Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
a cry for HELP!! -- Running now but not idling (Read 4 times)
mikedasavage
Ex Member

a cry for HELP!! -- Running now but not idling
07/24/05 at 11:15:09

ok i'm about to start crying like a little girl. I just got my amal mark 2 carb i thought i did everything correctly but i cant get my bike to start its like its not getting any gas i have no idea what i'm doing wrong. anyone have any ideas anything your supposed to do before the install that i missed?

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Re: a cry for HELP!!
Reply #1 - 07/24/05 at 11:20:26

did you put the p-thingy on prime ???

shawn

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/24/05 at 11:21:26

yea i tried moving it to prime but i have a little clear median on my fuel line and its like the gas is just sitting there like its not going in.  

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 07/24/05 at 11:28:18

Tap the carb bowl with the plastic end of a screw driver?

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/24/05 at 11:28:49

i'll try it
brb

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/24/05 at 11:31:32

no no luck tapping the carb bowl. there was a line on the top that had tap on it and says vacuum but i h dont have anything like that on the stock carb and i dont know if thats supposed to plug into anything?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 07/24/05 at 11:32:30

mikedasavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
no no luck tapping the carb bowl. there was a line on the top that had tap on it and says vacuum but i h dont have anything like that on the stock carb and i dont know if thats supposed to plug into anything?

First, do you gave gas in the bowl?

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/24/05 at 11:35:03

dunno. thats the thing its like its not sucking in the gas. If pull off the gas line it looks like the gas is just sitting on the end of the valve is starts leaking out but not alot and the rest comes out of the line. Like its not open or something but there was nothing that said i had to open it or do anything i just adjusted the needle like bobo said in the email. i gave the air mixture screw half turn away from its seat and installed the carb.

in my previous post i said there was a line that had tap and said vacum i meant had tape. A plastic line with tape on it that read the word vacum

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/24/05 at 12:53:53

ok i posted this on the barnett cable post but here is what i think

i think i might know whats wrong. i Had the fuel lines connected while installing the throttle cable. the amal has a big bolt on the bottom of the bowl. i pulled it off and there was gas sitting in it so i know the carb is getting gas what i think is that flooded the engine since i had the throttle open in full for some time while i was install the cable. Pretty stupid on my part i know but i completly forgot and just realized it.  

so i'm gonna let it set for few hours and then try and start it. thanks anyway

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Re: a cry for HELP!! -- Running now but not idling
Reply #9 - 07/24/05 at 14:30:47

i got it to turn over but will not idle as soon as i let go of the gas it dies any ideas?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #10 - 07/24/05 at 14:30:59

You also had a vacuum line on the old carb and that may be where the new carb line marked vacuum goes.  It opened the pet thingy diaphram.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: a cry for HELP!! -- Running now but not idling
Reply #11 - 07/24/05 at 21:11:56

mikedasavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
i got it to turn over but will not idle as soon as i let go of the gas it dies any ideas?

Sounds like you need to back up and regroup.  Chill.  A new carb will take some setup.  It ain't Windows....er, "plug and play".

Why do you think that holding a carb throttle open on a bike will flood the carb?  That idea only works on old carbs on cars that have accelerator pumps.  Forget it.  Your engine only sucks gas when then engine is running.

Have you tried to adjust your idle speed setting?  Once you have it running, stick something to jam the throttle ON and tinker with it....relax and make it work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 19:34:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › a cry for HELP!! -- Running now but not idling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.