the warranty. Warranty is a joke, service managers/writers are encouraged to figure out a loophole so the part isn't covered.

Back in 98 when I cared about the warranty, I was told that "expendable items" aren't covered. What exactly wasn't covered: brakes (any component), wheels (rim, spokes, hubs, bearings), seals (any), fuel system (any component), bulbs, wiring, chrome, paint, belt (400 bucks at the time), starter (see belt), generator, levers, pegs, plastic.

My dealer wanted to fix a bunch of problems with my bike. He submitted a cover under warranty approval form, it was kicked back with that list on it. He fixed what he could, I figured out and fixed the rest with the help of Bert's forum (was the only game in town then).

Don't trust your dealer to fix any issues that come up. I know of one GOOD, one decent Suzuki dealership...Suzuki City in Biloxi MS and Butch's in Dyersburg TN...every other one I've been into was a sideline at a Honda shop.

F.T.F.  (if you don't know, ask, but it'll get censored)).
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 09:41:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust leak at start of muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!